Talk

Advanced search

not sure whether to return to my hairdresser now

(18 Posts)
angelcakerocks Wed 12-Apr-17 11:12:07

Been going to the same hairdresser for about 10 years, so overall has been good and I like the consistency of one person, as previously I found they kept leaving to travel etc just as I found someone I liked. But last time she really buggered my hair up - didn't listen to what I wanted and gave me a fringe I didn't want and which was also cut really badly imo. Quite an expensive salon but I like the salon. I've been going too long to find a new stylist in the same salon so should I go again, explain my thoughts and give her one more chance or find a totally new salon? wwyd?

angelcakerocks Wed 12-Apr-17 11:13:46

Also, generally I feel she's a bit 'scissor happy' and doesn't always listen to what I want/ sometimes cuts too much off. I'm happy with the cuts normally though as they last quite well iyswim

angelcakerocks Wed 12-Apr-17 18:26:57

bumping as I could really do with the MN wisdom!

nineanimals Wed 12-Apr-17 18:52:10

I think if she's been cutting your hair for 10 years and you've been happy with it, I would go back again. But when you do, explain how and why you weren't happy with the cut and see what happens.

Birdsbeesandtrees Wed 12-Apr-17 19:03:01

Are you sure you were happy with her before ?

When my hairdresser made a bit of a cock up with my hair I went back and she fixed it for free and did a lovely job. I feel even better going now because I know I something doesn't end up quite she will sort it out for me.

You dont sound like you have much faith in yours I have to say !

angelcakerocks Wed 12-Apr-17 19:08:24

Yes you're right birds I don't have as much faith as I should have given the amount of time I've been going to her! I've grown my hair and am not sure she's 'on board' with that iyswim
Perhaps I'll go one more time and explain things like nineanimals suggested and see what happens. If it goes badly again then I'll leave. Thanks flowers

BuckingFrolicks2 Wed 12-Apr-17 19:15:21

It could be an ill wind. I moved hairdressers under v similar circumstances and was bloody delighted with my new cut from the new place. Sometimes longstanding hairdressers stop seeing the potential in your hair.

angelcakerocks Wed 12-Apr-17 19:34:00

That's interesting bucking I have wondered I suppose whether I might benefit from 'fresh eyes' now tbh. It feels like a gamble in case I don't like a new one and can't go back
<overthinks it again> grin

Birdsbeesandtrees Wed 12-Apr-17 19:44:38

It's funny isn't it - the relationship between a woman and her hairdresser. I've had mine for 10 years or more.

stoplickingthetelly Wed 12-Apr-17 20:59:57

My old hairdressers recently closed so I went to a new one. Love my new cut. I didn't think there was anything wrong with my hair before, but I'm so pleased I was forced to change hairdressers. My new one has given me a fab new look, which I'm not sure I'd have gone for otherwise. I say go for a change.

Quarterfinalist Wed 12-Apr-17 21:02:23

Definitely go somewhere new.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Wed 12-Apr-17 21:11:23

Sometimes I think they get complacent...you've had them a long time, you're loyal, and they don't need to try as hard. Sad, but unfortunately my experience... I find if they've stopped listening to you properly, and it becomes almost a battle of wills to get the result you want, then it stops being a relaxing experience, which for me is part of it, not just the end result.

angelcakerocks Wed 12-Apr-17 22:31:12

It's been helpful to get opinions on this and I'm more tempted just to give somewhere else a try and see what happens spongebob I think you're right it does feel like you say. Just like I'm part of the furniture so no real effort made, and I feel like could be imagining it my hairdresser just thinks of me as 'a mum' and acts accordingly iyswim

angelcakerocks Sat 15-Apr-17 17:00:33

Just an update for all you kind people who helped me - I tried a new salon and am happy smile In fact it was quite a revelation to be listened to properly and made me think of spongebobs comments on how much my previous stylist had become a battle of the wills and not relaxing. So thanks for the encouragement, I'm glad I changed and it saved me £30 into the bargain shock

Parisinthespring Sat 15-Apr-17 17:41:56

Thank you Op, I love it when the op comes back to tell the end of the story. smile

angelcakerocks Sat 15-Apr-17 17:46:22

smile thanks parisinthespring

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sat 15-Apr-17 18:00:18

Result! smile

stoplickingthetelly Sat 15-Apr-17 21:34:40

Great, so pleased you like your new hair smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now