Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you style your bob?

(38 Posts)
fleur34 Tue 11-Apr-17 09:50:07

Just had my super straight reasonably fine hair cut into a bob, looked amazing after the hairdresser blow dried it, it looks bloody awful when i try and style it! Any tips on how to make it look better?! Styling products recommendations?? HELP!

MrsMarigold Tue 11-Apr-17 10:07:54

I blow dry in layers if I want it to look good, but actually it shouldn't require much mainly I just leave mine and it falls into place but I have to say the level of maintenance required depends on the cut now I have someone good, it needs nothing.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 11-Apr-17 10:26:50

I tried years ago to have a bob but I'm useless at blow drying and the back of my hair has a natural kink so my bob never looked decent, so I ended up with a shorter non bob style. My hair is fine but I have a lot of it, straight and apart from mentioned kink, has no natural wave.
A couple of years ago I had another go and grew it into a below chin inverse bob and now I get so many compliments on it!

Most important thing is decent cut but it sounds like you've got one.
I use Indola colour mousse (from Sally Beauty) but try any decent volume mousse.
I dry the side swept fringe first, because if it dries on its own I can never get it right later.
Then I rough dry with mid heat and fingers lifting the roots.
But secret weapon is TRESemme 2776KU Keratin Smooth, Smooth Volume Hot Air Styler.
I section away top layers and use this to shape underlayers and finish drying. Gradually introduce more top layers. It is so easy, much easier than brush and dryer. Don't use hottest setting as it's vicious.
Never takes more than ten minutes

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 11-Apr-17 10:38:57

As Mrs marigold says, a good cut means less work. I can also just comb mine into shape and leave it but it tends to be a bit flat and lacks the vital swoosh and bounce.

BroomstickOfLove Tue 11-Apr-17 10:49:36

I always get my hairdryer to cut based on my natural hair texture, so I let my hair air dry before getting a cut, and am really explicit that I need a cut that will work if I get rained on. My hair is pretty much the opposite of yours (thick, wavy, unruly) so my styling tips would probably be pretty useless. I did nearly get a Babyliss Big Hair after having it blow-dried straight once, because it did look good, but people kept on doing double-takes to see me with sleek hair, so I went back to looking like myself and drying it wavy.

fleur34 Tue 11-Apr-17 12:41:00

Thank you - will definitely be trying some of these!

retainertrainer Tue 11-Apr-17 13:59:15

Have you got straightners? They're essential for getting that smooth,polished finish. My bob's a poofy,boofy mess without.

Mamia15 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:25:20

My bob is a wavy messy style - love it, so easy to maintain esp since my hair is very fine. I sometimes add more waves using tongs or a straightener.

Ocies Tue 11-Apr-17 16:35:19

I've got one of these

I either let my hair dry naturally or just rough dry with the hair dryer then use this to smooth and shape. My hair is quite fine too and this is the best thing I have found.

fleur34 Tue 11-Apr-17 19:04:32

Thanks - I do have straighteners so gonna give them a go tomorrow, will report back!!

I wish I could work the messy bob style but it doesn't really work on my hair!!! Not sure I thought this through.....

fleur34 Wed 12-Apr-17 07:32:20

Woop thanks for your tips - hair this morning is looking almost as good as when the hairdresser did it! Straighteners and blow drying in sections are definitely the way forward for me. Thank you so much for your advice!

Noeuf Wed 12-Apr-17 07:51:52

Ha ! Just read this as I have an appointment at 9 to be bobbed! Now am scared I will have a horrid Mummy bob that doesn't work!

Will reread and copy all your tips!

shirleycartersaidso Wed 12-Apr-17 08:09:58

I have fine hair and a bob. I can either use a load of salt spray and dry naturally which leaves a messy 'beach' look that I can get away with or blow dry in sections with a round brush to smooth it down for sleek swishy bob. The blow drying takes a while though.

I have a fab hairdresser now and it is so much easier with a really good cut. Mine is also all one lengthnow which makes the back a lot easier to blow dry for me - no more layers.

TwoBeams Wed 12-Apr-17 08:14:41

Babyliss big hair is great! I bought mine when my hair was longer, but it works just as well now it's shorter and in a bob. Fuzzy bits then finished off with straighteners.
Gives the sectioned blow dry look without using a round brush and drier at the same time!

fleur34 Wed 12-Apr-17 08:23:35

oh sorry noeuf!!! I do really like my new hair, but it just takes getting used to!! As others have said I think a good cut is the main thing (and i'm pretty sure i got one) then the styling doesnt seem so hard once you get your head round it. I've had bobs before and this one is certainly the easiest to handle so far..... good luck! x

autumnne Wed 12-Apr-17 08:28:33

How long does a BBH take to dry a long bob properly? It looks like it'd take ages?

Handbaghag Wed 12-Apr-17 08:36:40

I have had a bob on and off over the years and never managed to get the body the hairdresser does. Nodding head vigorously in agreement with pp's..I bought a hot brush styler for £7 off ebay and am amazed at the results. Will replace again when it dies. Would defo recommend buying one!

JamesDelaneysHat Wed 12-Apr-17 08:38:13

Autumne I always roughly dry with a normal hairdryer first abs finish off with the BBH otherwise it would take ages.

OP, I Just came to agree with other posts about using BBH. It has made a huge difference to me having a bob which always looks good. I'm always scared of having the 'mumsy' bob look and it always looked crap when I dried it myself before i had the BBH. Mine is an inverse bob and I can't ever get the beachy waves on my fine hair, it just goes limp and frizzy and rubbish. The BBH followed by straighteners has made a huge difference.

Handbaghag Wed 12-Apr-17 08:39:58

Mine wasn't a BBH, it was a Cosmopolitan one. It's big and pink and looks like a sex toy! grin

fleur34 Wed 12-Apr-17 08:58:30

argh what does a mumsy bob look like? scared i have one now!!! I've not got one of those brushes but may well invest....

pmsl at pink brush aka sex toy!! what would my cleaner think!! (first world problems)

JamesDelaneysHat Wed 12-Apr-17 09:12:00

A mummy bob is one which sort of triangularises itself - so it sits on your head a bit like a helmet and looks thicker at the ends!

fleur34 Wed 12-Apr-17 09:23:12

oh yes i know what you mean. I think i was rocking that look yesterday -arghhhhh! definiitely improved today

Noeuf Wed 12-Apr-17 12:54:08

Yes like that. Sort of flat with no movement and maybe a wispy fringe...like my cartoon?

Mine is done but it's definitely got frump potential, I need to get some salt spray on it and mess it up a bit. Plus the parting is a bit too neat.....

TwoBeams Wed 12-Apr-17 13:13:01

Mine is a long inverted bob and it doesn't take very long to dry with BBH, once it's been blasted with the dryer. When I use it I can get an extra day without washing my hair because it's finished so well.

Friday999 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:52:58

I agree with the posters who suggest a hot air styler-type appliance is the key to success (plus straighteners) unless you're proficient with blowing drying with a round brush. And I've NEVER got the hang of that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now