Talk

Advanced search

Summer clothes help please

(14 Posts)
PoppinsMoppins Mon 10-Apr-17 23:04:50

I'm short and a bit chunky. I also lack confidence and have the worst arms and legs.

I am getting so anxious about summer (happens every year) I need clothes that are not too old (I'm 36) but that aren't clingy.

I just can't see a way out of jumpers and jeans. I really hate my body and just want to hide away in summer. The thought of getting my arms/legs out makes me want to cry!

What kind of styles can I buy that will be summery but not revealing.

PoppinsMoppins Tue 11-Apr-17 13:56:56

Anyone?

bingohandjob Tue 11-Apr-17 15:19:11

What kinds of styles and colours do you like? Are there any looks you'd like to try? Is there anything you'd categorically not wear? Do you have a friend you can trust to be honest and kind and spend an afternoon trying things on?

PoppinsMoppins Tue 11-Apr-17 15:23:44

Thanks for replying!! I would not wear anything sleeveless and would not show my legs at all.

I like quite simple classic styles and neutral colours mainly, which I can accessorise with necklaces/bags.

I have a few people I trust but can't face going shopping with anyone as I find it a really traumatic experience. I would prefer to order a load of stuff and send back what I don't want. That way I can try on on my own and it doesn't matter if I get upset

CarrieWatermelon Tue 11-Apr-17 15:26:08

Slim fitting jeans or 3/4 trousers in lighter colours with a long, jersey style top/t shirt or longline shirt over the top?

I think about 50% of the UK population dread summer clothes and exposing their bits, so don't be too hard on yourself! flowers

JedBartlet Tue 11-Apr-17 15:36:20

Maxi dresses/skirts with a light jacket over?

Cropped chinos with cami and a thin cardy?

PoppinsMoppins Tue 11-Apr-17 15:43:46

Thanks. Any good tips on where to buy flattering chinos?

ZaZathecat Tue 11-Apr-17 16:29:53

Next are good if you're appley in shape (like me).

mylongawaitedlife Tue 11-Apr-17 20:41:23

Hi Poppins I'm a bit chunky too. Just went into a branch of Yumi and found some fab flattering dresses - the 'tea dress' or fit and flare kind, like this:

www.yumi.co.uk/sale-and-offers/dresses/embroidered-hem-belted-skater-dress-YM388.html?dwvar_YM388_color=Orange

I went to an outlet (MacArthur Glen), where they were a bit cheaper, depends where you are. Lots of styles to choose from, if you like their stuff.

mylongawaitedlife Tue 11-Apr-17 20:42:08

This one is nice too:

www.yumi.co.uk/dresses/yumi-check-belted-summer-dress-YM447.html?dwvar_YM447_color=Black

SpaghettiMeatballs Tue 11-Apr-17 20:44:12

Joules do some fantastic chinos.

Fozzleyplum Tue 11-Apr-17 23:52:03

I'd have a look at long or 3/4 sleeve tops in very fine fabrics eg a silk/cotton mix. Massimo Dutti usually do some which go well with loose fitting linen trousers. Brora also do very good quality tops and trousers in fine-textured natural fibres. They tend to be classic rather than trendy, and the clothes I've had from the have lasted well. They are expensive, though, but I tend to go to the clearance section of the website or Ebay.

bingohandjob Wed 12-Apr-17 12:06:33

There are lots of sales on at the moment - if you can afford the initial outlay, maybe grab a few pieces from eg ASOS - free returns on what you don't like, good app to filter sale stuff by size, style, colour etc and try on at home.

millefeuille1 Wed 12-Apr-17 18:25:03

I am a similar shape to you - short and pear shaped? My arms have seen better days! I second Yumi and Joules for dresses - I have just bought this www.houseoffraser.co.uk/women/joules-stretch-pleast-dress/d763849.pd#260915607 and it is just the right fit and shape. I also have these www.tesco.com/direct/ff-ankle-grazer-mid-rise-skinny-jeans/286-2505.prd for casual wear which are much more forgiving than they look!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now