Talk

Advanced search

Help home waxing fail

(11 Posts)
bluuue Sat 08-Apr-17 20:09:29

Please someone give me some advice and tips!
I bought some wax strips from boots I want to wax my armpits.
They aren't massively hairy just super dark and can see the regrowth after a day and I don't want to shave my armpits every day through the summer!
They just didn't work for me at all ripped all of about 6 hairs out!
Has anyone got any brilliant tips or shall I just suck it up and find myself a salon?

DaffodilSunshine Sat 08-Apr-17 20:13:16

I use sugar paste and strips so a bit different but I had a very similar experience myself. I found I needed an extra person to help hold the skin taut when pulling off the strip then it worked much better

bluuue Sat 08-Apr-17 20:14:52

Maybe that's where I went wrong then, I might have to rope someone in to helping me smile

lanbro Sat 08-Apr-17 20:16:20

Not wax but can't recommend the Philips Lumea enough, it's changed my life! Expensive but so worth it if you're dark and hairy like me!

KoolKoala07 Sat 08-Apr-17 20:18:19

Make sure you are pulling the strip in the correct direction. Hairs grow in varying directions. To be honest them home strips are rubbish. They are never hot enough to do what you need. Salon wax is used at a much higher temperature.

bluuue Sat 08-Apr-17 20:18:30

Oooh I've never heard of that I'm going to Google!

bluuue Sat 08-Apr-17 20:19:59

That looks fab lambro but a bit out of my price range at the moment!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 08-Apr-17 20:20:35

My tips - hot wax not the prewaxed strips.

Let the hairs be maybe 5mm long

Pre waxing use a non oily scrub (I use Body Shop Pink Grapefruit )

Dry thoroughly and dust on a light layer of talc.

Armpit hair grows in different direction so you need to wax up and down.

Get your arm behind your head to keep the skin taut , put your wax on (thin layer) apply your strip (I like the clloth ones but they're hard to get )
Rub until you can see the wax through the strip then get the end and keep the strip as near to your skin (so you're not pulling at a 90 degree angle) whisk it off.
Then rewax and repeat , do the opposite way (so one upwards , one downwards)

I was hmm the first few times , it worked but I got Five o'Clock Shadow, but it gets better and the hair gets softer and finer.

Good luck smile

Or you might just think "Stuff it, I'm going to a salon" !

bluuue Sat 08-Apr-17 20:21:06

Koolkoala7 yeah I think I'm just going to have to go to a salon, it will be nice to go on holiday and not take a razor!!

bluuue Sat 08-Apr-17 20:24:18

70isalimitnotatarget
Thanks for the great tips!
I have seen the microwave tubs of hot wax so maybe they will be worth a try if I follow your instructions!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 08-Apr-17 20:26:51

Have you tried an epilator (newer better ones than fine have chill strips)

I use one on my legs , I can aimlessly waft it up and down and round and round grin but I haven't tried it on armpits or bikini
Wax is quicker and you reach the Point-of-No-Return where it on, you need to finish grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now