Talk

Advanced search

Quick poll:- chat or not at hair, beauty salon etc (lighthearted)

(15 Posts)
tobee Thu 06-Apr-17 15:31:26

Just wondering smile. Do you like to chat when getting your hair done etc? It's sort of the cliche, isn't it? My current hairdressers (male) is my age and knows people from my youth. I enjoy chatting to him. The guy who colours my hair doesn't really chat, which is fine be me. He's still friendly. I don't want to come across to people as a miserable old bag, so I try to chat to anyone. Yesterday I had a 20 minute treatment with a young woman I'd not had before. At the beginning she got me to do some deep breaths, gave me a neck and shoulder massage prior to treatment. Lovely and relaxing. It's keen on ambience, dark wood, Far East feel as an establishment . Then she started up chatting (nothing to do with treatment) and it was that strained conversation you get with people you don't know. She was a nice girl and did a good job but it kind of ruined it because I exhausted and bored myself with my dull answers grin. So do you like a good gossip at the salon? Am I alone in wishing for a chance to just nod off a bit?

BounceBounceSplishSplash Thu 06-Apr-17 16:02:52

Prefer to be left alone. Sitting in the hairdressers is my only opportunity to read magazines and drink coffee in peace.

PeachPants Thu 06-Apr-17 16:08:05

I would love to get my hair done in silence! Unfortunately I always feel awkward...

AliciaMayEmory Thu 06-Apr-17 16:11:18

I probably chat too much to the hairdresser when getting my hair done! I like chatting to people in different jobs and from different places to me, and I enjoy hearing about what people get up to in terms of holidays, activities etc. I find it more awkward when you sit for 3 hours in silence whilst someone does your hair.

ilovecherries Thu 06-Apr-17 16:36:53

I like silence unless we are specifically discussing the matter at hand. No I'm not going out tonight, no, I haven't booked my holidays, no I'm not going anything exciting for the rest of the day. I'm actually getting my hair done only because I don't do my own roots and I can afford to pay to have it done! I hate inane chatter, especially when all my responses just make me look boring.

Diamonddealeroncemore Thu 06-Apr-17 16:46:50

I really struggle with light hearted chatter. I'm fine if I'm asked a question but after that I sit like a boring old bag (I'm sure that is what my hairdresser thinks of me!) because I'm no good at starting up a conversation. I often worry that I'm just sat there not talking.

Destinysdaughter Thu 06-Apr-17 17:24:51

It really depends on the person and whether we have anything in common tbh. I'm not a naturally chatty person but try and make an effort. I was at the hairdressers yesterday and really got on with my hairdresser. She's pregnant so I told her about MN! We've also both been to India so talked about that. However I've had hairdressers before where we've had nothing in common and it's felt quite strained. I always take my kindle so I've got something to read in case!

HemanOrSheRa Thu 06-Apr-17 17:31:01

I love chatting when I'm getting my hair and nails done. I'll talk away for hours with the salon staff and the customers.

Strummerville Thu 06-Apr-17 17:32:15

I haven't been to a hairdresser since January 2015, and this is the main reason why grin. I feel SO awkward. I can't do chit-chat at all.

Gah81 Thu 06-Apr-17 18:11:52

No chat for me please. I have to talk all day long, every day so it is a rare moment of peace and quiet. Tbh, they probably don't want to make yet more small talk with you either. I like to think I've never offended a therapist/hairdresser by (after preliminary niceties and chat) smiling at them and saying "I'm very tired today so if you don't mind, I think I may just read my magazine"

neveradullmoment99 Thu 06-Apr-17 18:45:58

It could feel a bit awkward without but i cant be bothered with it really. I cannot stand the typical, are you going anywhere nice on holiday? I really cba but i suppose to sit in silence might be a bit shit too.

Judydreamsofhorses Thu 06-Apr-17 20:07:58

I've been seeing the same hairdresser for about ten years, so we can chat normally, like friends. When she was off for a few weeks for an op and another stylist cut my hair it felt awkward and forced.

tobee Fri 07-Apr-17 00:59:25

Interesting responses. A few years ago the young woman dying my hair would be saying about nightclubbing, doing shots, being hungover etc while looking like a model and I'd be saying "yeah, I know what you mean!" trying to keep my end up, whilst thinking afterwards "who am I trying to kid? I've got a pair of pre schoolers at home!" Yesterday the beautician said something about doing the same treatment for her mother. And the thought struck me "soon they'll be thinking I could be their grandmother!" So not only are the conversations awkward small talk but I'm faking that I could be one of their friends! Totally my own fault.

thegoatwhogotthequiche Fri 07-Apr-17 08:38:46

I'm fine either way, whichever gets the bets result. The lady who does my colour loves to chat and I think it relaxes her a bit which I think must be a good thing.

The cutter does not like to chat and especially during the more detailed bits there is complete silence. I am fine with that, I come out with an amazing cut every time so I'm happy.

CarrieWatermelon Fri 07-Apr-17 09:43:23

I've had the same hairdresser for abut 10 years, so we have settled in to a nice, easy routine. We chat while she is cutting, and then I chill out in silence while she is blow-drying and styling. I actually look forward to our chats, as she is an easy going, funny person and be get to catch up on each other's lives.

Also been going to the same salon for manicures/pedicures for years, and have settled in to a good routine. Chit-chat during a manicure, but I read a magazine for pedicures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now