Talk

Advanced search

Mother of the Groom- HELP!

(9 Posts)
charlotteshouse2008 Wed 12-Apr-17 19:28:29

Hi all. PLEASE, please help me to find the perfect Mother of the Groom dress for my MIL! We went shopping in London this week and couldn't find anything suitable so she is getting really stressed out and worried that she won't find anything. Tried all the usual haunts: Phase Eight, Coast, Hobbs, etc. but nothing she liked!

Bit of background: Summer wedding in a formal venue (city of London) so needs something with covered shoulders for the service, but perhaps flexibility to take off jacket, etc afterwards. MIL is early 50's, so young and stylish- nothing frumpy. She is very slim (size 8) so can pretty much wear anything and look nice. Nothing frilly, flouncy or frou-frou... she wants to look polished, chic and stylish.

I throw open the floor to your fabulous and brilliant suggestions! Thank you all so much! smile

Plink42 Wed 12-Apr-17 19:32:22

What about Debenhams-Rocha John Rocha do lovely clothing & true to size as well.
Where I live we have an independent shop,I brought outfit for my dd wedding. It was expensive but worth it. So perhaps there is sumthing like that where u live.
Good Luck

Yewtown Wed 12-Apr-17 20:10:05

What about Karen Millen. There are some beautiful fitted dresses
www.karenmillen.com/gb/womens/clothing/dresses/bardot-shoulder-pencil-dress/016906.html?dwvar_016906_color=15&position=89&cgid=dresses#page=8&start=89&categoryID=dresses
www.karenmillen.com/gb/womens/clothing/dresses/?prefn1=refinementColor&prefv1=Pink

Rudymentary Wed 12-Apr-17 20:25:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

calzone Wed 12-Apr-17 22:46:23

I would recommend sticking to one colour like a steel grey or blue and accessorising with colour.

Some gorgeous dresses around.

SesameSparkle Wed 12-Apr-17 22:54:19

House of fraser and John lewis are usually good for this kind of thing and the online selections are usually much better than the stores. You can order dresses by the armful (eg next day to a local waitrose), try on and quickly return. Look out for brands like ariella, adrianna papell, damsel in a dress, Eliza J - all quality occassionwear you wouldn't normally get on the UK high street.

LadyLapsang Wed 12-Apr-17 23:29:26

From your description of your MIL to be (stylish & size 8) I would think she could find something on her own. Do you normally go clothes shopping together? Might it be that she is used to shopping alone. Perhaps she could see a personal stylist in Liberty, Peter Jones, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols or go to a good boutique; otherwise what about Net A Porter?

BlackAzalea Thu 13-Apr-17 08:24:13

Probably not dressy enough for MOTG but I'm going to a wedding this weekend and wearing the red Savannah jumpsuit from Coast. I'm not a dress person and wanted something not too wedding-y that I can wear a lot afterwards. Will be wearing red shoes, gold jewellery, mini black fascinator (yes the dreaded fascinator ! but it's only a glorified hair clip with one tiny flower & feather so ok smile), a gorgeous black wrap with gold embroidery and pearls that I found in a local boutique and a blingy black clutch.

DandelionAndBedrock Thu 13-Apr-17 08:28:17

Gill Harvey has fab MOB type dresses - when we went they had a sale so dresses could be taken away on the spot, I think. The sale meant that we were limited in our choices, and ended up not buying, but the dresses were lovely.

Failing that, I would try a personal shopper at Fenwicks. What is your budget?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now