Talk

Advanced search

Do you go back to your hairdresser when you aren't happy with your haircut?

(17 Posts)
elephantcuddles Thu 06-Apr-17 15:21:58

Went to a new hairdresser the other day (new to me). I liked the result at first. I was a hairdresser while I went through uni and still have good haircutting skills. I told her what I wanted and I'm not happy with the result. But here's the thing... I am afraid to go back because what if she just makes it worse? I want to ask her if she can make a few tweaks to it, but I'm afraid it will just make everything worse.

It looks a bit bulky and shapeless. I have very thick hair and the way she layered it is all wrong. It's not a disaster per se, but it definitely wasn't worth what I paid for it.

Should I just let it grow and go to someone else next time or ask her to fix it? She is independent, so I can't go to someone else within her salon. She works alone in a suite. So tired of bad haircuts... haven't had a good haircut in over a year and a half now and it's driving me nuts.

dudsville Thu 06-Apr-17 16:35:21

I wouldn't. If I was that unhappy with the outcome I wouldn't be hopeful they could fix it.

elephantcuddles Thu 06-Apr-17 16:46:57

Yeah, that's kind of my thinking too. :/ Might just make matters worse. I can explain to them exactly how to fix it, but even then it might not work.

lalaloopyhead Thu 06-Apr-17 16:55:25

I have once. I had my hair cut and the hairdresser straightened it before doing the layering and thinning out, I had fairly short hair at the time. Anyway all seemed fine but next day I caught sight of the back of it in a changing room mirror and it seemed to not be blended very well do had quite obvious lines in it. I rang and the salon owner answered and I said I was really sorry to have to call but I really wasn't happy with my cut and explained the problem. She told me to go straight down and she sorted it out no problem.
I don't say if I think it is just a misinterpretation though, as I just put that down to my bad description of my expectations.

elephantcuddles Thu 06-Apr-17 16:59:23

Lala, but did another person fix your hair than the original hairdresser who cut it?

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 06-Apr-17 17:00:30

I usually tell the hairdresser I love it and then go home and cry. grin

If you have good cutting skills and know what will improve it, why not set up a couple of mirrors and do it yourself?

elephantcuddles Thu 06-Apr-17 17:06:12

Ilost, I think that's totally normal. Haircutting is my niche in the world of hairdressing. I'm actually really good at it, but even I can't really tell if I love the haircut or not until I get home and look at it from a lot of different angles, get my hands in it, etc.

I have very thick, reasonably long hair. It's really not possible to cut my own hair because I can't get my arms in the positions needed to cut it. And I paid good money for it, so I want what I paid for.

jamie2 Thu 06-Apr-17 17:07:26

I've done it once. It took me ages to summons up the courage, but the cut was very uneven and lopsided. The owner of the shop was very apologetic and recut it. It was the best haircut Ive had for along time, however I didnt go back to the hairdressers after that because I couldn't face the hairdresser who had cut my hair as I knew I had got her in trouble, even though it was her fault.

elephantcuddles Thu 06-Apr-17 17:13:00

But I'm talking about going back to the same person who screwed it up to begin with to allow them to fix it -- not the owner or another stylist in the salon. You should never feel embarrassed to go back. They want your business and by you going back, it helps them be better hairdressers because they learn from their mistakes.

bojorojo Thu 06-Apr-17 17:15:47

I have gone back with a colour issue. They put it right for £0. A cut is a bigger problem. Perhaps go elsewhere and get it sorted? Or just wait until it grows? If it is uneven, not level or clearly has a bit left long when all around is short,I would go back for a tweak! If it is minor, go back.

Bananajam Thu 06-Apr-17 18:06:35

I did and the owner cut my hair again which was much more flattering. I stayed going for years after and had the girl who did the awful cut, style it again much later on. I did feel awkward going in but it was a big change and not really the hairdresser's fault, i just couldn't style it the same and it was a mess.
I would go back again if necessary. They want you to be happy and go back too them so it is worth going in and having a quick chat.

elephantcuddles Thu 06-Apr-17 18:48:35

Yes, but the question is of whether you'd let the person who screwed up your hair in the first place cut it again. Not the owner or another stylist. In my case, I don't have another person to ask. I feel like I'm stuck letting this grow out for three more month or trying to fix it a little myself. It's not a complete disaster but not what I wanted at all.

FloatyCat Thu 06-Apr-17 20:32:56

Yes, Ive done me it twice at the same hairdressers with different stylists. It was rather embarrassing to go back, but my hair looked bad and I literally got to the point when I couldn't stand it anymore, and needed it sorted asap.

toffeeboffin Thu 06-Apr-17 21:47:20

I've never gone back TBH.

90% of the time I'm unhappy with my haircuts though, it's always wrong! I've tried loads but only ever liked one hairdresser.

brickinitIam Thu 06-Apr-17 21:51:54

I did it once, but made out I hadn't explained myself properly and would she mind putting in a few more layers on top.
She didn't mind and because I did it in a way that she saved face, she didn't act arsey about it and was professional and I continued going back for years.

Spam88 Thu 06-Apr-17 21:57:11

The most expensive haircut I've ever had was just awful. When he showed me the back I was horrified, but I still said it was great...I then tied my hair up as soon as I left the shop, called my husband in distress and didnt go out with my hair down until I could get back to my hometown a few hundred miles away to my old hairdresser to fix it. Probably should have just said I wasn't happy with it but you know...British and all...

elephantcuddles Fri 07-Apr-17 01:22:17

I also had an expensive cut by a "designer" or "master stylist" once who bragged that she had been all around the world and trained and blah blah... and the result was HORRIFIC. That took a long time to grow out. So glad this one is nothing like that time. Whew. Sometimes when a hairdresser is really full of themselves or thinks they're some sort of artiste, they get a little carried away... or are just shit at cutting hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now