Talk

Advanced search

Comfortable non-fugly shoes, do they exist?

(35 Posts)
ShyOyster Sat 01-Apr-17 20:46:48

This may have been done to death but I still haven't found THE perfect pair.
Something happened to my feet during pregnancy. I went from size 7 to quite a wide 8 and just can't bear anything uncomfortable.
I need a pair of black flat shoes (or nearly flat) and if possible - a pair of brown/nude ones too. Something I can wear with skinny jeans and casual skirts and that won't hurt my feet like stupid ballet pumps. So arch support and decent sole are very welcome.
Please can you help?
I'm prepared to spend money. I just need THE shoes.

agnes158 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:03:25

dr martens! they loads of different styles, they're comfy and always cool

Euphemia Sat 01-Apr-17 21:03:32

Clarks.

Also Clarks.

Ecco.

I have these Ecco ones in black and I love them! Not narrow either.

Euphemia Sat 01-Apr-17 21:08:44

El Naturalista.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 01-Apr-17 21:09:12

I wear plain black Skechers for work. They are so comfortable, and also ok for wide feet. I'll try to find the link online.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 01-Apr-17 21:10:40

Mine are similar to this but plainer and with a less chunky, all black sole.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 01-Apr-17 21:11:05

ink{https://goo.gl/images/77XlMngoo.gl/images/77XlMn }

highinthesky Sat 01-Apr-17 21:13:50

I'm another size 8 and decided to put comfort first many years ago.

I'd agree, Clarks, Sketchers, M&S....and strangely BHS (RIP) are the only ones I can wear!

MeadowHay Sat 01-Apr-17 22:13:05

For work I wear patent black brogues from Clarks, I got them in a sale so they were a great deal and they're really comfy. Clarks do a lot of good stuff that is super comfy and they do a wide fit range too.

ShyOyster Sat 01-Apr-17 22:15:37

Thank you for all the great ideas. I shall start online shopping now!

TheBogQueen Sat 01-Apr-17 22:17:21

I find M&S heels are great for work - v comfy and cushioned.

Otherwise - black trainers

ShyOyster Sat 01-Apr-17 22:17:22

Euphemia I really like the El Naturalista ones, are they quite wide? I don't want my fat feet to be overflowing on the sides grin

Waterlemon Sat 01-Apr-17 22:33:59

My work colleague has hip displacia, and is under OT and physio. She was advised to completly avoid the soft, hotter/Ecco style shoes.

They recommended harder soled shoes, with a closure/fastening rather than slip ons and a slight heel, not completly flat. Ballet pumps are the absolute worst style from their orthopaedic point of view.

Pregnancy has left me with no arches and very flat feet, and planter facilitis so I struggle to find comfy shoes, so I have also been following her advice.

I love my clarks hamble brogues, I have 3 pairs now (2bought in the sale) and I also have a couple of pairs of shoes from shoon. I find I struggle with sandles/flip flops that are not completly flat soled, but shoon will usually have something comfy. They are expensive but good quality so will last, plus I think it's false economy to spend on cheaper shoes that don't fit as well.

I don't wear heels very often, but all of mine are from M&S. They do a wider fitting although I usually find their standard fine.

ive also tried the over the counter insoles, but they made all my shoes too shallow.

ShyOyster Sat 01-Apr-17 22:39:41

No arches and flat feet. That is a perfect description of my feet too! I've never heard of shoon, need to investigate!

ShyOyster Sat 01-Apr-17 22:44:38

I also quite like the look of the hamble brogues but I have always thought you have to be quite stylish/edgy to pull them off. Stylish or edgy I am most definitely not. I maybe need to try them on and see how I feel.

I have these Doc Martens and I love them. My daughter tells me they're almost cool grin

http://www.schuh.co.uk/womens/dr-martens-lyric-spin-lace-shoe-patent-black-flat-shoes/1349087040/?gclid=CKTr1ZKjhNMCFUI_Gwod4noHNw

TitaniasCloset Sat 01-Apr-17 23:16:15

Try looking in plus size shops like simply be because they do wide fit shoes and boots. I have the same problem. Just search in shoes for your size and width fitting and see what's available.

Euphemia Sun 02-Apr-17 02:42:19

Yes El Naturalista are quite wide. Very very comfy.

tallwivglasses Sun 02-Apr-17 03:10:57

Rieker. Not all fugly. Some lovely and so comfortable. I went from a 7 to a wide 8 after 2 kids too. I've given away so many uncomfortable shoes. Try these smile

Kerileegray Sun 02-Apr-17 03:21:05

New look so nice ones and some are in wide fit as well. I have a size 8/9 and can't stand to wear uncomfortable shoes but I have to look nice. These work & they're cheap too 😃

shitgibbon Sun 02-Apr-17 04:43:05

Men's brogues, from a charity shop so they've already been worn in.

I'm serious. I live in these. They're smart and super comfy.

bingohandjob Sun 02-Apr-17 07:45:14

Clarks Originals. Classic, simple and comfortable from the first wear.

VintagePerfumista Sun 02-Apr-17 15:49:57

flowers to Euphemia- I love those Naturalista ones, I have been looking for something like that- sandally but covering monster-scaring-children-big toes for ages!

Thank you!

PS Never wear anything other than Ecco or Hotter. Not nearly as fugly as the repulsion that is the <ssssh> Birkenstock grin or Salt Water. (it always amazes me when MNers rave about the latter two and diss completely the others!)

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Sun 02-Apr-17 16:01:26

PS Never wear anything other than Ecco or Hotter. Not nearly as fugly as the repulsion that is the <ssssh> Birkenstock grin or Salt Water. (it always amazes me when MNers rave about the latter two and diss completely the others!)

That's because you can look cool in Birkies or Saltwaters, nobody in the history of the world ever looked cool in Hotter shoes.

BestIsWest Sun 02-Apr-17 16:21:02

I have the first Clarks ones Euphemia linked to in dark red and they are very comfy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now