Talk

Advanced search

Help please! Post baby return to work wear.

(14 Posts)
DueJune16 Tue 11-Apr-17 21:12:09

I'm returning to work next month after having a baby 10 months ago and need some help with what to wear.
Pre baby I was a size 10 and would wear fairly fitted clothes. I don't need to wear suits or anything overly formal.
I'm now a 12 and the baby weight has stuck on my tummy, I'm really struggling to find anything to wear which doesn't cling to the wrong places even if I go up a size.
I'm probably not looking at the right things so i'd be very grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks x

NutellaCookie Tue 11-Apr-17 22:19:44

After having DC1 I stuck to simple outfits consisting of black or navy straight leg / tapered trousers, a simple top (often white) and a statement necklace + great shoes.

It made life really easy in the mornings and I felt professional and stylish too (without having to spend a fortune).

Most of my work clothes were bought from ASOS, Warehouse, Oasis and New Look.

NutellaCookie Tue 11-Apr-17 22:21:34

Similar to this pin.it/B5atj8f

DueJune16 Tue 11-Apr-17 22:22:36

Thank you, I will have to have a better look.
Need to stop buying the same things that I know no longer suit or fit!

PrimeraVez Wed 12-Apr-17 06:09:29

I wore (actually, still wear blush ) lots of tapered black/navy trousers with loose fitting blouses/shirts and block heeled courts/pointy toe flats. I was a 10 pre-DC and am now a much wobblier 12/14 so none of my old work wardrobe fits. If I'm having a good day and can be arsed to shave my legs, I wear a wrap dress with a pair of Spanx underneath.

I didn't want to spend a fortune on new stuff that I hopefully won't be wearing forever so stocked up in places like Zara, H&M etc. I've spent a bit more on a few slightly nicer pairs of shoes - I bought some leopard print block heel courts from Dune and they look great with black tapered trousers (H&M?) and an oversized white shirt (Gap).

SwimmingMom Wed 12-Apr-17 12:08:45

I mostly wear tunics with tights & heels/boots. Skims over the body so hides bumps & makes you feel tall & stylish.

JeNeRegretteRien Wed 12-Apr-17 15:49:14

I'm in the same boat, OP. As well as having changed shape, I feel as if after all this time in maternity clothes and then on mat leave, I don't really know what workwear should look like! My legs are still OK, so I've got a couple of skirts and I second the idea of getting some nice new shoes. I'm now looking for slightly looser/floatier tops to go with them. I don't want to buy too much as I'm hoping the situation will improve!

DueJune16 Wed 12-Apr-17 19:36:16

Yes I think tapered trousers with a block heel and some some non clingy tops would look nice.
Why is it you can never find what you want when you actually need/want to buy?!!

DueJune16 Wed 12-Apr-17 20:07:13

Just ordered these....

Does anybody have any suggestions for well fitting tapered trousers?

IlonaRN Wed 12-Apr-17 22:22:13

Try the Richmond trousers from Boden?
I have the boot cut ones, and they are very well cut and flattering around the waist.

PrimeraVez Thu 13-Apr-17 07:06:24

Haha DueJune2016 are they from Dune?!? They were the exact ones I was talking about and I'm actually wearing them now!!

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Thu 13-Apr-17 08:30:04

I found it very difficult to find trousers that fit well or didn't irritate me after I had my first (God know how it'll be after this mat leave) but found Phase Eight worked well. They are tapered trousers- I didn't realise they were the go to style! I also got some shirts from Gap.
Hope this helps!

DueJune16 Thu 13-Apr-17 21:11:38

Yes they are PrimeraVez, they were in the sale, fingers crossed they fit!

MaryCrawley Thu 13-Apr-17 21:15:48

I was basically going to write Nutella's reply.

Good black skinny trousers (Gap, mostly), a silky blouse/ long length top (eBay for Farhi, or high street sale), a good necklace (ASOS) and Clarks black heels.

I also have a stupidly beautiful Mulberry handbag that I received as a gift that I use to hide my wobbly tummy.

Slick of lippy, good bra and I'm away!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now