Talk

Advanced search

If you're allergic to soap how do you clean your face?

(29 Posts)
fuzzyfozzy Thu 06-Apr-17 21:33:18

My dd is allergic to soap, rash on hands etc. She's managed til now to never wash her face (sigh). She's now getting spots but I can't think which facial wash to suggest that won't give her a rash.

RedBugMug Thu 06-Apr-17 21:35:03

what soap is she reacting to?

liquid soap makes my eczema worse, but bar soap is fine.

Bloomed Thu 06-Apr-17 21:35:22

Have you tried cetaphil?

Rinkydinkypink Thu 06-Apr-17 21:36:25

Cream cleanser with a hot damp muslin cloth

toldmywrath Thu 06-Apr-17 21:37:39

I'm in my fifties and I have never used soap on my face. You're not supposed to, as it's very drying. I just stand under the shower and let the warm water go over my face.

DaysLikeThis1 Thu 06-Apr-17 21:39:51

My daughter has eczema and has to use dermal lotion, which we get on prescription.

RedBugMug Thu 06-Apr-17 21:41:22

I just stand under the shower and let the warm water go over my face.

how do you get make up/cream/grime off?

AgentCooper Thu 06-Apr-17 21:42:14

Avene cold cream bar - looks like a bar of soap but is pure cold cream and really gentle. If I use anything that's not Avene on my face it ends up bright red and rough, but for me this is the best of their cleansing products as it stops me getting spots and takes eye make up off too.

It's about £4 in bigger branches of Boots, often on 3 for 2.

Cakescakescakes Thu 06-Apr-17 21:43:36

La Roche Posay Toleriane range? The whole Toleriane range is excellent for super sensitive allergenic skin. I use the moisturiser all the time.

www.boots.com/la-roche-posay-toleriane-dermo-cleanser-200ml-10083653

JDSTER Thu 06-Apr-17 21:44:41

La Roche posay toleriane dermo cleanser. Soap free, non foaming for sensitive intolerant skin but good in fact for all skins, particularly as a second cleanse if you wear makeup. Ideal for your daughter as it won't dry her skin out either, which will be a temptation with the oil production and spots but that would be counterproductive as would increase oil production. Available on line and at Boots

Thistledew Thu 06-Apr-17 21:44:49

There are loads of facial cleansers without soap. I have sensitive, spot-prone skin and use 'Angels on bare skin' from Lush.

JDSTER Thu 06-Apr-17 21:45:11

Cross post with cakes smile

zzzzz Thu 06-Apr-17 21:46:27

Just use aqueous cream.

ImSexyAndIKnowIt Thu 06-Apr-17 21:46:57

DD uses Eucerin products. She has a face wash but normally she just wipes over with some cotton wool and the Dermo Purifier Toner and then follows with the moisturiser from the same range. Really helps to keep any spots and oiliness at bay.

fuzzyfozzy Fri 07-Apr-17 07:23:19

Thanks everyone, I had no idea where to start

INeedNewShoes Fri 07-Apr-17 07:26:29

Simple cleanser to remove make up/grime at night but I don't follow the directions on the bottle. Instead, I apply it then wipe it off using a muslin cloth damp with hot water.

In the mornings I just wash my face with water.

tb Fri 07-Apr-17 10:47:33

E45 to get makeup off, otherwise it's a Lidl exfoliant about every 2 weeks.

Ollivander84 Fri 07-Apr-17 12:31:51

Third the toleraine dermo cleanser
I just massage it in and take off with a warm flannel

toldmywrath Fri 07-Apr-17 21:20:01

Rarely do I wear makeup. When I do, I remove with a gentle cream cleanser and rose water toner. Then back to just warm water in the shower. I don't know about grime, I've got a wonderful complexion so perhaps it's down to luck or genes.

toldmywrath Fri 07-Apr-17 21:21:42

Sorry that's in reply to redbugmug.

Hopefully you've had better advice than mine OP and your daughter is soon sorted.

Happy50 Fri 07-Apr-17 22:11:02

Like told I have never used soap on my face as it is sensitive,
In my 50s I have a very good complexion and blessed with very few wrinkles
I wash my face in water.
Occasionally I use coconut oil or Fushi rose oil to take make up off
The only moisturiser I use is the above or Dr Hauschka products
It may be worth taking your DS for a Dr Hauschka facial and beauty recommendations - there products are really gentle
I always use a high factor mineral/organic sun screen or big sunglasses and a hat
Also look at Janey Lee Grace books and websites for natural products
I can not use chemical sunscreens, make up, cleansers as it makes my skin so sore but in the long run I think not using these has helped my skin.

bingohandjob Sat 08-Apr-17 07:35:34

Eve Lom, hot water and a flannel if wearing make up. If not, I just rinse with water but sometimes don't bother....think it does my skin good to leave it for a day or so. I've got really sensitive skin and Eve Lom is the only thing I can cover my face with and it removes everything and never feels taut...sometimes I've forgotten to put moisturiser on afterwards and haven't realised.

browneyesblue Sat 08-Apr-17 08:00:08

I struggle to find products that I don't react to, but my dermatologist prescribed Octenisan for me, and it's great. You can buy it over the counter or from Amazon too.

It's an anti microbial wash, so great for problem skin, but it isn't at all drying or irritating. It's soap free, and can be used on children. A big bottle is less than £10, and lasts ages.

Hulder Sat 08-Apr-17 08:12:42

Whatever you do, don't use Aqueous cream! Aqueous cream is not recommended for ezcema or sensitive skin (or in fact anything at all) as it contains sodium laureth sulfate which dries the skin out.

I would try anything advertised as soap and SLS free. Not tried Eucerin, like Avene extremely gentle cleanser, Cetaphil (tiny bit of SLS but OK), Aveeno, and Dr Hauschka for special occasions.

However she may be managing to get the double whammy of ezcema on hands and oily teenage skin on face sad You can't wash teen spots off by cleansing and trip to GP may be in order.

WellyMummy Sat 08-Apr-17 08:20:19

Another Dermol user here, I'm allergic to fragrance. However I don't use soap on my face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now