Talk

Advanced search

Please help me avoid triangle hair!

(20 Posts)
WontLetThoseRobotsDefeatMe Tue 04-Apr-17 20:01:13

Anyone got any tips for a new hairstyle, please?

My hair's just below chin length, very thick and wavy - and thanks to getting a very cheap bob, basically a triangle on my head!!

I've so far tried a side parting, which does slightly lessen the triangle look. BUT - it's all one length and the bottom just sticks out so much! It's alright straightened, but I'm far too lazy to do that every day.

Splashing out on a nice salon tomorrow after work, who've said they're happy to talk through any restyle ideas. Is there a way I can get rid of some of the thickness at the ends of the hair, without having really short chunky layers in (that created lots of mini triangles in the past, like a small frizzy christmas tree atop my head!)?

Gingerbreadmam Tue 04-Apr-17 20:06:33

if you're booked into a really good salon im sure they can sort it out. They can chip into the ends to soften it and thin it out a bit. Might be worth looking at styles for an idea of what you would like?

I just saw a macmillan advert with Frankie Bridge, her bob is lovely short though

Greenvalleymama Tue 04-Apr-17 20:13:55

I too suffer from triangle hair and have finally found the answer, very recently (after spending my whole life looking like a mushroom head). I went to a new hairdresser, who used some thinning scissors to thin my hair. I was really nervous about it, having had too many hairdressers reassure me that what my hair needed was layers to disastrous results, but this really worked!

I do straighten my hair after washing it, every few days, but that's it. I finally have normal-ish hair.

Raines100 Tue 04-Apr-17 20:18:19

Yeah, agree with pp. It needs layers at the bottom to thin it out. If you can be arsed to blow dry it, use a round brush to shape it under your chin.

TwentyCups Tue 04-Apr-17 20:21:45

It will need layers. Once they are in maybe you should grow it out a little - longer bobs are more forgiving for those of us who don't like to style our hair! Or consider going much shorter - layered side parting, shorter st the back. Something that can be waxed into place and not long enough to create the triangle?

RavioliOnToast Tue 04-Apr-17 20:24:32

I disagree with needing layers. I've just grown all mine out to be one length because i hated them. Ask the hairdresser's to use thinning scissors and just to chop into with them. The difference it made on my hair was unbelievable! It's so much more manageable and i don't have loads of random hair lengths

WontLetThoseRobotsDefeatMe Tue 04-Apr-17 22:32:11

Ooh lots of ideas, thanks. I've saved a few pics on my phone to see what they think is doable....

ZaziesPaws Wed 05-Apr-17 07:15:49

Ask for point cutting.

Cakescakescakes Wed 05-Apr-17 07:43:03

I agree you need the hairdresser to point cut into the ends. This is what I have done and I have a bob too. It's where they hold the scissors vertically and sort of chip into the ends to take a lot of the weight out and allow the hair to turn in etc. Thinning scissors left me with lots of fluffy ends as it leaves hair at all different lengths. Point cutting will tackle the triangle effect and any decent hairdresser should be able to do this no problem so the ends are less bulky.

DaisyChainsForever Wed 05-Apr-17 12:37:01

Have u thought of an undercut? it has made a huge difference to my thick wavy hair.

DragonNoodleCake Wed 05-Apr-17 14:02:37

I have thick hair and a bob, my stylist is awesome, he point cuts and thins and I have an under cut. The layers are simply part of the shaping.
It's a combination of these that keeps my hair in a good shape. Honestly when it's done you'd be amazed how much hair is on the floor.
It gets done every 5 to 6 weeks and there is a lot to come off every time + it grows between 1 and 2cm in that time too.

Ollivander84 Wed 05-Apr-17 14:13:16

I have v thick curly hair and have an inverted bob with layers that works well

WontLetThoseRobotsDefeatMe Wed 05-Apr-17 18:22:29

Wow, thanks for all your advice. Fortifying glass of wine and then I'm in!

dailystuck71 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:28:13

Undercut complete changed my hair. Love it.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 05-Apr-17 18:30:38

Point cutting is an art and can look amazing but you need a stylist who has been trained in this technique. It's vital that they look at your hair dry first to see your natural curl pattern. Don't let them whisk you off to have it washed until the person cutting your hair has looked at it in its natural state.
Good luck, after pics if you're brave..

WontLetThoseRobotsDefeatMe Wed 05-Apr-17 21:52:48

Before.....

WontLetThoseRobotsDefeatMe Wed 05-Apr-17 21:56:49

After! Very very pleased, thanks for all your advice. Got a long side fringe, disconnected layers at the back, whole bunch of thinning scissory stuff. AND even better, he showed me a bunch of shortcuts for embracing the curl!

ophiotaurus Wed 05-Apr-17 22:05:02

That's really nice!

IAmNotAUserNumber Wed 05-Apr-17 22:33:14

That's really nice (I think I have the before haircut blush ) but a little tip for you - go a bit easier on the lipstick and green eyeshadow in future?

WontLetThoseRobotsDefeatMe Thu 06-Apr-17 20:35:10

Ah crap, maybe I need to repost for makeup tips!

I loved the idea of the first haircut, but it just didn't work in practice. As the lovely hairdresser said yesterday, my hair has a mind of its own so embrace the curl! I have felt a million dollars today - and popped in to see my hospital bound dad who noticed the hair too, so it must be a dramatic improvement!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now