Talk

Advanced search

Summer style! HELP

(14 Posts)
mumsoftwins Sun 09-Apr-17 19:43:56

Right, summer is coming and I don't have anything (was pregnant last summer). What do I buy and where is good?! I don't have a lot to spend... £250 max?

matthewsmummy123 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:38:20

I have the same issue! I'm finding Marks and Sparks' dresses and Boden prairie tops are great!

mumsoftwins Mon 10-Apr-17 22:37:57

Thank you! I'm worried I'm getting old because I love the Per Una stuff! What age is that meant for?!?!!!?

mumsoftwins Mon 10-Apr-17 22:38:12

Sorry I mean from m&s

calzone Mon 10-Apr-17 23:02:15

First get good underwear.
A new bra is a must.

I would buy and have.....

2 pairs of cigarette pants in black and blue
A selection of vest tops
Shirts and tops to go over them
2 skirts.....maybe denim and a floatier one
2 cardigans maybe in bright colours
A good fitting pair of jeans
A cotton dress

Think of the colours that suit you and stick with it. E.g. Navy and cream and add splashes of colour to accessorise.
Navy cream and pink
Navy cream and yellow

phoolani Mon 10-Apr-17 23:40:38

What shops do you normally like?
Not that I know why I'm asking - I only ever shop at cos so I'm not much use...😬

Floisme Tue 11-Apr-17 07:20:47

I think summer's already over round here. Anyway I like to cover up when it's hot so while it lasted, I wore some new, slightly pleated, widish leg cropped chinos from H&M (not on the website so I can't link) a silk shirt (though cotton would do too) and brogues. A kind of toned down Annie Hall look (but no tie, hat or waistcoat).

My husband opened his mouth to make a comment but thought better of it. I however loved it and if summer does come back, that's my look nailed. In the meantime, I'm back in opaques.

matthewsmummy123 Tue 11-Apr-17 08:30:10

I totally agree with @calzone - brilliant list! For cigarette pants I've found M&S (them again) are very good. Per Una is a lot more "hip" these days but maybe in me saying that I've just proved I'm getting older! I really like the long sleeve sleeve floral dresses you see everywhere but DH hates them! women always compliment me in mine though.

Noticed you said didn't have much to spend - I stumbled on a comp here to get £1000 at M&S and similar shops (a few won't work for beyond teenagers - Superdry and Missguided aren't my thing anyway). It's a bit fiddly to click through and fill out but I can't see a catch beyond that!

ChocolateSherberts2017 Tue 11-Apr-17 09:22:35

Good thread over here

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2898682-To-think-current-fashion-is-f-cking-hideous?msgid=68212742#68212742

and here

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2899728-How-to-look-expensive-in-2017

Main tip to remember is to avoid high fashion items which will date by the end of next week. With your budget and a bit of careful planning, you can buy things that will last into late summer/autumn with extra layers & tweaking. Have a look on pintrest for ideas.

mumsoftwins Tue 11-Apr-17 11:02:44

This is so helpful thank you everyone!

I'm not on Pinterest but will investigate.

Is anyone finding Primark any good?

TheChineseChicken Tue 11-Apr-17 11:05:10

Uniqlo is great for budget staples. Hey have some lovely dresses and floaty jumpsuit thingys

mumsoftwins Tue 11-Apr-17 17:17:56

Yeah I'd seen this (unwilling) find their sizing tough though xx

calzone Tue 11-Apr-17 19:22:25

Primark is and looks cheap, unfortunately.

mumsoftwins Tue 11-Apr-17 21:02:13

That's what I thought

@matthewsmummy123 thanks for the comp by the way, I follow her already! Fingers crossed I win! £1000 to spend would very much solve this problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now