Talk

Advanced search

Curly haired toddler, advice needed!

(8 Posts)
Rinceoir Sat 08-Apr-17 21:51:52

My DD is just turned 3, and has lovely curly hair (completely unlike my boring straight hair) which I was really struggling with until I got some advice on here about the curly girl method. I'm very proud that despite being useless with my own hair she's now got beautiful defined curls, and she now loves having her hair done in the morning (either simply pinned out of her face or a braid-until recently we had tears every morning). It's just below her shoulder blades when wet, pings up to shoulder length when dry.

We are however going on a beach holiday at the end of the month, and I'm worried about undoing all the good work as it gets wet from sea/pool; and will need more washing given the sand/suncreams etc. Does anyone with curls/curly haired children have any advice?

jeaux90 Sun 09-Apr-17 11:41:42

Mine has long curly hair like me. I think if you are worried about the condition just buy some spray in sun protection for hair. Honestly I don't bother I just make sure I put some nice conditioner in when she showers at night and let it dry naturally.

Rinceoir Sun 09-Apr-17 13:31:07

It's just that up until recently her hair was matter and knotted in the morning, and she hated me touching it. Now it's lovely and soft, and she loves it too. Really don't want it going back into a mess that takes ages to sort out every day.

LaundryQueenHatesBunfights Sun 09-Apr-17 13:56:53

Ime a bit of saltwater on curls makes them look great! So maybe less washing?

Rinceoir Sun 09-Apr-17 17:33:11

It's not the saltwater that as much as the masses of sand she will no doubt be covered in which makes me think she'll need more hair washing than usual.

Hellmouth Sun 09-Apr-17 17:35:47

I have really curly hair and my best advice is to put her hair up or in braids when she's playing in the sand, it should reduce the amount of tangles.

If you're washing a lot, wash with conditioner so her hair doesn't dry out too much.

DS (9 months) has beautiful curly hair but DP is already taking about cutting it sad

Gardencentregroupie Sun 09-Apr-17 17:36:40

Could you persuade her to wear a bandana/headscarf?

Is the curly girl method just conditioning instead of shampooing? My DD has tight curls and hates having her hair touched, it's the bane of my life smile

Rinceoir Sun 09-Apr-17 18:37:47

It's washing with silicone free conditioner usually, and using shampoo only once a week sulphate free. Drying it gently with a t shirt instead of a towel and allowing to mostly air dry. Never brushing it when dry. You can easily find advice on google. It's made a huge difference- she no longer wakes with a tangled matted mess, and I can just run my fingers through it in the morning and either clip it out of her face or plait it.

Hellmouth I've recently been French braiding it occasionally, I was thinking if my braiding skills improved that might be the best option. Garden I'll try out a bandana. A bright pink flowery one and call it a beach ribbon or something! She's unbelievably fussy about what she'll wear already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now