Talk

Advanced search

Smart casual for a work conference

(13 Posts)
turbohamster Tue 04-Apr-17 20:32:24

I'm presenting at a work conference abroad, short talks on three separate days but I don't know what to wear and am probably going to have to purchase some things. It's a fairly laid back industry, people definitely won't be in suits and ties but I think the jeans and trainers I normally wear to work are a bit too far the other way.

All ideas/suggestions appreciated. I'm size 10, 5 foot 4 if that matters

AddToBasket Tue 04-Apr-17 20:36:55

I would go for a blazer, even if I didn't wear it for the actual presentation.

Open neck shirt, cool necklace, 7/8 trousers, and fab flats.

museumum Tue 04-Apr-17 20:39:37

Warm country or cold?
I tend to wear dresses to present - quite relaxed daywear shifts.

AllFurCoatNoKnickera Tue 04-Apr-17 20:48:03

Can't go wrong with shift dresses!

Been with clients today and wore crepe trousers, block strappy sandals, khaki top and a big necklace. That's my standard "smart casual" work look.

turbohamster Tue 04-Apr-17 20:49:31

It's Canada at the beginning of June, and from research weather could go either way.

But for me anything less than 25 degrees means socks/tights and long sleeves.

MaisyPops Tue 04-Apr-17 20:51:01

Tunic, leggings and a blazer would be my standard smart casual outfit.

Or cropped trousers, tank top and blazer.

turbohamster Tue 04-Apr-17 20:54:28

I think it's more likely to be at the casual end of smart casual too, i.e. chinos and polo shirts for men.

Part of the issue is female attendance is likely to be around the 5% mark (it's a male dominated industry) and I need to feel comfortable with what I'm wearing for the confidence boost. I guess the look I'm going for is inconspicuous, I don't really want people to notice what I'm wearing!

2gorgeousboys Tue 04-Apr-17 21:04:03

I also work in a male dominated field (financial services) and I'd go for 7/8 or slim trousers, a nice top, flats and a blazer or smart jeans, heels a blouse or shirt and a blazer. I also have some culottes I'm thinking of wearing for my next smart casual event.

SesameSparkle Tue 04-Apr-17 21:20:06

I also like the idea of smart jeans, shoes instead of trainers and a blouse/shirt, plus jacket you can take off it's too warm - so just a slightly smarter version of yourself. If you're going to be using a mic, then you might also think about whether you've got some sort of pocket and something to clip it too.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 04-Apr-17 21:20:33

I wear what probably is the casual end of smart/casual (often black skinny jeans plus blouse, or dress plus trainers) for work. For a fancy meeting I have coming up in another city this month I am thinking black wide legged cropped trousers, black and white stripy top, and brogues (if it's freezing I'll wear nude fishnets, otherwise bare ankles). Would something like that work? I'm a lecturer so presenting daily, and I always get really, horribly nervous before teaching a new group of students for the first time - if you're of a similar ilk it might be worth factoring in nervous sweating to whatever you pick. (That us probably not relevant but just thought I would throw it in.)

CorporeSarnie Tue 04-Apr-17 21:33:06

If you're going to be in a big convention centre or hotel make sure you layer up, the air con can be freezing in big conference rooms, and horrid to be freezing all day. I usually wear flats so that I can do hours on my feet talking and walking between sessions, trousers and a top with a jacket or dress and tights with a fine knit cardigan or jacket.

turbohamster Tue 04-Apr-17 21:33:56

If it's warm enough, 7/8 type trousers would be ok.

But it has been known before for me to put socks on with my ballet flats after ending up somewhere with the A/C on.

The one thing that will really make me ill at ease is being freezing, so I think that's why I'm struggling, most of the suggestions here I'd only wear at the height of summer. People were walking to work with bare arms today and it made me cold just to look at them!

turbohamster Tue 04-Apr-17 21:36:13

Cross posts CorporeSarnie - convention centres are generally far too cold for my liking, but I'm not sure that wearing winter boots in June is an option. Layers for the top half is easy, but it's my feet I struggle with, I like socks grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now