Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

SPF for super sensitive/reactive skin

(3 Posts)
bingohandjob Sun 02-Apr-17 07:44:10

Help. I've spent a small fortune over the years on face and body sunscreens and just can't find any that don't give me a reaction (I break out in itchy, uncomfortable heat rash like red itchy raised bumps/hives on body and face and area under my eyes swell) when exposed to the sun. I've used separate face and body, face on body and tested small patch of body SPF on face etc. I've tried pretty much every high street brand from Boots, Superdrug, Neals Yard. On holiday I cover up, wear hat, glasses and long sleeved rash vest when swimming. I'm pale, blonde and have freckles. Consequently, my skin is in pretty good nick because I have to mainly physically dodge the sun but a sunscreen I could actually use would be my holy grail...

Any recommendations?

Cakescakescakes Sun 02-Apr-17 07:52:50

Ultrasun. I get prickly heat, have eczema etc and no problems with it. We use the family 30 version.

browneyesblue Sun 02-Apr-17 08:15:38

You should use a mineral sunscreen rather than a chemical sunscreen. Mineral sunscreens (green people ones get good reviews) create a physical barrier to the sun, but are not absorbed by the skin. This means they don't react with your skin in the same way as the more commonly found chemical sunscreens, which work by using chemical filters which are absorbed into the skin.

Mineral sunscreens do have a tendency to be a bit white, so it may take a bit of research to find one that you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now