Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to coconut oil for body moisturising

(12 Posts)
LemonadeWithACherry Wed 12-Apr-17 11:51:13

I've been using coconut oil for about 3 years now and I think it's actually starting to make my skin drier. I like how it's cheap in Aldi and I can use lots of it and it does feel nice and moisturising when I put it on, it just doesn't seem to have a lasting effect. I had to uncover my legs for a hospital appointment last week and they totally showed me up with their flaky scaliness.

I have sensitive skin and cheap moisturizers often feel stingy and astringent, I also have keratosis pilaris although not so bad as it used to be.

I'm contemplating using olive oil but I don't know if it will make me smell a bit odd! Any recommendations for a cheap effective body moisturizer please?

bingohandjob Wed 12-Apr-17 12:03:54

I swear by Palmer's Cocoa Butter..I know some people dislike the scent but I've grown to like it. I buy it in Boots or Superdrug when it's on offer and stock up. Superdrug Vitamin E lotion is good, too. On offer at the moment www.superdrug.com/Skin/Body-Care/Body-Creams/Superdrug-Vitamin-E-Intensive-All-Over-Body-Cream-475ml/p/436314

DandelionAndBedrock Wed 12-Apr-17 12:07:39

I came on to say the big tubs of Superdrug Vitamin E moisturiser. They last for ages and I even got away with using it on my face once when I ran out of face cream.

poppym12 Wed 12-Apr-17 15:52:56

I use almond oil. Even a whiff of anything coconutty sends my skin into an itch frenzy but I find most creams to be too rich, heavy or scented.

applecatchers36 Wed 12-Apr-17 15:55:58

Yep food grade almond oil is fab, cheap, non irritating and mild (and obv moisturising)

WellTidy Wed 12-Apr-17 16:00:07

Flexitol for legs contains 5% urea and is very moisturising and cheap. If you want something more luxurious, I have found Rituals whipped body soufflé very moisturising too, but very light in texture and gorgeous fragrances.

LemonadeWithACherry Thu 13-Apr-17 10:16:43

Thank you for the tips, I have ordered the vitamin e and Palmer's from Superdrug as both are on offer. I like the sound of almond oil though, I imagine it smells of lovely marzipan like Method floor cleaner!

I have used Flexitol before but it smelled very medicinal.

WellTidy Thu 13-Apr-17 15:18:09

If you don't like the smell of flexitol, and I know what you mean, you could add a few drops of whatever essential oil you like to it when you squeeze or pull it into your hand. Flexitol is really cheap and really effective. But I've heard good things about the palmers and Superdrug vitamin e too, so good luck.

DandelionAndBedrock Fri 14-Apr-17 18:07:14

There is a great almond oil shower gel (well, not really a gel - it's oil) that smells a bit like marzipanny playdoh. I am obsessed with it - worth the price if you like almond smells (it lasts forever). It isn't hugely moisturising by itself though.

Plantpot83 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:10:26

I think that Aveeno is very good, I use the blue one on DD who has had eczema and it's the best cream I have found (I've tried loads of creams and oils for her skin) Its often on offer.

QueSera Fri 14-Apr-17 19:22:03

I have had great success with Superdrug own-brand vitamin E intensive (the normal is good, but intensive is even better). I buy the giant tub (sometimes buy one get one half price) and my skin has never been softer. Better results than much more expensive moisturisers. Good luck!

zippyswife Fri 14-Apr-17 21:35:54

Another one for almond oil here. Great for my face and body. So moisturising non-greasy and great for dehydrated sensitive skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now