Talk

Advanced search

Help me, I'm clueless!

(7 Posts)
GinSolvesEverything Tue 04-Apr-17 10:03:44

I have zero fashion nous. I don't like shopping (sacrilegious I know), and I always struggle to find clothes that fit me.

I'm 5 foot 3, about a size 12-14, and am not blessed with skinny legs (or much else).

I've got a couple of days alone in London coming up and plan to buy a new work wardrobe. I need direction for best places to shop! I don't live in the U.K. so am clueless aside from the usual top shop etc.

Work is smart casual. Jeans and nice tops are fine. I like dresses, but they need to be fitted / drawn in at the waist. Nothing high necked or wide shouldered. Zara clothes are awful on me.

HELP!!!

mrsmortis Tue 04-Apr-17 10:16:39

I'd suggest you book a personal shopper appointment at which ever of the big department stores you feel most affinity for. I'd suggest John Lewis. They have a range of options available and if they are good you'll get suggestions that you wouldn't normally have considered trying on.

I'd also highly recommend a visit to Rigby and Peller. There is nothing like a good well fitted bra to make you comfortable with how you look.

bexy229 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:27:27

H&M is great for nice work wear and good quality too. Debenhams is a good choice aswell!

GinSolvesEverything Tue 04-Apr-17 11:26:31

Bras I'm good with. Have my size sorted (properly mumsnet style).

H&M is hit and miss. Good for basics, but I think I'd like to get a few classic pieces as well.

I've looked at doing a personal shopper session, but I can't guarantee my dates until the last minute. They also seem to be crazy expensive too. One I found at Westfield was close to £300 for a session. The wardrobe edit is useless anyway as I don't live here.

MorelloKisses Tue 04-Apr-17 11:59:09

John Lewis, House of Fraser and Debenhams personal shopper is free with no obligation to buy

mrsmortis Tue 04-Apr-17 17:17:20

www.johnlewis.com/our-services/fashion-advice-service
www.debenhams.com/content/personal-shopper

Most of the stores do it for free. I think even Harrods and Selfridges are free (though they may expect you to have the ability to spend more than you are comfortable with).

GinSolvesEverything Tue 04-Apr-17 18:57:17

Oh that sounds fab, I didn't consider house.

Definitely an option - thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now