Talk

Advanced search

Should I get another tattoo?

(7 Posts)
AllIsSonny Tue 11-Apr-17 17:18:24

I'm 29, about to turn 30.
I currently have 5 tattoos.
I have a finger tattoo, a wrist tattoo, one foot tattoo, one back tattoo and one on my hip.
The hip one is a heart made out of leaves and flowers. The finger one is Saturn, for a miscarriage I had, where we called the baby Saturn throughout his short life. The wrist one is a bumblebee, for my grandmother who was known as Bee. The foot tattoo are some wildflowers from the place I first met my husband. The back tattoo is two lines across my back, with my son's date of birth in Roman numerals.

Would you think it was tacky if I got a tattoo behind my ear of the letters J and M linked in cursive script for my twins?

MaidenMotherCrone Tue 11-Apr-17 18:18:27

It's your body so get whatever you want.

Other people's opinions matter not one jot.

Personally I think random tattoos dotted over the body is tacky, dates, names, in remembrance etc. I don't get it, your not likely to forget these things. But this is my opinion and My opinion counts for nothing in your life.

I love tattoos and have them but for me it's about the artwork. I have one that people can see ( the big pieces are never on show) and every time I get asked ' oo what does it mean or what's is it '. I just reply 'Nothing' and leave it at that.

Get whatever you like and don't worry about other people's opinions on something that has nothing to do with them.

GiantHulkHands Tue 11-Apr-17 21:31:35

Well said MMC

MrsLettuce Tue 11-Apr-17 22:03:29

I was writing a response in my head as I read the OP but MadienMotherCrone prety much said it all, almost for word.

It's all about the art for me too, I've about 30 tattoos but none that are visible. No text at all just pictures. I don't think that's the only valid / best way too be tattooed, it's just what floats my boat.

I really like that it's possible to use tattooing in so many different ways and for either public or private self expression (or both). So, yes, do get whatever you like and don't worry about what other people may or may not think.

MrsLettuce Tue 11-Apr-17 22:16:12

Oh. Actually, after rereading the OP, I wonder what the children themselves might think later. Their opinions do maybe matter.

A larger (hidden?) tattoo for one child and a 'single' teeny tattoo for twins. I wonder if either the twins or your DS might feel that the other(s) had been favoured. There's no real balance to the sizes and placements IYSWIM. Also the twins as a unit might not be appreciated later. Maybe. Not sure but possibly worth considering.

How about 2 similarly designed tattoos to what you have for your DS, in the same general area? Time as well as date in Roman numerals to differentiate?

NeedABumChange Tue 11-Apr-17 22:19:11

I too agree with MMC.

Not my style, personally I have no tattoos but love them on other people when they are pieces of beautiful artwork but find them chavvy when they are lots of little 'meaningful' ones dotted around.

MrsLettuce Tue 11-Apr-17 22:29:49

hmmcrikey bumchange, did you mean to be so rude?

Carefully placed, meaningful tattoos are a perfectly valid form of self expression, it's one that a lot of people choose and it has its own beauty. It has a rightful place in European tattoo history too. In fact it aruguably has a more direct line back to the roots than an awful lot of other forms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now