Talk

Advanced search

Naturally Curly hair product recommendations please

(19 Posts)
Brighteyes27 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:09:24

I have naturally curly hair which I used to try and straighten but I want to go back to my curly locks. I have shoulder length hair can get very dry and tangled matted after washing it.
Recommendations for shampoo leave in conditioner and products please?
I have had an itchy scalp off and in since December so nothing too highly likely to cause a reaction. Thanks

printmeanicephoto Sun 09-Apr-17 22:03:42

Go sulphate and paraben free - has made a big difference to my hair. I also alternate between Body Shop Rainforest shampoo and co-washing. Am using coconut oil a lot plus Shea Moisture products.

woofsaidtimmy Sun 09-Apr-17 22:11:33

Living Proof curl defining styling cream is nice. No silicones and not too heavy for finer curly hair if used sparingly.

MrsJBaptiste Sun 09-Apr-17 23:07:59

I have naturally curly hair (very curly, ringletty) and use Argan shampoo and conditioner from Home Bargains - 99p each smile

I used to use John Freida Frizz Ease but much prefer the Argan products. Not being big headed but I get comments all the time about my hair and I'm so low maintenance! Very few trips to the hairdressers, cheap hair products and wash it twice a week. I love curly hair!

ChocolateSherberts2017 Sun 09-Apr-17 23:23:46

Body shop Rainforest shampoo & conditioner which are sulphate and paraben free

Brighteyes27 Mon 10-Apr-17 00:12:34

Thanks what's co washing?

I was using curl friends or something in pink bottles from boots by an Italian sounding brand. How do I know if it's paraben free? The writing in the side is so tiny what should inns looking out for?

I am also 51 so sweat a lot on the back of my head and also let my hair dry and sometimes walk the dog with it damp enich won't be helping my itchy scalp. I have taken anti histamines since January for this.

tallwivglasses Mon 10-Apr-17 00:42:24

I can't link but Google curlygirl. It's all there. I think someone on style/beauty wrote about it too. Embrace your curlssmile

Softkitty2 Mon 10-Apr-17 07:00:14

Shea moisture range in boots
Mizani true textures- this is loreal's range for mixed race, curly hair -- this is my fave but ££
Carols daughter, miss jessie, kinky curly

Britishcurlies.co.uk

notarehearsal Mon 10-Apr-17 07:07:23

I use Tigi curls rock products, shampoo and conditioner and have recently tried a leave in conditioner that I found in Sainsburys, an australian product ( sorry not near bathroom and cant call what it's called) I also use a curl defining Tigi product

mrssmith79 Mon 10-Apr-17 07:23:19

I've just started using Cantu products on mine and the difference is amazing. I also use a microfibre turban instead of a towel. Think it was £1 from Primark.

Brighteyes27 Sat 15-Apr-17 09:15:42

Thanks all, do any of you suffer from an itchy scalp? It's not dandruff. I am 50 so often have hot moments and I also often go out early on a morning with damp (newly washed hair) to take the dog out before work. So I don't know in the cold whether that's agrivsting it? I used to use John Frieda but switched to curl friends pink packaging about 6 months ago which I was happy with but need to sort this itchy scalp as well as look after my curls.

Ollivander84 Sat 15-Apr-17 09:29:10

Shea moisture
L'oreal hair expertise (or something!)
L'oreal also have a new botanical range on offer at boots that looks interesting

Mine gets itchy but I use elvive intense anti dandruff for men every so often which seems to help. Years ago my mum had this really aromatherapy scented tonic thing that you rubbed on and it was amazing for itchy scalp but neither of us can remember the bloody name!

wendylondongb Mon 17-Apr-17 16:39:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LumelaMme Mon 17-Apr-17 16:51:46

I've just started using the dry hair products from Body Shop's rainforest range (sulphate and silicone free). Total transformation of overly-voluminous mad fraggle to hair I actually like.

Turneeps Mon 17-Apr-17 17:03:14

Aldi own brand tea tree conditioner (silicon free!)

Silvertap Mon 17-Apr-17 17:11:16

If you co wash adding a few drops of tea teee oil to your conditioner will help the itchiness

Jecan Mon 17-Apr-17 17:23:04

Are you anywhere near Birmingham? Matt James is a curly hair guru and he's completely sorted my hair and I only went once.
I was using silicone free shampoo & conditioner but then using a normal mousse for curly hair and he said the silicone free shampoo can't clean the mousse off the hair and scalp so the build up of product was the reason for my itchy scalp.
I'm now using a free from everything (silicone, sulphates, parabens) shampoo from Boots (Love and kind?!?) & a Trepadora leave in conditioner & gel that are also free from everything. The Trepadora products aren't cheap but you don't need much so they last for ages & the customer care from them is great. My hair has never looked so good - wish I'd found Matt James sooner

Brighteyes27 Mon 17-Apr-17 18:23:01

No Birmingham is too far away from me but he sounds brilliant.

Jecan Mon 17-Apr-17 19:05:57

I'm no where near Birmingham either but booked it in combination with another trip to Manchester. Was worth every penny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now