Talk

Advanced search

Spring coat for work (not beige belted mac)

(20 Posts)
OutandIntoday Wed 05-Apr-17 07:00:46

I can't wear double breasted belted macs - I'm an apple and they make me look like a barrel! I can't wear beige as it makes me look ill! The shops are full of these coats.

What does look good on me is a slim line slightly fitted single breasted cream or light grey midlength coat! Ideally washable and needs to be smart for work (don't want a rain mac with hood).

I just cannot find one at all- getting fed up looking. Has anyone seen a good one?

BikeRunSki Wed 05-Apr-17 07:02:08

Watching with interest!

bingohandjob Wed 05-Apr-17 07:30:37

It's black but might be worth a look at their full range too...https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/women-single-breasted-rain-coat-183436.html

OutandIntoday Wed 05-Apr-17 07:46:34

Sorry i should add I'm in Scotland and also broad shouldered so really need to be able to try it on- Uniqlo not ventured north if the border!

OutandIntoday Wed 05-Apr-17 07:49:44

The uniqlo one looks good though- but beige- difficult to tell if it is orangey and how do they size - is L a broad shouldered 14? I am dreadful at sending things back!

BikeRunSki Wed 05-Apr-17 07:51:29

That's my concern with Uniqlo too. I'm broad shouldered and big boobed, and in Yorkshire. No Uniqlo here either.

SesameSparkle Wed 05-Apr-17 08:52:24

Cream single breasted trench in a size L. You can tie the belt behind your back to give a slimmer line.

JustABitOfUncertainty Wed 05-Apr-17 08:56:44

The colour of the one SesameSparkle has linked to is stunning. I know because I bought it.

I can't wear beige either but this one is a very fresh uplifting ecru type shade, very flattering against the face.

The coat in general is gorgeous and I can vouch for the quality of Four Seasons.

However, I returned the coat because when I did it up, it looked weird on me. I am petite and ever so sightly overweight though. I think it would look stunning on a taller person.

JustABitOfUncertainty Wed 05-Apr-17 08:59:30

Lots of spring coats in Esprit, e.g. www.esprit.co.uk/womens-jackets-coats/fitted-coat-with-jacquard-stripes-037EE1G027_110

Euphemia Wed 05-Apr-17 09:12:14

Uniqlo are daft. They should have taken over the old BHS site on Princes Street in Edinburgh. They'd make a fortune up here!

BumbleNova Wed 05-Apr-17 09:17:36

have you looked at seasalt? they have started doing smarter versions of their rain macs:
www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/women/new-arrivals/true-north-long-waterproof-coat_fathom.htm

www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/women/clothing/casual-jackets-in-soft-cord-and-printed-cotton/drizzledays-hooded-a-line-jacket_dahlia.htm

BumbleNova Wed 05-Apr-17 09:24:05

this one?

www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/women/clothing/casual-jackets-in-soft-cord-and-printed-cotton/downpour-long-grey-waterproof-raincoat-with-hood_chalk_grey.htm

lurkingfromhome Wed 05-Apr-17 09:42:55

Oh what a brilliant idea, Euphemia. I think I would die of happiness if that happened (instead of having to walk past the grim "Scottish Home Stores" or whatever they've called it that is there at the moment).

Euphemia Wed 05-Apr-17 09:45:18

I've never been in that shop - it looks like my hair would stand on end with static electricity the minute I walked in the door.

lurkingfromhome Wed 05-Apr-17 09:46:54

Yes, sadly they are no stranger to the inflammable polyester leggings, it seems. Sigh ...

Sorry to hijack, OP, as we bemoan the lack of Uniqlo up here grin

OutandIntoday Wed 05-Apr-17 19:21:33

Sorry for dissappearing - bemoan away- don't get me started on Edinburghs lack of a Cos and also &Other Stories - what do they get instead but a grossly over priced Anthropology !

The Seasalt are too ££ atm - looking at the £60 mark and a bit too outdoorsy still. Nice jackets in Esprite but none match what i am after. The JL one is dry clean only and the neckline could be an issue for makeup but i like the colour.

SesameSparkle Wed 05-Apr-17 21:13:09

I reckon that uniqlo is a pretty good option in your price range. I've had a uniqlo trench in the past and it was great. I've also spotted this landsend coat in a few colours - I like the light blue - which might work?

MaryLennoxsScowl Wed 05-Apr-17 21:28:32

We should start a petition begging for And Other Stories and Cos up here. Maybe we could all promise to spend £100 a month if they bring us a store, I'm sure I would do that by accident even without a promise.

SesameSparkle Wed 05-Apr-17 21:40:07

And this Tu coat seems not a bad low cost option, albeit in navy.

Shenanagins Wed 05-Apr-17 22:15:44

Have a lootin Benetton as they usually have nice coats.

Go to Glasgow for Cos. Although every time I wander in I'm faced with shapeless clothes so don't get the mn love of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now