Talk

Advanced search

Shampoo / Treatments for hair breakage

(9 Posts)
EnterFunnyNameHere Thu 06-Apr-17 12:28:08

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help as google is not helping at all!

In the last few months my hair has gone from really strong and healthy to having a LOT of breakage. I'm pretty sure it is breaking not falling out, as the bobble/root isn't at the end of the shed hairs. Has anyone come across this and found any shampoo/treatment/tricks to help manage it?

For background, I'm 32, with no hormonal/diet type changes which I think might have caused this. I wash my hair every other day with a no sulphate shampoo and rough-dry it with a blow drier. I have had this routine for years with no change. I've also never dyed my hair and haven't so much as straightened it for >2 years so I'm not doing anything too harsh to it I don't think....

Help!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 06-Apr-17 16:37:19

It might be worth asking for a few checks and blood test at the doctors. There are a few illnesses that can cause hair breakage, including thyroid problems. It may help to take vitamin supplements in the meantime.
There doesn't seem to be any external factors causing it, if you don't dye or heat treat your hair. Do you have quite an old hairdryer? Sometimes old ones start to overheat massively, essentially burning your hair!

I have had success with Philip Kingsley Elaticsizer. A treatment you put in before shampooing. Any intensive conditioner left on your hair, covered with a shower cap for an hour or so will also improve the condition. Brittle hair needs moisture, not protein, so look for anything containing Moroccan or Argan oil or claiming moisturising properties.

EnterFunnyNameHere Thu 06-Apr-17 17:36:13

hmm, that's interesting thank you. I did have some blood tests last year to rule out thyroid issues (was feeling tired constantly) but everything came back normal - maybe I need re-testing? Although mood-wise I haven't noticed any change?

EnterFunnyNameHere Sat 08-Apr-17 08:45:39

Hopefully Saturday bump? It's getting me down sad

Bythepowerof Sat 08-Apr-17 15:22:38

I have the exact same thing. Started last year. I'm pretty sure hormones has something to do with it but no idea which ones or what you can do.

Diet helps but unfortunately it takes a few months to show in your hair. So it stopped breaking quite as badly a few months ago and now seems to have started again. I can't pin down what's different said from giving up the diet after Vhristmas which appears to have had a knock on effect.

10Betty10 Sat 08-Apr-17 20:10:47

Moroccan Oil Moisture Repair shampoo and conditioner- totally sorted out my hair breakage. Seems expensive but is seriously worth every penny- also, you only need to use a really small amount so ends up being surprisingly long lasting. They often have offers on it on feelunique I've found.

10Betty10 Sat 08-Apr-17 20:12:10

Also- make sure you always use a heat protector spray before you blow dry, that helps too.

EnterFunnyNameHere Sun 09-Apr-17 07:48:01

Thanks all! I think I'll just have to find some argan / Moroccan oil shampoo, and see how i go!
Plus a visit to go Tuesday just in case...

LexieSinclair Sun 09-Apr-17 07:50:58

Redken Extreme shampoo & conditioner. It made my dry broken hair feel like silk. I use it a few times a week now and my hairdresser always comments how healthy my hair is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now