Talk

Advanced search

Foundation advice

(8 Posts)
theshooglypeg Wed 05-Apr-17 23:01:51

Need some advice from make-up gurus.

I have red skin that is prone to acne, so I need lots of coverage from a foundation.

For years I used L'Oreal True Match powder foundation, which I liked because it gave me consistent coverage quickly, without mucking about with cream and powder. But it's really messy and also dried my skin.

So on the advice of the assistant in Space NK, I've bought an Hourglass Vanish foundation stick. But I don't like it - the redness shows through, I have to reapply it a lot and it goes patchy quickly.

I want:

- consistent coverage
- an all-in-one product, not separate cream and powder
- a foundation that doesn't dry my skin
- something I can apply in two minutes flat that lasts for several hours
- a product that's not massively expensive.

Am I asking for the moon? On a stick? With a side order of chips?

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks, well-informed Mumsnetters!

highinthesky Wed 05-Apr-17 23:05:41

I used Revlon Colorstay (oil free) during my 20s and 30s, plus a concealer stick on the blemishes. It's about £13 / bottle, which would ladt me for 3-4 months with daily use.

slinkysaluki Wed 05-Apr-17 23:16:02

Max factor cream to powder compact is good and reasonably priced

NewIdeasToday Wed 05-Apr-17 23:22:41

Not a makeup guru at all!

Given that you've presumably paid quite a lot for the hourglass foundation, how about a green primer that helps to balance out redness? Boots do a good one.

kittytom Wed 05-Apr-17 23:26:40

I love Laura Mercier foundation. It is expensive but worth it. I am also prone to red skin.

Ollivander84 Wed 05-Apr-17 23:31:23

It doesn't really come under the not expensive but Lancome teint 24hr with a beauty blender. I find a beauty blender (I use the real techniques version) dampened gives me the most even coverage
Revlon colour stay and l'oreal infallible are worth a look

TitaniasCloset Thu 06-Apr-17 01:37:22

Kat von d lock it or Mac studio fix preferably.

Loreal are doing a lasting finish one at the moment, its quite thick though. Its called infallible total cover (quick check in my make up box!) I think I might start using a primer with it though.

theshooglypeg Thu 06-Apr-17 08:46:10

Thanks everybody. I will do some more research and check out these suggestions. In the meantime a green primer is a good idea: I am too frugal not to use up the Hourglass one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now