Talk

Advanced search

Bloody shorts

(14 Posts)
continues Sun 09-Apr-17 12:51:08

I hate them but I need a pair <glares at nice weather>

I normally wear Topshop Joni skinny jeans. They suck everything in and make my legs look ok. But shorts leave me with nowhere to hide my wobbly tummy. blush

I'm an apple shape, bit of a tummy but decent-ish legs. In between a size 14 and 16. Need some shorts that hold wobbly bits in but are comfy and, dare I say it, stylish.

Any suggestions?

Notagainmun Sun 09-Apr-17 13:00:05

I am a size 12 -14 with a tummy. I can never get shorts to suit me. I always cut a pair of jeans and hem them on the sewing machine. The most flattering length for me is knee length or just below my bum. Mid thigh makes my short legs look dumpy.

continues Sun 09-Apr-17 13:21:38

Thanks not. Like the seeing machine idea although I do not own one, nor am I competent on one. I have visions of some kind of denim vs sewing machine catastrophe grin

I tried a pair of knee length Next shorts on yesterday. HIDEOUS. They fitted me around the waist but were hug around the leg and I can't even talk about the camel toe.

continues Sun 09-Apr-17 13:22:46

*huge around the leg

Lalsy Sun 09-Apr-17 13:28:23

Size 14, 50 with awful knees. I like Boden's linen shorts as they come in different lengths and are quite loose around the leg which I think distracts from my knees but I don't really care. I do look as though I am off to colonise a small country though. Not sure they are stylish, more unobtrusive.

RedMetamorphosis Sun 09-Apr-17 13:29:59

I always size up with shorts to give a more casual boyfriend style look and then belt at the waist. I just don't really like the look of fitted shorts, even on models.

2-3 inches above knee is my sweet spot when it comes to shorts, slightly boyfriend style denim. Very rarely chino style. Gap always have decent shorts in.

RedMetamorphosis Sun 09-Apr-17 13:31:14

I'm convinced though that some people are shorts people and some are skirts people.

For some reason, skirts never look right on me but shorts normally do.

I envy you if you can pull off a skirt.

duskonthelawn Sun 09-Apr-17 13:31:49

Could you not wear some loose, light trousers or a maxi skirt?

JennyHolzersGhost Sun 09-Apr-17 13:34:14

As I've just said on another thread, I found the perfect pair at Joules last summer. Navy, cotton, just above the knee, pockets. Comfortable and practical.

continues Sun 09-Apr-17 13:37:36

Thank you for all the replies.

I agree with the boyfriend style thing. I might try that approach.

I'm actually looking at playsuits / shirt jumpsuits online at the moment as an alternative.

I can pull off a skirt but only with 100 denier black tights. My milk bottle legs tend to ruin the overall look blush

JennyHolzersGhost Sun 09-Apr-17 13:37:46

These I think - not available on the Joules website any more sadly but there are some EBay and other sites, from a quick look at Google ...
www.amazon.co.uk/Joules-Rylee-Mid-Length-Shorts/dp/B01CYHGP1O?tag=mumsnetforum-21

continues Sun 09-Apr-17 13:38:53

I have some harem trousers but they make me look enormous. As an apple with decent legs, if I wear baggy stuff on the bottom half I look much bigger than I am.

SIGH.

clapintime Sun 09-Apr-17 16:52:57

I like the Boden Richmond shorts, they seem well cut and are stretchy with 3 different lengths.

JDSTER Sun 09-Apr-17 19:31:55

Yep, Boden shorts. Well cut and three leg lengths and I'm not a shorts wearer as a rule but I've bought a second pair this year for holidays

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now