Talk

Advanced search

Unisex pickpocket proof bag

(11 Posts)
fuzzyfozzy Wed 12-Apr-17 18:05:08

Me and dh are off for the first time in a long time on holiday.
I could do with a bag for all our daily gubbins but he's had someone goin on about pickpockets in Rome all day.
So is there a bag that we'd both carry and it be pickpocket proof??

bingohandjob Wed 12-Apr-17 19:53:42

A crossbody with a zip was fine for me in several European cities. When I travel on my own, I often carry a (very ugly) slim passport bag which I slip under my top if I'm carrying money/tickets/passport day to day eg www.fjallraven.com/pocket but loads of cheaper ones on Amazon.

RavioliOnToast Wed 12-Apr-17 19:55:51

I saw someone with this kind of thing before, seems like a really good idea.

www.backpack-expert.co.uk/xd-design-bobby-anti-theft-backpack/257155?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=adwords&dfw_tracker=21789-257155

cRiNKlyCoCkapoo Wed 12-Apr-17 20:46:07

Jack Wolfskin - they're lightweight and unisex. I have one that I wear crossbody, it has zipped pockets plus the main flap is velcroed so difficult to open quietly.

HoneyDragon Wed 12-Apr-17 20:50:28

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01MRC9E22/ref=mp_s_a_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1492026478&sr=8-20&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=hot+tuna+backpack&dpPl=1&dpID=512-kfg6dRL&ref=plSrch&tag=mumsnetforum-21

This comes in other colours it has a fastened pocket on the back to put your wallet etc so easy access for you. Pretty much impossible for a pick pocket.

Then it has clips over the zips making the other pockets a pita to access too.

MyBootsAreMuddy Wed 12-Apr-17 20:57:11

Pacsafe bags are good. I have one that I got as a gift for when DH and I visited Rome 4yrs ago. It has a clip that holds the zip closed, lined with wire mesh to make it slash proof, has a special pocket for credit cards to stop them being scanned and tge strap is slash proof too as well as unclipped one side so you can wrap it around chair/table leg and then Lock 8t closed again.
They come in loads of different designs and colours and so could easily get a unisex one.
I think mine is the Pacsafe Citysafe.

MaryMarigold Wed 12-Apr-17 20:59:03

Riut Bags are amazing. Start-up company owned by a friend of a friend.

Here: https://www.riut.co.uk/

Niminy Wed 12-Apr-17 21:04:50

Healthy Back Bags have the zip to Rad's your back so very secure, plus you can open them without having to take them off. Also super-comfortable and have gantastically well designed pockets both inside and outside.

fuzzyfozzy Wed 12-Apr-17 21:07:17

Thanks everyone. Loads to look at 😁

GlowWine Wed 12-Apr-17 21:12:33

I've had an older version of this one for years and it's serving me well in Paris at the moment. It's not an explicitly pick-safe bag though and definitely no metal mesh against slitting.
www.thehealthybackbag.co.uk/healthybackbag/6204-bn#slide-0-field_product_images-8372
The main zip is against your body when you wear it, and you can quickly swivel it round to the front in crowded situation (like on a packed metro)
I was really worried about pickpockets too but it's all a question of attitude too. Be aware and you're probably safe.
On the other hand it's not massive. Big enough for a 0.6l water bottle a guidebook, 7in tablet, wallet, phone and bits and bobs but not enough for a family outing (DH carries another bag with sandwiches etc but that contains no money nor documents/valuables).

GlowWine Wed 12-Apr-17 21:13:38

X-post @Niminy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now