Talk

Advanced search

I've got a beard - help!

(26 Posts)
PetallyTyrants Wed 05-Apr-17 16:47:08

54, post menopause, under active thyroid.

Past few weeks when looking in the mirror with daylight behind me I've noticed fine downy hair along jaw line on one side of my face that I don't remember being there before.

Asked husband and he bloody lied and said he couldn't see anything.

Today, I had the genius idea of actually putting my specs on and it's definitely there - beard and quite luxuriant I might be exaggerating

So please tell me you've got one too and what to do about it!

faceremovinghaircream Wed 05-Apr-17 17:00:01

Hello, I feel your pain. Mine isn't downy though, mine comes through like proper beard hairs shock. It gets me really down. Used to tweeze when there were only a few but have had to resort to daily shaving. Would love to go down the laser removal route but I'm guessing that's £££. Would be worth it though. Sorry that's of no help whatsoever!

nigelforgotthepassword Wed 05-Apr-17 17:00:36

Is it dark hair? I swear by my Lumea home laser-expensive but works.

faceremovinghaircream Wed 05-Apr-17 17:05:29

Nigel is it painful, and how quick do you see results? Thanks.

hideehigh Wed 05-Apr-17 17:14:15

Laser hair removal if it's a real cause for concern. The home machines are ok but if you've got the spare cash, go for a course at a proper clinic as the lasers are much more effective and powerful. Groupon do amazing deals sometimes (70% off) and it really really works. (Some clinics even offer finance, if it's that important to you - it is to me)

MoiraRosesMeltdown Wed 05-Apr-17 17:23:02

I have very thick, black hair so get hairs on my face sometimes. I just get it waxed off. It takes 5 mins and costs £8. IT lasts 6 weeks.

PitilessYank Wed 05-Apr-17 17:36:04

Laser hair removal is only permanent if the hair is dark.

hideehigh Wed 05-Apr-17 17:39:40

Pitilessyank is right, the darker the hair the better but it can work on some less pigmented hair - just not grey. A consultation would tell you

PitilessYank Wed 05-Apr-17 17:50:43

Yes, it also has to do with the level of contrast between the hair and the underlying skin, the higher the contrast the better.

I am under the impression that a laser for light hair is under rapid development as well.

PetallyTyrants Wed 05-Apr-17 17:58:37

Thanks for replies - misery loves company grin

Alas, beard is light. Head hair grey but hidden by highlights.

Aoibhe Wed 05-Apr-17 18:02:11

54? I was 30 sobs and I get it waxed and pluck daily inbetween

nigelforgotthepassword Wed 05-Apr-17 18:25:33

Not painful at all really-laser feels warm and you can feel a bit of a charge against the skin but that's it.
Mine reduced hair regrowth rate immediately-no hair at all after about 4 uses and I top it up a bit every for weeks or so now. Mine works best on my face-was ok ok legs-but time consuming so I don't do it as often as I should for optimum results-for some reason rubbish on bikini line.

muffintopsausage Wed 05-Apr-17 18:44:57

I'm 27 and been shaving every other day from 17yo due to PCOS.

You're lucky!.

Dark hair too sad

lovelygreysky Wed 05-Apr-17 18:53:54

For fine, downy hair an Epistick is great:

www.amazon.co.uk/EPISTICK-EPILATOR-FACIAL-REMOVAL-REMOVER/dp/B004LNXA0Y?tag=mumsnetforum-21

It hurts but is very thorough and I only have to do it every 2-3 weeks. Also extremely cheap!

LadyLapsang Wed 05-Apr-17 19:20:44

I get mine threaded and having laser treatment from a good salon is on my to do list - I've heard Harvey Nichols is good.I bought a Lumea with the intention of trying it on my legs but haven't got it out of the box! Not sure if I would be brave enough to use it on my face.

PitilessYank Wed 05-Apr-17 23:39:35

Lovely-How do you use the Epistick? I was never able to work it correctly...

PlaymobilPirate Wed 05-Apr-17 23:43:17

pit there are youtube videos on how to use an epistick 😁

PitilessYank Thu 06-Apr-17 00:13:04

Thanks!

lovelygreysky Thu 06-Apr-17 00:17:49

Pitiless, it took me a few minutes to get the hang of it, too. I think at first I was twisting the handles in the wrong direction. As Playmobil said, have a look on youtube and give it another shot. This video describes it quite well: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYyaMgr1Zl8]]

lovelygreysky Thu 06-Apr-17 00:18:34

Sorry, link fail... www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYyaMgr1Zl8

PitilessYank Thu 06-Apr-17 00:37:16

Oh, thanks for the link, that is very kind of you!

mammmamia Thu 06-Apr-17 00:50:27

The epistick is really really good once you get the hang of it.

SailAwaySailAwaySailAway Thu 06-Apr-17 00:55:32

Epilator. The same one I use everywhere else. Stings a bit but better than looking in the mirror and thinking 'It's the wooluff! It's the wooluff! That's who it is it's the wolf''.

PetallyTyrants Thu 06-Apr-17 11:26:00

When the hair grows back after using the Epistick, what's it like? I'm worried I'll go from downy to bristly.

Would it work on DD's emerging tash? She's 13, olive skinned and dark haired and at the moment the tash is more of a shadow.

mammmamia Fri 07-Apr-17 10:07:40

When I was your DD's age I used hair removing cream - for some reason it works better at that age

Not sure about epistick on downy hair tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now