Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What are your specs like?

(16 Posts)
clapintime Tue 04-Apr-17 15:35:54

I'm in desperate need and have got an eye test booked.
Looking for stylish rather than very trendy because I'll use the same pair for a couple of years.
I'm middle aged with an oval face.
Are those dark chunky frames still in?

ZaraW Tue 04-Apr-17 18:51:02

I still wear my thick frames but just bought Prideaux frames from Cubits.co.uk really well made glasses, great designs and affordable.

YouWereRight Tue 04-Apr-17 19:06:29

Mine are fairly fine, round plastic in a tortoise shell colour. I have no idea how in they are, but I think they suit me.

Tequilamockinbird Tue 04-Apr-17 19:14:03

I've got thickish black framed Tiffany ones.

Love them! but I'll be paying for them until I retire

toffeeboffin Tue 04-Apr-17 19:18:13

I've got rectangular ones with no frame. Like them.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 04-Apr-17 19:22:15

Toirtoishell cat's eyes. I really only wear them in the house - contacts the rest of the time - so they were fairly cheap from Specsavers.

2017SoFarSoGood Tue 04-Apr-17 19:23:05

am wearing www.tomford.com/metal-slight-cateye/FT5374.html?cgid=2-57-554&dwvar_FT5374_color=001#prefn1=productType&prefv1=CAT-EYE&start=2 right now and loving them. Got a lot of compliments to date.

sorry. Crap at links.

clapintime Tue 04-Apr-17 19:29:48

Thanks you. I love the Prideaux and the Tom Fords.
You all have great taste.

pinkskyatnight Tue 04-Apr-17 19:30:35

I have recently started wearing glasses after 10
Years glasses free due to laser eye surgery.

I was adamant I was not getting plastic frames that the world and his wife seem to be wearing. But I ended up with one pair metal and one plastic rectangle shape as they are the only shape that suit me. Out of both pairs I actually love my plastic purple rectangle frames. So light, and comfy and they suit me so well not one person noticed I was wearing glasses after all these years.

I asked a few people if they looked shit incase that's why not one person commented and they said they thought I'd always worn them

Floisme Tue 04-Apr-17 19:45:50

Mine are grey plastic cats eye frames from Cutler and Gross (sorry - can't link at the moment). I had to pawn my eyeballs to pay for them but hey, I'm worth it.

There are still lots of chunky frames around but I've noticed a few hip young things are back in round, metal John Lennon frames (or Harry Potter, depending on your age) so I think the trend is probably starting to swing back. But it always takes a few years to take effect.

I think oval shaped faces are supposed to suit pretty much anything!

turbohamster Tue 04-Apr-17 19:54:02

Just broke my current pair which I loved and struggled to find something similar. Had to compromise on the colour in the end - going for blue instead of black.

turbohamster Tue 04-Apr-17 19:56:04

I'm still looking for a 'perfect' pair mind, these are a make do pair until I find something better

TomaytoTomahto Tue 04-Apr-17 20:00:19

These are mine! I used to wear the thick black plastic ones but I felt it made me look too harsh.

StinkyMcgrinky Tue 04-Apr-17 20:08:47

I'm currently wearing www.visionexpress.com/glasses/ralph/10106804/?page=2/12/now-price/asc but am collecting these on Saturday. grin

OCSockOrphanage Tue 04-Apr-17 20:11:53

If I were minted, and I am not (nor do I really need to change my frames at the moment) I'd be picking the bright emerald Tom Davies ones. However, as the lenses will cost a princess's ransom before buying the frames, I shall wait <sits on hands>. I just tried to find 'mine' to link, and they have vanished!

ImNotReallyAWaitress Wed 05-Apr-17 00:12:01

I have 3 pairs; 2 'normal' and 1 pair of sunglasses. Stuck with acetate frames as I feel like metal frames look silly on me.

www.pretavoir.co.uk/ray-ban-new-wayfarer-optical-rb-5184-5583.html

www.pretavoir.co.uk/ray-ban-5184-2012.html

These ones are the sunglasses
www.eyewearbrands.com/designer-glasses/miu-miu/miu-miu-mu06ov/miu-miu-mu06ov-1ab1o1-black/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: