Talk

Advanced search

clothes obsession

(9 Posts)
agnes158 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:01:53

Anyone else a bit obsessed with clothes? I feel like it might even be getting out of hand tbh. I really enjoy having my own style and feel like a more confident version of myself when im wearing the 'right' thing (ie a quirky style). but it means i spend too much and i think i need to cut down :/ i also work in a shop where i have to buy the clothes for uniform which doesn't help- and they're not even my style. anyone else in a similar boat?

Trustyourself2 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:17:20

I love clothes. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed. I find that if I stay away from the shops for a while, difficult for you, the need to buy wanes a little. The last thing I bought was a spring jacket about 3 wks ago. I nearly bought a pair of shoes today, but I managed to resist - doesn't mean I'm not still thinking about them though!

I also find that if I do some window shopping online, it helps to calm things.

highinthesky Sat 01-Apr-17 21:27:39

I think it might be age-related.

It was v important to me in my 20s and 30s but much less so now. I've got cupboards stuffed full of lovely clothes that I haven't worn for 2 years or more now.

passtheharibo Sat 01-Apr-17 21:30:17

Have a look at recoveringshopaholic blog. She speaks sense! The main thing I do to curb my spending is putting a pause between identifying something I must have and buying it. Add something to an online basket and wait 24 hours. Or if in a shop, walk away. Come back the next day if you still want it. Often the need dissipates.

TheFirstMrsDV Sat 01-Apr-17 21:37:22

I have been this way all of my adult life. Even longer but I didn't have money to buy clothes until I was working.
First pay cheque went on a leather jacket and I have been the same since.
Once I had responsibilities (DCs) I would always see to the bills, food, kids etc first but even when I was utterly skint I would go to jumble sales so I could still buy clothes.

I must have at least 200 dresses. They are my main weakness but I have tons of every other sort of clothing as well.

Its never put me into debt, I am a bit stuffed but my house doesn't resemble a hoarder's so although I know I shouldn't buy anything more.....I do.

I always adjust according to income but that doesn't mean I haven't wasted £££££££ over the years.

I.just.love.clothes.

JaceLancs Sat 01-Apr-17 23:28:46

I always buy - too many times I've gone back for something and it's gone
However I do then consider my purchases carefully - I would say 70% probably ends up going back
It's my way of managing my addiction to clothes and shopping

ElspethFlashman Sat 01-Apr-17 23:35:12

I've learnt to become a window shopper. Which in the age of t'Internet means a Wishlist shopper. I make ASOS Wishlist every week and enjoy adding and deleting and trawling for glorious things.

Never buy any of 'em.

It makes you sit on things before buying. No harm. And after a few days you may not be so obsessed anymore. But you still get all the fun of choosing.

I love my Wishlist. It's so beautiful.

OldJoseph Sun 02-Apr-17 08:10:52

I've become more like this as I've aged....it's the internet's fault. Before online shopping I could rarely buy anything that I liked / fitted and was within budget.

These days it's so much easier with % off days and access to so many more shops than the small towns I was used to. Plus supermarkets sell clothes now as well. I'm strick with returns and never keep anything unless I'm convinced I'll wear it.

If you are worried for any reason then virtual shop and make lists of things you'd like. Also find a way to track what you wear, so that you are sure there's a decent price per wear.

dinosaursandtea Sun 02-Apr-17 10:57:34

I LOVE clothes. As a freelancer, I'm also frequently skint (curse you, clients who don't pay on time!) I make Pinterest boards religiously and go back to them to see what I still really want and what was a phase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now