Talk

Advanced search

Help! Shellac Gel Nails have peeled off...

(14 Posts)
DeanaPiana Mon 10-Apr-17 22:54:27

Why is this? I was expecting maybe some chipping but these gel nails have been on 3 days and are already peeling off. I haven't picked at them etc, wouldn't dream of it.

I had my toes done about a year back with shellac but assumed it was just the way the rather rubbish beautician prepped them that they ended up peeling. My Mum got the same treatment and called them 'Shittac'

I let my nails rest for 6 weeks (usual serial acrylic user), and honestly, I'm very close to going back to acrylic. I was so happy with my shellac gel nails but now I'm gutted.

Should I try normal gel nails next? I would say it was the lady who prepped them but she spent ages prepping them etc before applying the gel and seemed to be trying good care and attention.

I just don't know what to do. I hate long/colourful nails. I've always had clear and subtle acrylic with minimal length but thought I'd risk a bit of colour if it meant healthier mails.

Argh!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 10-Apr-17 23:01:18

Either fake shellac, incorrect prep or the wrong lamp used.

Shellac can go over 3 weeks on strong nails. Don't peel them off, you'll take a layer of nail which will damage the nail and make it unsuitable for shellac.

DeanaPiana Mon 10-Apr-17 23:04:16

I didn't peel them but the two that were coming off were literally hanging by a thread so I took those two away and they were 99% detached anyway

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 10-Apr-17 23:11:33

I'd go back, ask for a complimentary soak off then book into a salon that uses IBX. It will repair any damage, then you can have proper shellac hopefully. CND authorised distributors SweetSquared have a salon finder on their website for techs trained by them. Also a list of their educators, if there's one near to you with a salon.

No nail coating properly applied, maintained & removed causes damage long term. Acrylics, silk wraps, hard gel, soft gel, shellac should all come off with no residual damage.

namechange20050 Mon 10-Apr-17 23:14:58

I had the same problem op. Had a cnd shellac manicure applied by someone with all the training and it peeled off. The manicurist didn't want to know and kept saying I'd done something to cause it. Which I hadn't! So frustrating isn't it.

Rastel38 Mon 10-Apr-17 23:43:41

Check your salon, mine does free repairs/touch ups within a week of application.

Bleurghghghgh Mon 10-Apr-17 23:49:41

It'll no doubt be bad prep. I do gels (OPI gelcolor now but have used shellac) and multiple nails peeling is usually due to not fully dehydrating an oily nail plate.
I'm awful on my nails and mine last a lot less time than most of than my clients but I tend to get tip wear rather than peeling after 1.5 weeks minimum.

Agree with PP, go back and ask for a complimentary soak off and then go somewhere else, and tell the somewhere else what happened previously in case it is due to your nails (unlikely) then they can prep accordingly. I can't use a strengthening base on anyone with oily nails as it seems to lift faster, for example.

How much were they, out of interest?

dailystuck71 Tue 11-Apr-17 08:11:52

Shellac does exactly this with me. I've been to 4 different salons for application. All reputable. Shellac just doesn't stick! I now have Jessica gels now. No issues at all in 3 years if applying.

MonkeyGoneToHeaven Tue 11-Apr-17 09:45:00

My shellac started peeling off two of my nails within four days of application so I stuck it down with nail glue - it's set solid as a rock so I'm hoping to get two weeks out of it. The salon will disapprove when I get them taken off but hey-ho, my nails.

MiniCooperLover Tue 11-Apr-17 11:10:44

Shellac just doesn't last on my fingers annoyingly, I've been to various salons, all of which friends have had good experiences at. They've all said my nail bed is just too naturally oily and it just happens sometimes.

Aquamarine70 Tue 11-Apr-17 14:03:09

I've had Shellac done twice by 2 experienced nail techs & they both peeled twice within 2-3 days. I am a beauty therapist so wore gloves washing up & looked after them. I use Orly gel FX gel polish & get 2 weeks on my nails & 3 weeks on my toes.
Normal gel nails seem to lift on me after a few days & acrylic starts lifting after a week. Some people get up to 3 weeks with Shellac I think it just depends on your nails.

DeanaPiana Wed 12-Apr-17 08:16:32

Hi all, sorry for the late response!

They cost me £25. Quite cheap for Shellac, apparently. I can't go back to the salon lady that done them because I live in London and she's in Bedfordshire.

Just as a note, she told me my nail beds were very DRY, the opposite to oily. She even got me to purchase this shellac oil thing to apply on top of my nail beds. I bought it.

I just want naturally pretty nails. I love the look of my very natural looking acrylics)(I never have them painted), but they're just no good for my nails sad

bonzo77 Wed 12-Apr-17 08:33:17

Very odd. When I've had mine done they've lasted up to 6 weeks (with horrible gaps at the bottoms obviously as they'd grown). And I make no effort to protect them, do usual things like washing up and horses, and stupid things like clipping my nails.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 12-Apr-17 08:42:21

Ok, yes £25 is standard outside of London.

Solar oil? Apply that twice daily on the nail & the skin around it. Your nails will stop breaking as much & you won't get any hang nails either. I was sceptical but everyone I try it on loves it.

Don't buff them at home just oil and file into a neat shape while any acrylic damage grows out. Which takes a few months. Nails are like hair, as long as the nail root isn't damaged the nail will regrow normally.

Do try and find a salon offering IBX, it's brilliant at repairing & strengthening nails. It can't be washed off after application & it's invisible on the nail. famousnamesproducts.com/before-after/

Shellac is for healthy strong nails, you can use a topcoat on it called duraforce to make it longer wearing on thin weak nails but it's best to ask if the salon uses it because the longer soak off time puts some off.

There's no harm in a gel polish if shellac doesn't suit you as long as it's properly applied and removed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now