Talk

Advanced search

Excessive use of spray deodorant (teen DD) - what's the answer?

(18 Posts)
homebythesea Tue 04-Apr-17 22:14:39

Just that basically. She gets through a can a week! Definitely not sniffing it (😱) just spraying ridiculous amounts in each pit. I have demonstrated to her how much I spray and she acknowledges that I don't smell (!) but doesn't seem to be able to reduce her use. She says she hates "icky" rollons. I just think it can't be good for her to use that much spray - what's the answer?

cece Tue 04-Apr-17 22:15:33

Count your blessings - my teen has the opposite problem. Boak.

DermotOLogical Tue 04-Apr-17 22:15:57

Buy roll ons or give her money to budget for her own toiletries.

LemonBreeland Tue 04-Apr-17 22:17:05

Buy the solid stick ones or let her buy her own.

Believeitornot Tue 04-Apr-17 22:17:12

Cream roll on. Much better than ones with those balls.

jobrum Tue 04-Apr-17 22:17:50

Try with a cream or stick? None of that faff of waiting for roll ons to dry and very effective too.

tigerdriverII Tue 04-Apr-17 22:18:35

Make her buy it herself!

But watch out for her pinching yours: I like Vichy roll on antiperspirant which is usually around £8 a pop and I have to hide it from DS as he "likes the smell ". He does smell very fragrant (mainly because he nicks my perfume as well grin).

NotInMyBackYard1 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:21:23

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/29/schoolgirl-12-died-inhaling-much-deodorant-used-like-going-fashion/

show her this - then buy the 48hr sure cream one - NOTHING works as effectively IMHO.

Lunde Tue 04-Apr-17 22:22:54

I would stop micromanaging a teenager's personal care. Leave her alone and let her get on with it- she's a teenager and paranoid about smelling. Who cares if she is using 30p extra of deodorant.

I cannot use anything but sprays as the sticks, creams and roll ons give me rashes

Wolfiefan Tue 04-Apr-17 22:26:04

Buy one spray. And then a solid deodorant or cream one (roll ons are yuck!) If she uses the spray up too quickly then she has to use the other one until you buy the next spray.
Spray deodorant gives me an asthma attack. It's grim.

Kbear Tue 04-Apr-17 22:28:27

perhaps she is worried about excess perspiration? Suggest to her that there are products that can help manage this - Driclor for example.

My DS was utterly depressed about his sweaty armpits in school shirts and Driclor works wonders

I would also vouch for something like Mitchum stick deodorant - very effective and dries instantly - often two for £4 in Superdrug

Aria2015 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:36:36

I totally remember me and my friends being like this. There is always one person in the class room who has BO and gets mercilessly bullied for it and it instills the fear of god in everyone that they might become that one who has BO!!! So to avoid this you spray! You spray yourself and your clothes and you do it multiple times a day! Lol! It's just teenage paranoia - I got over it (eventually) and now happily apply a stick deodorant once a day (twice if I shower twice). There are worse things she could be spending money on (I also used to spray deodorant to cover up the smell of cigarettes!).

Astro55 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:39:33

Buy some nice perfume?

homebythesea Tue 04-Apr-17 22:44:58

notinmybackyard thanks for the link- its this sort of thing I was concerned about but didn't realise there is actual evidence sad

tugerdriver yes she often nicks mine!! Very irritating to have to find it in her bombsite room

I like the idea of one soraycan then a stick for back up. kbear definitely not an excess sweat issue, she does a lot of activity and I've never detected damp or stained clothing.

aria that's reassuring thank you.

I think I need to research some good bogof deals for DEo for the time being! Thanks for the input

Roomba Tue 04-Apr-17 23:46:27

NotInMyBackYard1 - I was about to post a link to that story when I saw you had done so.

I had a word with my DS about it as I heard him spraying and spraying like mad repeatedly in the bathroom. After some discussion I discovered the root of his recent deodorant and body spray obsession - it appears he misunderstood the instructions on the first can he was bought, and thought it was some kind of spray on soap confused. So for months he's been spraying it all over himself and then rinsing it off in the bath/shower. Repeatedly. I had wondered why he still had BO! He's of exceptional intelligence but it seems somewhat lacking in plain common sense grin. I was weeping with laughter when I realised what he'd been doing...

TBF I looked and all it says on the can is 'Shake can well before use. Hold can upright 15cm (6 inches) from body and spray. Use only as directed'. Doesn't actually mention armpits anywhere on it. Instructions were unclear!

ImperialBlether Tue 04-Apr-17 23:53:42

Just a warning. My ex taught a boy of 16 who was going out with his girlfriend. His girlfriend called for him and when his mum went upstairs to find him, he was dead. He'd sprayed so much Lynx in a small bedroom. You're not meant to spray tons of that stuff.

ImperialBlether Tue 04-Apr-17 23:54:42

That was a long time ago, but I've just Googled it and there are loads of cases.

specialsubject Wed 05-Apr-17 09:20:09

The instructions say not too use to much and to ventilate the room. If you spray out most of the can and breathe it in, then it would be dangerous.

Most things are dangerous if misused.

Buy her a stick as they reek less than sprays, and dry quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now