Talk

Advanced search

French women, looking elegant and actual real life with children...

(11 Posts)
Rockinghorsehay Sun 09-Apr-17 13:05:10

I have just discovered the very helpful and interesting threads about looking 'expensive', or perhaps more accurately looking well groomed, elegant and grown up. Like a Parisian woman. Lots of great ideas. But with small children and living in England, especially not in a city, are any of these things attainable? Do these women actually enjoy outside stuff like going to the beach when it's windy, or going on a walk in the country? Or is it just for city based people who work in city type jobs? I so much aspire to looking like an elegant Parisian woman and used to be well dressed before small children came along (lived in London, good job) but often now feel bedraggled, and I don't know if it's a pointless thing to aim for if its incompatible with my lifestyle. Can you be elegant in the English countryside?!

happypoobum Sun 09-Apr-17 14:58:58

You need this book! www.amazon.com/Parisian-Chic-Look-Book-Should/dp/2080202278?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Where do you shop?

Parisian women do still wear jeans but they fit well and are usually teamed with a blazer.

I think fewer patterns help.

Lenny1980 Sun 09-Apr-17 15:15:11

I felt very chic when I went out to join the family in the park earlier today: Breton striped maxi dress, pretty flats, nice sunnies, just had my highlights done yesterday. Then I spent 10 minutes with my 10 month old and I was covered in slobber and most of his picnic lunch!

bellarosa81 Sun 09-Apr-17 17:32:55

I've Been buying more french brands recently as it makes it easier to look more put together.
I just had a baby so i'm living in wrap Dresses - Easy access!
Have you checked out the brand sezane or the higher end "the kooples" ....Also "& other stories " which is swedish but based in Paris. smile

bellarosa81 Sun 09-Apr-17 17:34:02

Oh and i live in the countryside too!

AnitaPallenbergsKnees Sun 09-Apr-17 17:39:21

What I could never get my head around when we were in France is that you would see immaculate ladies walking around but then realised they had to use those public loos! I had a deep admiration for them.
I love the French look but just not built for it.
I live in the countryside and try to dress smartly and be groomed when the occasion demands ( I head to Johnny Lewis) but day to day jeans and the shirts.
Always have a good cut and colour.

Rockinghorsehay Sun 09-Apr-17 17:48:02

I will have a look at the Kooples. I mostly wear things from Toast, Zara, a bit of primark, but mostly Zara. Things like black skinny jeans, a t shirt and then a Toast jumper. Tops are the thing I find hardest.

shinynewusername Sun 09-Apr-17 17:59:04

I am part frog. French women take themselves seriously much more seriously than Brits - which is exhausting, but does make them dress better. No French woman would ever wear anything described in a Joules or Boden catalogue as 'fun' <shudder>. Their staples are plain, neutral separates - no patterns other than stripes. It's boring but it works.

I find the English love of unflattering patterns, ruffles and bright colours endearing though.

Bythepowerof Sun 09-Apr-17 18:05:22

I saw the best dressed mother ever, in Monte Carlo. Whippet thin, beautiful hair, immaculate make up and georgous stiletto heels.
More amazing was she was holding ing the hands of her two small boys ( expensive school uniform), walking up a strip incline in 30 degree heat and still looking gobsmackingly stunning.
No idea how.

Floisme Sun 09-Apr-17 18:08:10

It's years since I spent much time in France but, from what I remember, this look only existed in the most affluent parts of Paris. Everywhere else, they dressed pretty much like we do.

happypoobum Sun 09-Apr-17 19:06:53

Agree with the &Other Stories suggestion. Lovely classy clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now