Talk

Advanced search

Good blusher for 50 yr old

(35 Posts)
whataboutbob Tue 11-Apr-17 12:45:45

I still have the MAC blusher I bought at 35, but it doesn't seem to "work" anymore (doesn't transmit onto the brush). I'm looking for a new one, but what works well for older skins? Should I avoid blusher with those sparkly particles? I'm willing to pay up to Chanel prices. All recommendations gratefully received!
PS my skin's not bad i think, I've been using daily sun protection for at least 2 decades.

ilovecherries Tue 11-Apr-17 17:15:11

Is this the same blusher you've had for 15+ years, or is it that you just keep re-buying the same brand? If the former, it's probably sealed with a layer of oil, which is why it won't pick up any more. I'm over 50, and I quite like a cream to powder formulation - Look Fabulous Forever does a nice one, and it's matte so doesn't add sparkle. I also have a Lancôme cushion foundation that I wouldn't have bought myself, because it's a stupid price for a blusher, but again, it goes on beautifully as a liquid. My best buy though is a Rosie by Autograph blusher (again cream) from M&S.

ilovecherries Tue 11-Apr-17 17:16:10

Cushion blusher, I meant. I also have their cushion foundation, but that's not what I was talking about.

ggirl Tue 11-Apr-17 17:23:10

give it a scrape with a nail file and it will come back to life

whataboutbob Wed 12-Apr-17 12:57:54

Thanks for your responses. Yes it is the original one.
Confession time: I went out to the little independent dept store local to me and bought a Sisley blusher for the bonkers price of £54. It is very nice, non sparkly and natural, but I have now vowed to stay away from beauty counters for the next 5 years. However I may just check out the autograph blusher. And get my nail file onto my old one, in the spirit of experimentation!

ilovecherries Wed 12-Apr-17 14:24:59

Are you wearing any other makeup? I've got good skin, but I'm pale and I couldn't believe the difference a light dewy foundation made under the blusher ;)

whataboutbob Wed 12-Apr-17 14:35:48

Oh thanks cherries. Usually I just rub sun protection on and get off to work. Do have some foundation but i don't think it s that much for me. Can i ask what brand you use?

Mollii Wed 12-Apr-17 14:39:31

Im in my 50s and love Boujois blushers with a bit of gold glimmer in them. Once on it just looks lovely and glowy

Mollii Wed 12-Apr-17 14:44:33

Bourjois that shoud have read

whataboutbob Thu 13-Apr-17 11:02:29

Thanks for your post mollii, Bourjois is reasonably priced so i will check their blushers out.

Deathraystare Thu 13-Apr-17 11:13:19

Bobbie Brown does some lovely cream blushers (not tried the powder ones)

neveradullmoment99 Thu 13-Apr-17 12:01:11

Actually really like both superdrug MAU which has fabulous pigment and as cheap as chips. Think last time i purchased loads of the colours and they were £1 each. I also have a sleek blusher [ cheap too] See links below.
mua

sleek

neveradullmoment99 Thu 13-Apr-17 12:02:15

Oh and i use both and am 49. The sleek one is a dupe for Nars orgasm. Its called rose gold. It does have a bit of glittery gold through it but I like it.

ilovecherries Thu 13-Apr-17 13:05:47

Bob, if I were you I'd start with a CC cream and see how you get on, rather than a full on foundation. It smoothes everything out - both colour and texture. I like the Clinique in the pink tube, and I also have the Chanel one.

Nancy222 Thu 13-Apr-17 13:08:31

Clinique Chubby Stick Cheek in Apple.

Rudymentary Thu 13-Apr-17 13:19:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SprinkleOfInsanity Thu 13-Apr-17 13:32:32

Another vote for Daniel Sandler watercolour blush. I'm totally converted now from powder blush, and the DS stuff is lovely, can be very subtle or buildable in colour, it has made my skin look younger as it just looks so natural and non-powdery. Definitely worth a look, and at £15 the bottle will last you a year +

chorizopie Thu 13-Apr-17 14:12:04

I love Daniel Sandler watercolour as well, I have it in Gentle which is a lovely every day colour. Lasts ages - I've had the same bottle for 3 years and it's still about 1/3rd full, I use it 5 days a week and never need to reapply.

shereebobbins Thu 13-Apr-17 16:24:40

Daniel Sandler watercolour is my holy grail blusher. I have four colours and I'm 50+. Not that I let my age define my makeup choices

whataboutbob Thu 13-Apr-17 20:00:40

Thanks so much lovely posters for all the recommnedations.
Ws in M & S and i checked out the By Rosie for Autograph makeup (counter was absolutely deserted by staff which was great) and i was very impressed with the English Rose blusher, blends in incredibly well, good colour. Frankly every bit as good as my expensive Sisley one.
Daniel Sandler is a popular guy! Must check him out.
Sheree I know what you mean by not letting age define your look, but at the same time I feel I can less afford mistakes than before. A 20 something colleague has 2 orange stripes down her cheekbones, somehow on her it's kind of charming, on me it would look weird.

EleanorRigbysNeice Thu 13-Apr-17 20:10:08

Op, I agree. A youthful face can ge away with so much!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 15-Apr-17 16:56:50

<<Following this thread>>

I'm 50 and much to my DDs disgust , I wear zero/minimal make-up (my WorkDay make-up is cleanse and moisturise)

I have seen the Daniel Sandler years ago on QVC (with a brush) but off course hmm not now.

Though Superdrug Gosh have 'lumidrops' in coral or pink tone so, I'm going to investigate ....... (£9ish)

I've got to the stage where I feel a bit 'done' in make-up , I'm not used to wearing it so I worry about it smudging/being obvious/being on my teeth etc.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 15-Apr-17 16:58:15

I did buy the Sleek RoseGold - is reallly is glittery .
OK for a nightclub but not for me for daytime sadly.

whataboutbob Sat 15-Apr-17 18:14:43

I know what you mean 70. I have got to the stage where it needed a re think because after applying I look "done" as well, somehow not natural and convincing. I think less is more and it's about finding products that really blend in well and give colour/ evenness without looking artificial.

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Apr-17 18:19:54

Mid forties here. I wear George at Asda cream blusher in Marshmallow every day of my life. I can afford Chanel, but this is the one for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now