Talk

Advanced search

How hard is it to drop a few dress sizes?

(4 Posts)
justanotheryoungmother Sat 08-Apr-17 22:01:14

Hi everyone,

Prior to pregnancy, I was a size 10/12. I think when I've had the baby I'll be a size 12/14, as I have gained some weight during pregnancy. However, today I've been very emotional (the joys) and want to be a size 8/10 by the end of next year (DD due in four weeks), so it's only a few dress sizes so it doesn't seem too impossible? I have quite wide hips so even if I lost quite a bit of weight, would size 8 jeans etc ever fit over my hips? (if I was lucky enough to fit into them!) Would this be possible (do you think) and how hard will it be to lose the baby weight? Thank you for any helpful opinions/ tips etc!smile

MorelloKisses Sat 08-Apr-17 22:09:57

Yes, possible.

But when you have had the baby, this may not be priority one and that is ok. Your body is going through a lot, and has a way to go. You may decide to breastfeed, or not... you may want to reclaim your body immediately or not...

That said, yes, of course his can drop a couple of dress sizes. It is unlikely your hip bones are too big to fit a size 8, but of course different shops cut clothes differently to each other.

As a very rough guide (as it varies in height/ build/muscle mass) I think a dress size is about 10 lb at my height, 5ft 7.

But fear not, baby weight can be lost, fitness can be regained, in all the people I know, first babies don't trash/change the bodies all that much (especially when dressed) and your body is pretty busy at the moment doing an amazing thing, so try to be kind to it.

Cornishmumofone Sat 08-Apr-17 22:28:03

I guess some of it depends on exactly how much weight you put on, and where it is. How you give birth will also play a part, as will whether you choose to breastfeed or not. I ran, swam and cycled throughout my pregnancy, so I stayed fit and only put on 7lbs, despite eating whatever I liked. I was lucky that I didn't get any stretch marks, which I think is down to genetics. After giving birth to a 6lb 4oz baby, I weighed less than I did pre-pregnancy... BUT I had an emergency caesarean, so I was unable to get back to exercising as quickly as I'd hoped. I'm also breastfeeding so I can't really cut calories, and I'm blessed with a baby who has never slept for more than two hours at a time. It's amazing how tiredness can make you crave sweet food!

My baby is now 5 months old. I'm able to do Buggy Fit twice a week, swim once a week, run 2-3 times a week and go for the odd bike ride. In theory I could exercise at home, but there's always something that needs to be done, and the baby needs attention! I swam 5km yesterday and ran 20 miles with my running buggy last week as I have a marathon in a fortnight, but even with this level of exercise, I'm not losing weight.

If you are determined and have enough support, you might be able to do it, but there are lots of factors at play. You would need to monitor what you eat, do plenty of weight training and get enough sleep. I currently weigh 63kg and am 166cm (5'5"). I'm reasonably muscular, so wear size 10-12... But I've gone from having C cup boobs, to enormous G cup boobs. Tops fit completely differently and I've spent a fortune on sports bras.

When I was at my slimmest, I weighed 55kg and was a size 6-8 with 33" hips... But I had to be very strict about what I ate. (I never ate at work lunches etc; I brought my own food instead!) Before that I had been a size 14-16 and believed that I had wide hips, so it can be done.

Some final factors that you need to consider are your age and whether you are a yo yo dieter. The younger you are, the easier it will be. If you've never dieted before, you are also more likely to be successful.

Tips to help:
-look up exercise classes that you can take your baby to
- plan all of your meals
- prepare healthy snacks
- know the best options to choose in coffee shops if you're likely to meet up with other mums
- try to find someone who will encourage you in your journey
- be clear on why you want to achieve your goal

GOOD LUCK!

However, today I've been very emotional (the joys) and want to be a size 8/10 by the end of next year (DD due in four weeks), so it's only a few dress sizes so it doesn't seem too impossible? I have quite wide hips so even if I lost quite a bit of weight, would size 8 jeans etc ever fit over my hips? (if I was lucky enough to fit into them!) Would this be possible (do you think) and how hard will it be to lose the baby weight? Thank you for any helpful opinions/ tips etc!

fiorentina Sun 09-Apr-17 11:06:18

It's definitely possible with lots of walking, swimming and avoiding eating lots of cakes/biscuits and sugary snacks you may be tempted by. I was determined to get back in shape asap and the above worked for me, with treats along the way. It was about self restraint with food and keeping active which a summer baby helps with! See how you feel after baby arrives though and don't be hard on yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now