Talk

Advanced search

Why do hairdressers insist on giving me big hair?

(26 Posts)
ReluctantlyRedundant101 Tue 04-Apr-17 20:45:16

Just got my hair cut quite short (think Robin Wright in House of Cards) but it happened when I used to get my hair cut in a bob too hairdressers always insist on giving me 'body' and I end up looking like one of the hair bear bunch! Is it my age? (45)

nextchapterplease Tue 04-Apr-17 22:57:29

I have no answers for you but this made me smile - I am the same age as you and have a similar problem but I call mine lego hair.
My hairdresser always dries it using quite a lot of product which I never use myself and so it's like a solid block of hair .. normally quite umm 'bouffant'
I feel your pain - maybe it is just our age

DramaAlpaca Tue 04-Apr-17 23:08:05

Same here. I want to come out of the hairdressers looking sleek, but always end up looking bouffant. I can't wait until I wash & dry it myself next day so it looks how I want.

Astro55 Tue 04-Apr-17 23:09:15

I get the same as well! Makes me look years older - don't know why they do this

emochild Tue 04-Apr-17 23:15:07

I have the opposite problem -my hairdresser seems to think long hair = straighteners

Poker straight, flat to my head -it's not a look I can carry off and makes me look witchy

lorelairoryemily Tue 04-Apr-17 23:22:45

Any of you try telling your hairdresser that it wasn't what you wanted? Or better yet tell them before they blowdry what you do like!!

KanyesVest Tue 04-Apr-17 23:42:13

I'm going to a wedding in 2 weeks so getting my hair cut on Saturday to allow it recover from the blow dryhmm. The cut, same style as yours, is always amazing, but the blow dry, not so much.

Ariandenotgrande Wed 05-Apr-17 06:58:32

This made me smile as I know exactly what you mean op. It started to happen as I got older and I have to give very specific instructions to the hairdresser (and a photo on phone helps) otherwise I end up looking like a big pony head of bouffant bouncy awfulness. Don't just sit there and hope they will do something normal wink

bionicant Wed 05-Apr-17 07:39:37

mine is always the opposite I can never see on my way home as it's so sleek and looks fab if i keep still grin once the wind hits it i look like Cousin It

ReluctantlyRedundant101 Wed 05-Apr-17 08:11:29

Loling at lego hair that's exactly what it looked like! I showed her a picture so I couldn't have been much more specific. Less Robin Wright more Robert Smith - it must be our age!

elQuintoConyo Wed 05-Apr-17 08:16:13

I always seem to come put of the hairdresser's with a Barnsley fringe sad

TheDowagerCuntess Wed 05-Apr-17 08:19:49

Opposite problem here too - naughties-style poker straight hair. Made flat, so that it's easier to cut presumably.

But my hair isn't flat, so the cut that worked well for flat hair, doesn't sit as well once it's back to it's more regular shape...

Gah81 Wed 05-Apr-17 08:36:34

Ha - I always go into the hairdresser wanting bouffant, but come out sleek!

I've got big curly hair and I like it to be as big as possible (I have quite big features - big eyes, nose, mouth, chin, cheekbones etc.... written like that, I guess it's actually quite an odd face, but I like it grin ) to balance it out. But somehow they always make it look smooth and sleek against my skull (it's also pretty fine, though lots of it)

I have ended up asking for a wet cut and then going and drying it myself at home.

IrenetheQuaint Wed 05-Apr-17 08:39:38

Ha, I well remember the days when I used to come out of the hairdressers and go straight home and stick my head under the tap. These days I am more assertive and watch like a hawk while my hairdresser is finishing up (and I never get a blow dry), but once I let my attention lapse and he started waving the hairdryer underneath my hair - seconds later it looked like a haystack hmm

Whatatododo Wed 05-Apr-17 08:50:30

I get the opposite too. I ask for no straighteners these days as it looks like my hair is stuck to my head all greasy even when I've just had it done. I prefer big and bouncy!

BumbleNova Wed 05-Apr-17 09:20:29

yes - why do they not just blow dry it nicely! arggh. I also get the noughties flat ironed look which I hate. I've lots of very fine, very fair hair though, I suspect its to check they havent missed any bits!

MaroonPencil Wed 05-Apr-17 09:24:40

I have thick hair so it doesn't take much to give me big hair. I always tell them specifically that is not what I want. Do not, I say, give me a bob that looks like a triangle. Usually they listen.

TheTurnOfTheScrew Wed 05-Apr-17 09:29:26

it's The Thing right now
10 years ago I was always straightened to within an inch of my life, regardless of what I'd told the stylist.

Now the conversation goes:
"How are we blowing this today?"
"I prefer it reasonably straight"
"But you want a bit of movement, don't you"
"Just a TINY bit"

<POOOM> Farrah Fawcett hair.

NoParticularPattern Wed 05-Apr-17 09:38:12

I bloody hate it when my hairdresser does this. I remember her once putting all sorts of bloody product and crap into it to make it all but stand on end straight off my head. My hair blow dries well enough without product!

I do wish I could blow dry my own hair like they can though. I usually stick to going to bed with it wet haha!

ReluctantlyRedundant101 Wed 05-Apr-17 13:11:20

Loling at "tiny bit of movement" Turn it sounds like yesterday's buzzword "body" is there nothing in between poker straight & microphone head for us over 40s?! *sigh

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 05-Apr-17 13:24:24

I wish I had hair that could be oomphed up. I dream about big hair.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Wed 05-Apr-17 13:34:14

is there nothing in between poker straight & microphone head for us over 40s?!

I'm mid twenties with hair down to my waist and I can't get them to do anything between the two either, essentially I look like I have greasy fine hair or a rats nest, I've never been able to get a decent blow dry even when my hair was in a bob! (18-19) it certainly isn't an age thing it is a hairdresser thing.

PragmaticWench Wed 05-Apr-17 14:12:48

I've given up having my hair dried at the hairdressers as they all plaster it to my skull even when I've repeatedly said 'please give it some root boost'. I now leave with it wet, I'm not paying any more money for something that looks awful.

Shamoffour Wed 05-Apr-17 14:29:55

I get this every bloody time I go.
She insists on giving me a big bouncy blow dry which puts 10 years on me. It's so not my style I come in with beachy waves, very undone (which I often get compliments on) and come out looking like an American politician.

Botanicbaby Wed 05-Apr-17 14:45:06

Reading this thread has made me thankful I've got the hairdresser I have!

She always asks me how I'd like my hair dried, and I always tell her so I'm happy! smile

Though I'm sure she'd rather be able to dry it in many weird & wonderful ways, I just don't have time or the occasion to warrant it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now