Talk

Advanced search

Tops

(23 Posts)
SheStoodInTheStorm Sat 08-Apr-17 21:24:07

Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

I am after some casual weekend tops that I can put on with jeans and go out with my toddler, and some I could dress up a little if going out to dinner etc. I need them to be in a decent material as I get hot easily and sweat (attractive I know).
I am also overweight (on slimming world) and have been putting off buying new clothes, but as I am living in the same cotton tshirts I need some new things.

So not sweat making, ok for overweight, and more than a plain cotton tshirt? And not clingy!
I'm size 16-18 for reference.

Thank you.

SheStoodInTheStorm Sat 15-Apr-17 16:41:03

Anyone?

DelphiniumBlue Sat 15-Apr-17 16:52:00

I'm a similar size to you, and spent all last night trying to find something I liked.
What sort of budget do you have in mind?
Ive found the Boden swing t shirts very useful for daytime, they've got 20% off at the moment. Mint velvet had some dressier ones, but they are quite expensive. White Stuff has a variety of casual tops, although I'm not too keen on this season's colours. River Island had a couple of print, chiffony blouses with a black background which were gorgeous, would work for evening but not anywhere near a toddler. Almost everywhere has broiderie anglaise tops, which might work, they are cotton.

dudsville Sat 15-Apr-17 16:55:59

I go to John Lewis online and search for cotton under tops and you can choose sleeve length and neck style.

WipsGlitter Sat 15-Apr-17 17:42:07

I just got a nice one in Oliver Bonas. https://www.oliverbonas.com/fashion/petal-print-shirt-50886#selection=size:81970;color:Ivory_426

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 15-Apr-17 21:18:05

Uniqlo- they had some really nice tunics and TShirts.
They can be a bit meh though for choice.

I have a navy TShirt with a Grandad collar and a gorgeous patterned long TShirt which are easily 2 years old. Wash lovely , no ironing.

But last year I bought a pink/peach TShirt that looked like a rag hmm

I bought a striped TShirt today , I'll see how it goes .

thenightsky Sat 15-Apr-17 21:20:10

Tunic style tops from Seasalt are pretty nice.

I feel your pain. Practically the only tops I ever wear are plain black ones - t-shirts in the summer, jumpers in the winter, because I find it so hard to find anything that I like, in decent fabrics.

M&S used to do nice cotton and silk mix blouses, but have virtually none nowadays and the few they do have tend to be not very nice.

I quite like the look of this but would prefer black, grey or deep red to white or yellow.

This is really pretty but maybe a bit short and v £££.

Watching carefully to see what everybody else comes up with! smile

thenightsky Sat 15-Apr-17 22:12:18

That yellow one is lovely!

It's gorgeous, isn't it? I love bright yellow, but can only wear it in skirt form.

SheStoodInTheStorm Sun 16-Apr-17 10:59:45

Thank you so much, will check out your recommendations!

Happened to find one in primark (random one on it's own 😩) but it won't work for summer as the material is too thick.

If I find anything else I will post here.

user1488756360 Mon 17-Apr-17 16:27:35

Oasis. Most of my tops are from there hmm. Good quality and reasonably priced.

BusterGonad Mon 17-Apr-17 17:17:30

Oasis is my go to, such lovely prints, sometimes the fabric can be a bit off if it's dark but printed on white iyswim, they do normal sizes and XS,S,M and L, I think a size large will fit you even though they claim it's a 14 to 16, it isn't imo it's at least a 16.

BusterGonad Mon 17-Apr-17 17:22:31

The first one is lovely and I want it! 😂 but the second one if you look closely at the neck line you can see the inside of the t-shirt is white so the dark is printed on the fabric and will fade really really quickly so don't get the ones which are 100% printed. I feel like I've ranted but it's happened to me and oasis is my favorite shop, I do get printed stuff but only in the sale as I don't mind a bit of faded when it didn't cost £££.

Oasis have the nicest prints on the high street, but most of their stuff is polyester now. A shame - they used to do lovely cotton and silk things.

BusterGonad Mon 17-Apr-17 17:41:14

I agree to a degree Remus but I do love the fit and print of their stuff so I'm afraid I'm not put off! 😂

smile Have you tried their viscose Simple Tees, by any chance? Just looking online and they look really nice.

Ooh and this is cotton, and beautiful!

BusterGonad Mon 17-Apr-17 17:48:16

I size up in viscose, no matter what I do it shrinks, regardless of what shop it's from! confusedangry

BusterGonad Mon 17-Apr-17 17:50:45

I bought this and I know it's not a top, but I'm in love with it! 😍

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Mon 17-Apr-17 17:56:23

Warehouse has got a lot of nice stuff in and they go up to an 18. Not quite as good as Oasis imo but worth a look.

KanyesVest Mon 17-Apr-17 18:05:04

I got some lovely linen t-shirts on La Redoute last year. Nice colours and a few options for neck lines and sleeves.

BusterGonad Mon 17-Apr-17 18:18:14

I popped into River Island earlier and I think thy d really upped their game, they have some gorgeous tops and blazers. Good size range too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now