Talk

Advanced search

Tired of having dull dry skin - moisturisers?

(25 Posts)
Marushka82 Thu 06-Apr-17 22:50:13

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone will be able to help. I am in my mid 30s and my skin is very dull and I'm noticing more and more wrinkles which obviously I'm not too happy about. I currently use an essence, serum and a moisturiser but I cannot see that they make much difference. I just want my skin to have a bit of a glow! I eat healthy and drink a lot of water and exercise.
The skin under my eyes seems to be the worst with some fine lines appearing but in general I would like my skin to be plumper and the tone more even. I recently ordered myself some Redermic night cream but not sure what to do for daytime. Are there any moisturising yet anti wrinkle creams that you could recommend? Many thanks in advance, I should probably add that my budget is around £35.

lettuce1st Thu 06-Apr-17 22:57:17

Honestly, just use coconut oil. Pure organic extra virgin under a fiver coconut oil. Creams are an absolute gimmick, a placebo. Eat well, sleep well, avoid excess drinking and smoking, drink loads of water, be happy and you're on your way. I will say though, my mums 70 and doesn't bother with anything at all and she looks incredible due to good diet and good genes.... I have to try much harder...... X

Ginger782 Thu 06-Apr-17 23:03:04

Same as above advice. Though I personally hate the way coconut oil sits on my skin I love pure rosehip oil. It soaks in and I wake up all glowy. It helps with any redness or blemishes too.

RelentlesslyPositive Thu 06-Apr-17 23:03:21

I'm over 40, and what's ruined my skin is a misspent youth, smoking, too much coffee and not enough water. My mother's skin was amazing at 50, so there is only myself to blame.

Just a thought, but do you sleep on your belly? I used to, until I was pregnant. It pulled lines around my eyes where the skin was stretched by the pillow.

Marushka82 Thu 06-Apr-17 23:08:08

I do actually sleep on my tummy! I don't eat junk, don't smoke, barely ever have alcohol. I cleanse in the evening with some gentle oil cleanser and muslin and every now and then throw a mask on ( Love me some Korean sheet masks). I think I have good genes in that I look younger than my age (or at least people tell me so) but i'm just not happy with the way my skin looks at the moment.

PickAChew Thu 06-Apr-17 23:09:21

There's only so much sticking it down with moisturiser you can do. My skin looks a lot brighter and more glowy if I exfoliate - usually something with salicylic acid (tends to be clinique because I don't tolerate fragrance at all) or, occasionally a good scrub with lush dreamwash, which is really good at taking off loads of built up crap from my oisturiser, with lots of dead skin, which just rolls off!

Something I learnt quite young, due to my atopic tendencies, is that it's best to clean well then moisturise well, but don't expect any product to do both together very well.

Bleurghghghgh Thu 06-Apr-17 23:14:55

It's an acid you need, not a moisturiser. The dullness is probably caused by dead skin hanging on. Nip and fab glycolic pads are a good first to try in my experience

Marushka82 Thu 06-Apr-17 23:19:40

Thanks I think you're might to be onto something with the acid. I have the nip and fab pads so will try to use them regularly and see if that helps. I read about pixie glow tonic but I'm sure there must be a cheaper dupe!

Ginger782 Fri 07-Apr-17 01:43:42

Try switching to a silk pillowcase also - this helps with pulling and stretching of your facial skin at night.

Aquamarine1029 Fri 07-Apr-17 02:42:35

You need to use a retinol. On top of that, use argan oil for moisture.

Marushka82 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:09:36

thanks Aquamarine, do you have any recommendations for something that won't break the bank?

onemorelindor Fri 07-Apr-17 09:53:38

I'm using Vichy Idealia at the moment - serum and day cream - and that seems to have a brightening effect that makes me look less knackered. Not sure about anti-ageing properties.

Marushka82 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:32:23

I just had a look at Boots' website and saw an Una Brennan moisturiser with retinol - might give this a try as it's not too expensive at 13 quid!

LadyOfTheCanyon Fri 07-Apr-17 12:07:25

Oo I came on to say exfoliate but pps have beaten me to it.
Hot cloth cleanse with a good rough flannel rather than a Muslin which do dick all in my opinion.
Nip and Fab or Pixi or any decent acid toner will sort you out.
Moisturisers don't do much in my experience, other than stick dead skin to your face.
REN Flash facial is £34 and is an excellent exfoliant for a once a week going over. Other than that, a flannel and acids and a basic moisturiser if my skin feels a bit squeaky and my skin always looks glowy.

PoundlandUK Fri 07-Apr-17 12:17:53

Exactly which LRP Redermic do you have? Redermic (R) is a retinol product with acid included, already.

Both are low dose, but a good place to start to build up your skin's tolerance.

For day, tonight want to try the Redermic (C10) which also contains hyaluronic acid so should give you an immediate moisture plump too.

PoundlandUK Fri 07-Apr-17 12:19:04

The C10 refers to vitamin c by the way...(good for skin brightening and rejuvenation in general)

GoldSpot Fri 07-Apr-17 12:25:24

For an acid I would recommend Paula's Choice Resist 10% AHA weekly treatment. Fantastic stuff.

Also, an oil as a moisturiser - leaves skin feeling glowy and soft. I use the Clarins Lotus Facial Oil which is suitable for combination skin. It's lovely.

Bleurghghghgh Fri 07-Apr-17 12:27:23

I prefer the extreme nip and fab pads to pixi - they're cheaper and I can get them in boots! Take a look at The Ordinary too - their glycolic is good and their retinol is meant to be good too. Both cheap!

Thecontentedcat Fri 07-Apr-17 12:30:35

I had the same issues as you, now I hot cloth cleanse with a balm cleanser ( I like Clinique ttdo) using a clean cloth every night, then a coulple of nights a week I use alpha h liquid gold and on those nights I don't moisturise after. After cleansing on a none alpha night I use la Roche posay serum and moisturiser for dehydrated skin and it is fab, it's called hydraphase.
www.laroche-posay.co.uk/the-difference-between-dry-dehydrated-skin

Lottapianos Fri 07-Apr-17 13:50:55

'Other than that, a flannel and acids and a basic moisturiser if my skin feels a bit squeaky and my skin always looks glowy.'

Same here. Nip + Fab glycolic pads are fab and I use the glycolic serum as well. I came on to suggest drinking loads of water and eating loads of fruit and veg and watching your sugar intake, but it seems you have that sorted smile

Marushka82 Fri 07-Apr-17 15:05:39

omg, so many good suggestions, thank you!
Ok, so cleanse properly, acid and retinol - got it.
The redermic LPR I got was the night one. I'll have a look at the Ordinary, thank you!

Beautifullymixed Fri 07-Apr-17 16:41:36

I also love nip and fab pads, especially the extreme ones. They soothe and smooth my oily, yet dehydrated, prone to rosacea and hormonal acne, skin beautifully.

I also love Hada labo premium hyaluronic lotion, and the sheet masks. The added moisture is unbelievable - I can't stop touching my skin. If I use at night, I wake up all smooth and soft, and make up goes on like a dream.

Another big recommendation is for The Ordinary's 2% retinol. So gentle and soothing, but boy does it improve my glow.

Aquamarine1029 Fri 07-Apr-17 17:36:21

I use the retinol serum from The Ordinary along with their caffeine solution for my eye area. Excellent products and very inexpensive. For argan oil, I use the one from Radha Beauty. There is no reason anyone should have to spend a fortune for great products.

Ktown Fri 07-Apr-17 17:55:21

Eucerin (or anything with 5%urea)
Grapeseed oil
Glycolic acid
Erborian cc cream (Clair is effectively clear, so should work regardless of skin colouring)
Really plump juicey skin now

Reow Fri 07-Apr-17 17:56:38

Recently I've been testing products out for this. Loving:

Trilogy rose hip oil
GOSH illuminating primer
Claims beauty balm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now