Talk

Advanced search

Interview - what to wear!?

(12 Posts)
flumpybear Tue 11-Apr-17 12:17:51

Hi - I need help!
It's likely I may have an interview in May. It's in a university and I already work there, it's not suits etc particularly at work. I usually wear smart clothes with black trousers, smart top and often a cardigan

I HATE suits. I'm a size 18 and have big boobs, I never feel comfy and always end up hot and bothered. I DESPARSTELY want this job and have been told by the head of the department to definitely apply and he was pleased to hear I was going for it - really positive comments and had a good long chat with him and we both ended up agreeing I was ready for this role. It's quite senior so it won't be a walk in the park to get it though.

Anyway I'm wittering now - what the hell do I wear!?
I'd prefer trousers and a top perhaps with a smart cardigan but not a suit or blazer. Also I always get over heated and sweaty (ug!) when I'm interviewed as I'm always really exceptionally nervous so want to be comfortable but smart
Please help me!!
confusedsmile

BiddyPop Tue 11-Apr-17 12:31:26

Could you wear a smart dress with a jacket, and then use it later with a cardigan to "dress it down" a little?

Or perhaps a black trousers with a black top and a jacket which has a colour to it (I have a lovely pine green one with no buttons from M&S last season - I'm sure there would be some in colours to suit your colouring available). Those more open jackets can be better as they tend to fall better than ones with buttons/zips for larger endowed ladies (I'm at the lower end of the category so lots of dresses and tops don't work on me and have a friend who is even more well endowed).

MaryLennoxsScowl Tue 11-Apr-17 15:21:42

If you like trousers then definitely wear trousers, what style do you like? If you pair them with a blouse or shirt (what about a crisp modern shirt with tie front or fancy sleeves?) it would look smart and be quite cool if you get hot and bothered. I wouldn't wear a cardigan to an interview anyway. Or a silky top? Zara has the sort of thing I mean.

MaryLennoxsScowl Tue 11-Apr-17 15:44:48

m.zara.com/uk/en/woman/tops/view-all/blouse-with-pompom-detail-c719021p4543044.html Like this without the Pom Pom necklace thing - crisp but cool.
m.zara.com/uk/en/woman/tops/view-all/shirt-with-pearl-button-detail-c719021p4434025.html
m.zara.com/uk/en/woman/tops/view-all/blouse-with-lace-details-c719021p4331551.html

m.zara.com/uk/en/woman/tops/view-all/poplin-top-with-bow-c719021p4341509.html

Scribblegirl Tue 11-Apr-17 15:48:17

My go to is a smart dress with a soft, single-breasted open blazer - I know you say no suits OP but I find that if I don't have a jacket of some kind I feel like I need a shirt for 'structure' - and trust me, you do not want to see my FFs in a button down shirt, the gapage! blush

MaryLennoxsScowl Tue 11-Apr-17 15:51:01

m.zara.com/uk/en/woman/tops/view-all/pearly-shirt-c719021p4326530.html Wear with slim fitting black trousers, pointy shoes (flat or not), red lipstick and a ponytail.

Greenvalleymama Tue 11-Apr-17 16:02:58

I would wear dark trousers, a plain cream or white top and a boucle jacket with a statement necklace underneath. Something like this..

Best of luck!

Mamia15 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:16:22

I don't wear suits either but do have a boucle jacket with no buttons and wear it often over a top and trousers or a dress for interviews and meetings. I think shirts are a big no no with big boobs.

MaryLennoxsScowl Tue 11-Apr-17 17:13:29

Really? My sister has big boobs and looks great in a shirt, so long as it isn't done up too high or too low. I think it depends on the shirt and your overall shape.

flumpybear Tue 11-Apr-17 17:57:22

Greenvalley - that's exactly what cardigan I like!!!!!!
I had no idea it had a name!!!! I'm going online shopping to find out where to get one

Dresses are out as I feel so uncomfy - I'd love to feel comfortable but I just can't !!

Forgot to say imid 40's and five feet eight inches but wear heels so usually over six feet

flumpybear Tue 11-Apr-17 18:28:10

Forgot to say thank you - more ideas would be helpful .... particularly similar to green valley biscuitbiscuit

flumpybear Tue 11-Apr-17 20:31:48

Also what are those tips called where it's a top with shirt collars and cuffs only, the rest is jumper type material ..... but very smart still!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now