Talk

Advanced search

How does your hair turn grey?

(25 Posts)
deaddeadgood Sun 02-Apr-17 11:23:42

Does anyone know?
Does it grow out of the root or can existing long hairs turn grey? Or both?
I've just seemed to have gone grey overnight. Finding long grey hairs as well as sprouting ones.
Is it stress related?

ShatnersBassoon Sun 02-Apr-17 11:27:37

You stop producing the pigment that colours it as it grows when you get older. The hairs that are already coloured can't become grey.

Stress can't turn your hair grey.

ShatnersBassoon Sun 02-Apr-17 11:29:14

I should have said that they start to grow white when the pigment is missing, not grey. The overall appearance is grey when the white hair is among your ordinary coloured hair.

deaddeadgood Sun 02-Apr-17 11:29:38

Ok thanks! Just coincidence then. Another shitty thing to deal with!

ShatnersBassoon Sun 02-Apr-17 11:31:26

Meh, it's not that shitty in the grand scheme of things. Just something different to get used to.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sun 02-Apr-17 11:32:05

Being married. .
And having dc. .

Destinysdaughter Sun 02-Apr-17 12:16:08

One advantage ( to me ) is that it's much better to go blonde as the regrowth is much less noticeable. So I've gone from being a brunette to being the blonde I always wanted to be! halo

deaddeadgood Sun 02-Apr-17 15:05:55

I have a (if I say so myself) ahem, lovely natural hair colour so have never dyed it. It's just wanky that I'll have to start doing that now

thismeansnothing Sun 02-Apr-17 15:20:57

By paying the hairdresser to dye it that colour.

I bloody love my grey hair!

deaddeadgood Sun 02-Apr-17 15:37:27

So to understand this, the really, really long ones have always been there and been that colour I've just never noticed them?

NeonGod73 Sun 02-Apr-17 15:39:26

I think it is some kind of mineral or vitamin deficiency. Stress eats these up so you start running low on them and turn grey.

deaddeadgood Sun 02-Apr-17 15:50:58

That would make sense as I have been Stressed. To. Fuck. for a while now as we have been dealing with an extremely sick baby for a few months. Healthy eating and normal life has gone out of the window. Fully expecting to age 10 years in the face too. Think colleagues will be shocked when I go back after my mat leave.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Sun 02-Apr-17 15:54:46

I have a (if I say so myself) ahem, lovely natural hair colour so have never dyed it. It's just wanky that I'll have to start doing that now

You don't have to.

deaddeadgood Sun 02-Apr-17 15:57:44

I think I do. Personally. I want to hold onto some vestige of normality with everything else that's going on.
I always used to think I'd grey gracefully but I need to hold on to me at the moment when everything else is going to shit.
Fully understand the other POV though as I used to think that too.
Life changes.

FoostyFandang Sun 02-Apr-17 16:01:13

I had two white hairs which had gone brown again at the root, only spotted this when I yanked them out. When I measured the hair, the colour seemed to restart at the time I really upped vitamins....biotin, niacin, vitamin c

Goldfishjane Sun 02-Apr-17 16:03:35

you can have sudden grey due to stress yes - hope nothing awful has happened?

I was in accident and lost a lot of hair (fell out due to stress) but it grew back. Now I'm wondering, if your hair turns grey due to stress of something, will it start growing not-grey again...?

Goldfishjane Sun 02-Apr-17 16:04:57

ooh cross post with Fendang - so maybe a stress hair colour change would correct itself? I mean, if vitamins can reverse it, then perhaps if the stressful incident is over, the body goes back to normal, the hair could go back to normal?

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Sun 02-Apr-17 16:11:00

Obviously if you want to dye then absolutely you should do what you want, I just meant you shouldn't feel it is expected of you.

HughLauriesStubble Sun 02-Apr-17 16:15:12

I've noticed my hair has started to go awfully grey since having kids and I was wondering if there was some connection. I'm only 31 and I already have a few very noticeable streaks sad

deaddeadgood Sun 02-Apr-17 16:57:43

That would be great goldfish but think the stress is going to go on for a while

Goldfishjane Sun 02-Apr-17 18:31:08

OP sorry to hear that.

FoostyFandang Sun 02-Apr-17 18:49:32

to be honest, im not v grey at all..i kept the hairs to post on here, then lost them, they genuinley did go back to normal.

that said, im still getting overall greyer.

dont pull them out guys, you just end up with a pubey halo afer a few months

deaddeadgood Sun 02-Apr-17 18:59:50

Excellent. A pubey halo effect!! Nice!

TheHiphopopotamus Sun 02-Apr-17 19:30:13

I found my first grey hair when I was 19. 19!

I think mine was down to genetics. My mother went grey at an early age. The grey ones seem to have a different texture to the normal ones as I'd love to go all over grey but I think it would look wiry. Kind of a female Einstein look (along with the moustache that getting older seems to bring confused Good times hmm).

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Sun 02-Apr-17 20:43:48

The grey ones seem to have a different texture to the normal ones as I'd love to go all over grey but I think it would look wiry.

This confuses me, surely when they are dyed the texture doesn't change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now