Talk

Advanced search

It's to bridal isn't it

(23 Posts)
Racheyg Tue 04-Apr-17 08:44:08

Morning guys,

Have a few weddings coming up (different people attending) and what to buy a new dress. I love the needle and thread style dresses and found this on eBay but I think it's too bridal (and yes it was in the dridal range) but is so stunning

Semaphorically Tue 04-Apr-17 08:45:01

It's lovely but yes, too bridal to wear to a wedding as a guest.

Rioja123 Tue 04-Apr-17 08:45:54

I think it would be fine if the background colour of the dress wasn't cream! It does look bridal yes. And generally I think if you have to ask then it isn't appropriate.

Racheyg Tue 04-Apr-17 08:48:21

Darn I thought so.

I am getting married next year, but I'm hoping to lose a few pounds before then grin

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 04-Apr-17 08:54:50

Here's a hint.
Only wear a dress from a Bridal range if you're actually the bride.

Remember the thread where future MIL bought a full length white dress to wear at her son's wedding? I wonder how that marriage is going?

Namechangearoo Tue 04-Apr-17 09:01:38

Sorry, yes - I'd be a bit miffed if someone had worn this to my wedding!
(Not least because I changed from my "big" wedding dress to one similar to this for the ceilidh!)

Nannplum666 Tue 04-Apr-17 09:03:47

think the general rule is you don't wear white or cream for weddings (unless there is a colourful pattern on it)

wizzywig Tue 04-Apr-17 09:05:21

Gorgeous dress though

HelsinkiLights Tue 04-Apr-17 09:14:26

It wouldn't bother me as long as you wore it with bright accessories such as hot pink shoes/hat etc or even black or navy accessories.
But as you sound unsure then I would suggest not buying/wearing it.

ScarletForYa Tue 04-Apr-17 09:17:02

Yea, it's too bridal. Lovely tho!

Rockaby Tue 04-Apr-17 09:32:55

Yes, of course it's too bridal. It's from the bridal range smile!

I'd actually also say that's too short (and a little see through?) for a wedding. Unless you are very petite (or the model is very tall).

Pinkgeek Tue 04-Apr-17 09:36:15

My MIL wore a full length ivory dress from a bridal range to my wedding. I've never forgiven her and we now don't speak. I'm still married though, wasn't poor DHs fault! I would strongly advise against this dress personally. Gorgeous though!

ChicRock Tue 04-Apr-17 09:40:44

These type of threads baffle me.

Surely if you have to ask, then it's a no?

Out of all of the colours in the world I can never understand why anyone would choose white/cream/ivory for a wedding unless they're the bride.

Racheyg Tue 04-Apr-17 09:47:14

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I just think it's so pretty and I obviously would dream of trying to ruin my good friends wedding this thread was more of a tongue in cheek confirmation of what I knew.

MiddleClassProblem Tue 04-Apr-17 09:51:49

It's lovely though. Maybe get for holiday or the summer if you can afford it?

allegretto Tue 04-Apr-17 09:55:44

I think it might be ok but if you know the bride well I would ask her first. A guest wore a long, white dress to my wedding and had lots of photos taken with her boyfriend in frint of the church- think she was trying to fake her own!

Rockaby Tue 04-Apr-17 10:04:26

Jesus, some of the stories here about MILs and "friends" are mad! Having pics taken in front of the church? That's pretty out there!

I do remember a friend's wedding where a female guest asked the bride what the bridesmaids would be wearing, turned up in a very similar dress and hung around waiting to be asked into the photos. It was really strange. Don't do that now will you OP wink?

mrsmortis Tue 04-Apr-17 10:12:31

Personally I think it would be OK if you wore a jacket over it. But then you'd be in a position where you couldn't take the jacket off.

Could you find something similar in a different colour? I think it'd be fine in dove grey or a dusky pink for example.

Racheyg Tue 04-Apr-17 11:09:59

Hahaha no I'm not some kind of crazed wedding guest. wink

I'm really good friends with them so I could ask.

What I am going to do is shop around for a different colour. I still might buy it for my own grin

Pomegranatepompom Tue 04-Apr-17 14:53:13

Lovely dress. If you wore a bright wrap, clutch and shoes, it would look less bridal.
It's a gorgeous dress and you should definitely buy it.

minipie Tue 04-Apr-17 15:09:03

Gosh, I'm clearly in the minority but I don't think it looks bridal at all.

Mind you all the brides I've known have worn full length dresses so perhaps that's why.

If it's a very traditional wedding and the bride will be wearing a big white meringue (and keeping it on for the evening too) then I think you are safe. If there is any chance she will be wearing something like this at any point - avoid.

alltouchedout Tue 04-Apr-17 15:09:35

I have never seen a bride wear anything remotely like that. It doesn't even hint 'bridal' to me.
That said, if you're concerned, you won't enjoy wearing it, so don't!

Rioja123 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:08:00

I've been to weddings where the bride has got changed into something really similar for the evening dancing so that's why I'd avoid it. Doesn't matter it's not a traditional wedding dress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now