Epilator - thoughts?

(63 Posts)
TootsyBella84 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:54:30

I'm sick of wet shaving my legs with a razor. Recently I've been getting itchy legs and a shaving rash no matter how much I moisturise or whatever!
Anyway, I'm thinking of getting an Epilator.
1. Is it really, really sore?!
2. Can you recommend a low budget one that does the job?

Thank you in advance!

mummabubs Mon 10-Apr-17 10:13:02

I love my epilator! And although I was terrified that it was going to be hideously painful it really isn't so bad- I think the fear before you've tried it the first time is way worse than it actually is! The only heads up I'd give is that sometimes my legs are a bit red afterwards if I've been particularly zealous with it so if you're using one for an event best to epilate the day before! Mine is from boots, cost me £49 but well worth it to me- it also came with a shaver attachment so does both functions and can be used in the bath (which also helps if you're worried about discomfort) 😊

floraeasy Mon 10-Apr-17 10:16:30

I've used an epilator all my life.

My hair is now so fine it really doesn't hurt at all.

IMO it hurts progressively less as the hair gets weaker from being pulled out.

The first couple of times, you might want to pop a couple of strong painkillers or have a couple of glasses of wine.

Dust some baby powder on your legs as it will help grip.

I have a low pain threshold, but vanity helped me through the epilation grin

I even do my underarms now and it's fine!

Rockaby Mon 10-Apr-17 10:22:57

Weird! I just came on here to ask about epilators! Get out of my brain OP wink.

I like the look of the wet and dry ones but the brain silk epil seems really pricy. Might have a look at the boots one suggested by mumma.

WhereShallWeGo Mon 10-Apr-17 10:24:29

I love mine. Not as good (perfectly hairless & smooth) as after waxing in salon but much more flexible. It stops hurting after a couple of times, so virtually no pain, especially in legs. I now do my and my daughters' underarm (this hurts a bit). This is because I'm terrified of using razor.

Will find out what mine is called...

WhereShallWeGo Mon 10-Apr-17 10:29:39

It's Braun Silk Epil - I think mine was under £50 about 5 years ago. I think I will be happy to pay more if/when this one packs up.

mummabubs Mon 10-Apr-17 10:32:03

Just found the exact kit I got:

http://www.boots.com/electrical/female-hair-removal-tools/epilators/philips-satinsoft-hp6522-01-wet-and-dry-epilator-with-skincare-system-shaving-attachment-and-exfoliation-brush-10136941

Although I bought it 4 years ago and definitely only paid £50 for it so I'm guessing I got it on a half price deal, inflation isn't that bad! 😂 As I said I'd definitely recommend it.

ChocolateRaisin Mon 10-Apr-17 10:33:11

I have an epilator and do my legs and bikini line. It doesn't hurt after the first two times, I would describe it more as a sensation but definitely not painful.

I would say I have to epilate every 4-6 weeks, depending on how lazy I'm feeling. I would never bother to wax or shave again. I have a Braun Silk epilator, a cheaper one which has to be plugged in to be used, which is fine, I don't care.

ItchyFoot Mon 10-Apr-17 10:33:45

I love my braun one. I can't wet shave as it gives me terrible ingrown hairs. I use the epillator the day before I need to get my legs out as sometimes it leaves me looking like a plucked chicken. Then if there are any strays left I use the shaver attachment.
It hurts a little at first but gets less painful over time. Also hurts less in the bath.

bluebellation Mon 10-Apr-17 10:34:16

Another Braun Silk Epil fan here; mine is about 8 years old I think, and still going strong. I always used to have stubble under my arms after shaving, but epilating leaves them beautifully smooth, and the hair that grows back is really fine so not as noticeable.

oldwife Mon 10-Apr-17 10:35:49

I have one which i use on my legs. It smarts at first- but after the first few strokes the skin kind of goes numb. grin

I find it doesn't leave my legs smooth - there are always a few hairs left behind, and they feel a little stubbly but they look better than being full on hairy, and I don't have to do it daily.

Top Tip: Underarms and bikini line will make you cry. Don't even go there.

TootsyBella84 Mon 10-Apr-17 10:46:52

Yay glad to hear many positives!
Does anyone have this one? www.boots.com/electrical/female-hair-removal-tools/epilators/braun-silk-epil-3-3270-epilator-2-attachments-10156756

It's only for dry use though, do you think no wet use is a deal breaker?

Haha great minds and all that Rockaby wink

tatatetelle Mon 10-Apr-17 10:59:34

I've used an epilator all my life and love it, as per previous comment, it gets less and less sore as you use it (the first few times might hurt if you've been shaving) but the results are so great and last SO much longer than shaving.

I have the latest Braun silk epil and it's fantastic, they keep for years, this is my second one, and I kept the first one for 7 years - well worth the money you pay for it. Also I never use it in the shower even though I could..it just seems less practical!

CoolCarrie Mon 10-Apr-17 12:13:00

You don't get that 5 0'clock shadow on your underarms and the hair definitely gets finer over time. Get a wet/ dry one, I found it hurts less in the shower as the warm water opens the pores and read the instructions properly before using . An antihistamine before hand should help with the redness. I bought the Braun one It really is a game charger & worth every penny!

CoolCarrie Mon 10-Apr-17 12:19:12

The one I bought was half price in Boots, cordless, wet/dry, has a light, and the more tweezers bits the better. Plus I got loads of points with Boots card

growcookeat Mon 10-Apr-17 13:05:41

I agree with all of the above. I upgraded to a more expensive braun one last year and it's definitely worth it. It's wet and dry and has face attachment yes I have a hairy chin! as well as shaver attachment. The more tweezers the less it hurts IME. They are often on half price at Boots so keep your eyes open for a deal.

growcookeat Mon 10-Apr-17 13:07:41

I must have the model before this as I didn't pay £100 but it looks just like this!

http://www.boots.com/braun-silk-epil-9-9561-wet-and-dry-cordless-epilator-6-attachments-10189728

ImSexyAndIKnowIt Mon 10-Apr-17 16:45:57

I have a cheap one and a Silk-Epil 7 and the Silk-Epil is loads better. It's worth paying more for a better one I think. It hurts less and gets more hair out so you need to go over the same areas less and it's much quicker too.
Mine is wet and dry but I never use it wet anymore, I think a light dusting of talc beforehand does the job better.
Underarms are fine too, I'll never shave mine again. Doesn't hurt at all.

Highmaintenancefemalestuff Mon 10-Apr-17 16:55:57

I have a silk epil, not sure which one, was expensive though. I loved it at at first but I must be going wrong somewhere as it wouldnt get rid of all the hairs and I ended up with so many ingrown.
This thread has made me want to give it another go. I'm going to pop it on charge now!

CantChoose Mon 10-Apr-17 19:59:14

I found it excruciatingly painful to begin with. I had to do my legs over the course of about a week doing a bit each day!! But agree with others in that it only takes one or two goes then it doesn't hurt. It actually feels oddly pleasant on my legs now. I still find underarms sore but bearable. I've never been brave enough to try bikini! I have the Braun silk epil and using it wet was def less painful to begin with, now I don't bother with it.

tatatetelle Tue 11-Apr-17 11:56:14

Highmaintenance you need to hydrate and exfoliate your legs if you don't, that's what helps with ingrown hair!

Also with the Silk Epil, the only thing I would say is don't let the hair get too long (especially in the winter...you know what I mean!!) otherwise it gets stuck and is a nightmare to remove.

Highmaintenancefemalestuff Tue 11-Apr-17 14:19:49

I usedon't the brush attachment, I thought that was for exfoliating?
I used it last night for the first time in over a year. Much better job than a razor!

Highmaintenancefemalestuff Tue 11-Apr-17 14:20:19

Used*

tatatetelle Wed 12-Apr-17 09:47:25

I don't have a brush attachment on mine so don't really know but nothing beats a good scrub in my book grin

LBOCS2 Wed 12-Apr-17 09:57:00

I got this one recently and I've been really pleased with it. I haven't tried it in the shower but my legs are extremely smooth and I'm feeling very proud that I didn't chicken out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now