Talk

Advanced search

Do you wash your hair everyday ? And do you find doing that ruins it ?

(52 Posts)
LardLizard Mon 03-Apr-17 19:45:05

I really could do with washing mine daily as I feel so much better for it

Tend to do it every other for fear of wracking it

Vegansnake Mon 03-Apr-17 19:48:00

I get scabs on my scalp if I don't wash it every day..I've very long hair,so I assume it gets sweaty under there..I just use plenty of conditioning and no products or hair dryer

ShelaghTurner Mon 03-Apr-17 19:57:41

Yes and yes. But I'm trapped in the cycle

nigelforgotthepassword Mon 03-Apr-17 19:59:16

If I don't wash mine daily it's unmanageable. It doesn't do it any harm.
If you are worried could you do every other day con -washing (just rinsing through with Conditioner) and see how you go?

Maverick66 Mon 03-Apr-17 20:05:42

I wash mine every day and have done so 30 years.
It hasn't damaged it as such. But if I don't wash it every day I don't feel 'clean' or 'groomed' .

FurryTurnip Mon 03-Apr-17 20:09:36

I wash mine daily, often twice, if I go for a run or something. It hasn't caused any damage, but it's quite short hair so I don't use a hair dryer or straighteners or anything that could damage it. If I don't wash it I feel really manky.

GinAndOnIt Mon 03-Apr-17 20:11:38

I used to wash mine every other day, and it was always so dry and frizzy. I do it once a week now and it's much more manageable. Terrible on day one, though. I think it really depends on hair type.

PotatoesPastaAndBread Mon 03-Apr-17 20:13:28

I wash, condition and blow dry mine EVERY DAY

😱

It's really short though. Cut it all off and grow it again regularly!

yummycake123 Mon 03-Apr-17 20:15:44

I wash it every day. If I don't my scalp gets really itchy and greasy, I can't stand it.
I've tried washing it every other day, but I don't like how it feels. I wish I could go longer without washing it, I think it's making my hair drier.

mummabearfoyrbabybears Mon 03-Apr-17 20:17:09

I have very dry, curly hair and used to wash it every day until I noticed that when I didn't it was so much better. Fast forward 20 years and I wash it twice a week and it's much softer, shinier and more manageable smile

pianomadness Mon 03-Apr-17 20:17:11

I wash and blow dry/straighten every day. It's pretty short though and very quick to do. My hair is so much nicer if I've washed it in the morning, smooth, shiny and tidy. If I don't it becomes frizzy and icky.

MollyHuaCha Mon 03-Apr-17 20:17:51

I thrash around a lot at night and each morning I look like I've been dragged through a bush. So I have to wash my hair daily in order to style it.

carrie74 Mon 03-Apr-17 20:18:51

I used to, as my hair would get really greasy. I've noticed in the last couple of years though that my hair doesn't get greasy as quickly, so I try to wash every other day (helps eke out the colour too). I have quite a bit of (covered) grey, so presume this has changed the texture of my hair.

MrsJamin Mon 03-Apr-17 20:20:42

It's not great for hair to be washed every day TBH. I wash mine once a week, have done for 25 years! I have dry thick hair and only just gets a little greasy underneath on day 7.

fiorentina Mon 03-Apr-17 20:21:48

I do. I hate commuting into town and the grime on the train/tube.
Not sure it really helps long term but I love clean hair and it is still shiny and in good condition.

MaryCrawley Mon 03-Apr-17 20:21:52

I wash mine daily, I'm an oil slick otherwise. I've tried going longer, but I just get asked if I'm ill, I look so ropey.

I let it dry naturally when I'm not in work which I tell myself help keeps it from being ruined!

GreenPeppers Mon 03-Apr-17 20:25:17

No I don't, I wash it every two or three days.

BUT it took me a long time to find the right shampoo for me, one that cleaned my hair, didn't leave it feeling heavy and didn't make it greasy so quickly.
I now also don't feel that I need to do it because it feels 'right' whereas before itnalways felt a bit 'dirty and greasy/itchy' even after one day.

Sylvannas Mon 03-Apr-17 20:28:32

Every 2-3 days. I have fine hair which gets greasy easily so dry shampoo is my best hair friend smile I love the Dove one but I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore. Maybe they've stopped making it sad

VivienneEastwood Mon 03-Apr-17 20:30:38

Another daily washer here! I don't mind & my hair looks great. I've done the every other day thing for a few months a couple of years ago & my hair was no better or worse but I didn't feel clean.

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 03-Apr-17 20:30:53

Another daily washer - and blow-dry and straightener. Mine is a short, blunt bob and I wake up looking like I'd scare children with it at all angles.

CherylVole Mon 03-Apr-17 20:31:31

yes every day
and no

NinaMarieP Mon 03-Apr-17 20:32:03

I have thick and unmanageably frizzy /wavy hair which takes ages to wash, dry and straighten. I wash it about twice a week as I can't really go more than four days without it becoming too greasy.

I reverse wash though - condition first and then shampoo and find that means less need for dry shampoo on day 3/4.

Eolian Mon 03-Apr-17 20:32:38

Another one here with fine hair that gets greasy after 24 hours. I only use dry shampoo in an emergency - it really doesn't work that well on my hair.

As for the question of whether washing it every day ruins it - no, it makes it look better, which is why I do it!

MrsGsnow18 Mon 03-Apr-17 20:36:44

I have very thin limp hair, it looks much better freshly washed each morning and I feel much cleaner when it's washed that day. However I do try my best not to wash every single day, so maybe 2 days a week I will go to work with 2nd day hair (usually tied back)
It is supposed to be that washing too often strips your hair of its natural oils, but I'd say the more damaging thing would be blow drying/ straightening everyday.

BoboChic Mon 03-Apr-17 20:37:45

I wash my hair every day and have done so for 35 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now