Talk

Advanced search

Sandals like Saltwater but not Saltwater

(64 Posts)
Hysterectomyhysteria Sun 02-Apr-17 09:37:04

I am looking for sandals that have Saltwater uppers but proper comfortable soles. Do these exist????

totallyliterally Sun 02-Apr-17 09:44:36

Birkenstocks!

They have loads of different styles and colours but not the really bad for your back flat soles.

hangingkebab Sun 02-Apr-17 11:53:52

Are Saltwater uncomfortable?! I've been eyeing them up for summer sad

Hysterectomyhysteria Sun 02-Apr-17 12:02:26

They certainly look uncomfortable. I don't want shoes with soles so slim I can feel stones etc through. I would also like some cushioning - do birkies have a bit of cushioning?

herecomesthsun Sun 02-Apr-17 12:50:12

I just got some Pikolinos, they have very comfy, thick, soft soles with a leather-covered small wedge. Not exactly Saltwater uppers though.

Hotter, dare I say it, have some Birk-a-like sandals and may well be even comfier.

JaniceBattersby Sun 02-Apr-17 13:43:10

I absolutely love my birkies. They have loads of cushioning. They take a bit of getting used to as the sole is moulded but I live in them for most of the summer. I'm prepared to put up with their vague air of ugliness for comfort!

LBOCS2 Sun 02-Apr-17 13:44:49

Wash your mouth out Janice, my Birkenstocks are beautiful!

Yes. Birkenstocks. Take a little bit of adjustment - I find my feet ache a little after wearing them the first couple of days - but they're unbelievably comfortable after that.

Giraffeski Sun 02-Apr-17 13:45:39

I actually find my Saltwaters very comfy!

JaniceBattersby Sun 02-Apr-17 13:51:17

I know LBOCS2. Sometimes I look at my Birkies and really like how they look and sometimes, well, they repulse me. I think it's because I have memories of my mum in the 1980s wearing the ugliest Scholl sandals in the world, which I think were a forerunner to modern-day birkies.

Still, I wear them every day with every outfit I own because they're easy to put on (I'm usually holding a small child) and you can walk miles in them.

JDSTER Sun 02-Apr-17 13:58:59

I got saltwaters last year for the first time amd find them comfortable but I haven't worn them all day so I'm not sure how they'd fare. I do have an orange pair of Birkenstocks which I've had for years and love grin not helpful to OP

Grumpbum Sun 02-Apr-17 14:01:27

I wore my saltwaters all summer, trekking around places like legoland and new forest I find them really comfy!

DoorKnee Sun 02-Apr-17 14:11:21

I've got saltwaters and birkenstocks and find the saltwaters more comfy. It's a close call though.

Firstaidnovice Sun 02-Apr-17 14:14:22

Yep, i was sceptical about how comfortable saltwaters would be, given the thinness of the sole, but i can wear them all day and they are very comfortable. And they are incredibly hard wearing too, I've had mine three years, this is the fourth summer, and I'm only just considering getting more, mainly because i want a different colour.

teawamutu Sun 02-Apr-17 14:58:15

Last year Clark's did something v similar with a nice bouncy sole, Tucson something? Might be worth checking to see if they're doing them this year too.

Mn told me they were frumpier than Saltwaters but I held firmgrin

Teabagtits Sun 02-Apr-17 15:05:45

What about Art or Doc Martens?

teawamutu Sun 02-Apr-17 15:23:24

Tustin, not Tucson. Here: www.amazon.co.uk/d/Womens-Shoes/Clarks-26117473-Tustin-Sahara-Ankle-Strap-Sandals/B015ZNAI8K?tag=mumsnetforum-21

They look much nicer on because you can't see the sole.

Fairylea Sun 02-Apr-17 16:14:10

Toms do a version of the saltwater sandal. Might be worth a google.

motmot Sun 02-Apr-17 19:28:20

I find my Saltwater sandals very comfortable and have walked miles and miles in them. They're also extremely well made and sturdy. The only thing I'd criticise is the lack of any tread at all on the sole, which makes them pretty slippy on, say, a grassy slope.

Other than that I love them and wish I should could justify another pair...

WelshMoth Sun 02-Apr-17 19:31:09

Can you attach a pic of these salt waters? I love my Birkies though...6 years old and going strong.

Hysterectomyhysteria Sun 02-Apr-17 19:34:19

These are Saltwater sandals. I think that the sole looks uncomfortable but I love the upper, whatever the colour.

Helenluvsrob Sun 02-Apr-17 19:39:36

The sole is flat with no padding / support at all. Ok for kids feet I guess but my old feet object and delicate thing that I am the raised stitching would also bother me. I wear fit flops. P

ihearttc Sun 02-Apr-17 19:41:11

I have 2 pairs of Saltwaters and I have worn them solidly for 2 summers and they are honestly the most comfortable shoes/sandals I have ever worn.

I have them in navy and tan but really want those rose gold ones!

Hysterectomyhysteria Sun 02-Apr-17 19:44:05

So those who wear them do you not feel every lump and bump underfoot??

cuirderussie Sun 02-Apr-17 19:59:43

No. They're just really comfy. More than they look. I've three pairs heading into their third summer now, good as new. Yellow, red and silver. Love them so much!

totallyliterally Sun 02-Apr-17 20:10:23

Birkenstocks do a similar style to salt waters if you need arch support

https://www.jellyegg.com/kids-babies-c16/kids-sandals-c78/birkenstock-youth-rio-silver-birko-flor-731483-youth-birki-sandal-p7480

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now