Talk

Advanced search

DH dandruff - refuses to treat

(15 Posts)
LockedOutOfMN Sun 09-Apr-17 17:59:35

This has been on off for a couple of years. His scalp looks painful with angry red patches (also gets these on his body) and then the dandruff is large, yellowy, oily- looking flakes. He refuses to discuss it and I think he is washing his hair with water (he used to wash it most days but is now down to every third day and it does look greasy by the end of the second day) and then occasionally with my shampoo. He won't try medicated or targeted shampoos. His hair is black and so the flakes are very noticeable. I want to help him as I can see it's painful but he refuses to discuss it.

Finnellajoe Sun 09-Apr-17 18:04:12

Sounds like psoriasis to me poor chap.

Londonbum Sun 09-Apr-17 18:07:12

Agree, this sounds like psoriasis. I've got psoriasis and it's really bloody awful so as a first step I'd recommend lots of kindness.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 09-Apr-17 18:08:24

Thanks. Are there any over the counter remedies? I don't think he will go to a dermatologist.

HecateAntaia Sun 09-Apr-17 18:10:15

that doesnt sound like dandruff to me either.

not much you can do if he is being childish about it tbh.

i use t gel and it is very effective.

HecateAntaia Sun 09-Apr-17 18:10:50

neutrogena t gel

Londonbum Sun 09-Apr-17 18:10:57

Sorry, I sounded really grumpy and that is because my psoriasis has flared up horribly today in the sun and I am feeling really low about it. The best thing would be for him to go to the GP really. He could try T Gel shampoo, just get it in boots, but really he needs the doctor.

FeckinCrutches Sun 09-Apr-17 18:12:23

If he refuses to discuss I'd just put medicated shampoo into your own brand bottle that you use!

LockedOutOfMN Sun 09-Apr-17 18:17:07

I have tried changing "my" brand to T-Gel, Kerastase anti-dandruff (black lid), Body Shop ginger, and a couple of other natural sensitive scalp/flaky scalp shampoos over picked up in pharmacies, but none of them has helped.

I have also tried to encourage him to comb out the loose flakes in the length of his hair (i.e. not on or near the scalp) but he won't. The children then try to touch them and he gets really angry.

ApplePaltrow21 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:20:45

it's sounds like seborrheic dermatitis.

www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seborrheic-dermatitis/basics/lifestyle-home-remedies/con-20031872

squoosh Sun 09-Apr-17 18:23:57

Sounds like psoriasis to me too. Vitamin D supplements helped me.

ApplePaltrow21 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:41:45

Compare signs and symptoms

Scalp psoriasis

Red skin covered with flakes and silvery scales
Skin flakes (dandruff) that may attach to the hair shaft
Patchy silvery scales or thick crust on the scalp that may bleed when removed
Patches that may extend beyond hairline or appear on other parts of the body
Itching or soreness

Seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp

Red skin covered with greasy-looking white or yellowish scales
Patchy scales or crust on the scalp that may be easily removed
Possibly itching

Scalp psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp share some similar treatments, including medicated shampoos and topical corticosteroid or antifungal solutions. Scalp psoriasis is often persistent and more difficult to treat than is seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp.

www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/psoriasis/expert-answers/scalp-psoriasis/faq-20058544

fishybits Sun 09-Apr-17 18:54:53

L'Oréal men's anti dandruff shampoo. Black bottle with orange lid.

Had psoriasis for years before reading about this shampoo on here, not had it since.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 09-Apr-17 19:55:45

Thanks, everyone. This is it:

*Seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp

Red skin covered with greasy-looking white or yellowish scales
Patchy scales or crust on the scalp that may be easily removed
Possibly itching*

LockedOutOfMN Sun 09-Apr-17 19:56:24

I'll try the loréal one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now