Talk

Advanced search

My nails are ridiculously weak!

(16 Posts)
Peopleplease Fri 07-Apr-17 17:04:02

My nails have never been really strong but since I had a baby 14 weeks ago it's ridiculous.
They split down the middle just from looking at them!!

What can I do/take to improve them?? They actually grow pretty fast, it's just the weakness.

carrie74 Fri 07-Apr-17 17:39:15

I've had great success with CND Rescue Rxx (i think that's what it's called), after my nails were trashed by too many Shellac treatments back to back. I used it at least daily for about 3-4 weeks and it did wonders for them.

EccentricPickle Fri 07-Apr-17 17:41:22

The Vaseline handcream is pretty good for strengthening your nails. Mine are crap as I bit them for years but they grow quite nicely with this.

Any oil is good for nails too.

LuxuryWoman2017 Fri 07-Apr-17 17:46:39

I have been rubbing oil into my nails and cuticles every night for a few weeks now and my nails are transformed - I use Vit E oil, but any would do.

Congrats on the new baby, I guess you're doing a lot of washing and maybe sterilising at the moment? My hands were red raw with a baby.

Peopleplease Fri 07-Apr-17 19:07:32

luxury no more washing than usual (DD is breastfed).

LuxuryWoman2017 Fri 07-Apr-17 20:52:14

I think post pregnancy after all the hard work our bodies put in, followed by sleepless nights things like nails and hair can go a bit awry for a bit, so maybe a supplement plus the oils would help.

Mine really have improved hugely with a dab of oil and it only takes a moment or two.

dudsville Fri 07-Apr-17 20:57:20

I just posted on another thread. My nails went to pot recently and after google taught me I was destroying my cuticles and weakening the nail bed in doing so, result was flaky nails, it advised to rub something in. I had a tub of 8 hour gel/cream/stuff and have been using that after every handwash and before bed and it's been a few weeks and they are already improved.

chipsandpeas Fri 07-Apr-17 21:05:30

opi nail envy is great, pretty expensive but worth it

readyforno2 Fri 07-Apr-17 21:07:56

Nailtiques protein formula 2. It's brilliant stuff, a bit pricey but well worth it.
http://www.beautybay.com/nailcare/nailtiques/proteinformula2?utmsource=google%2Bshopping&utmm_medium=organic&utmcampaign=shopping%2Bfeed&selectedSku=NATQ0005F&ctyid=gb&gclid=CjwKEAjw8ZzHBRCUwrrV59XinXUSJADSTE5k1tt_r6ex2aPBh8apuJdylkkUlQHagxMSfquR72VPAdRoCQQbw_wcB

Redtartanshoes Fri 07-Apr-17 21:11:51

A cube of jelly every day

Honestly. It works

OohNoDooEy Fri 07-Apr-17 21:15:20

Vaseline

Bluntness100 Fri 07-Apr-17 21:18:02

I take a calcium and magnesium supplement every day, as I don't drink milk in anything and it's important for healthy nails and hair. I'd recommend that,,,

shirleycartersaidso Fri 07-Apr-17 21:59:06

Zinc. It's amazing and cheap.

ThePinkOcelot Fri 07-Apr-17 22:04:07

Also recommend CND rescue after my nails were ruined by acrylics. They were so soft and split easily. They're a lot harder too.
Coconut oil is good too.

TheSpottedZebra Fri 07-Apr-17 22:07:55

I always say it, and it's super boring, but wearing rubber gloves for all washing up, cleaning etc really helps. And having rich hand cream next to the sink and using it after all/most hand washes, rubbing a bit into the nails.

Peopleplease Sat 08-Apr-17 09:39:22

I've used nailtiques before, I'd forgotten about it. I do remember it being really good. Might order it again.

I do take a supplement - complete waman by boots, my midwife recommended it when I was pregnant - it has zinc but no calcium.

I'm also shedding hair worse than our Golden Retriever! It stated at 3 months after birth but assume that's just hormones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now