Talk

Advanced search

Shampoo for curly hair

(9 Posts)
blargargle Sat 01-Apr-17 14:01:25

I have long hair which is curly but more often than not quite frizzy. I also have had trichotillomania for 10 years now, which means my hair looks awful as ive got weird patches growing back that aren't to obvious cause of the length but exacerbate the frizz.
I am obviously trying to deal with the trich but in the meantime I was wondering what kind of shampoo you curly haired ladies would suggest? I often here you should avoid shampoo with something - I think it's sulphites? But no one ever seems to name brands! I wash it once a week and smother it in conditioner when I do because it's impossible to brush if I don't but I'm wondering if could be doing more so looking for brand recommendations.

FreeNiki Sat 01-Apr-17 14:09:37

Aveda Be Curly.

My hair now doesnt like anything else now.

They do a co-wash which is a conditioning wash with no sulphites so it doesnt lather. I also swear by the leave in curl enhancer

FreeNiki Sat 01-Apr-17 14:10:01

it is expensive but it lasts a long time.

Scootergrrrl Sat 01-Apr-17 14:11:18

I use Cantu shampoo and conditioner which you can normally get in Asian shops or on Amazon. No silicones or sulphates! Their define and shine hair custard is good too - you put it on your hair while it's wet and then I just leave mine to dry naturally.

RunningGingerFreckleyThing Sat 01-Apr-17 14:21:07

The Tresemme silicone free one works well for me.
A friend uses a silk pillowcase which she swears by. Has reduced her frizziness. I haven't tried it yet but I keep meaning to buy one.

Fortheloveofdog Sat 01-Apr-17 15:27:20

tresemme perfectly undone

RunningMommy Sat 01-Apr-17 15:53:19

I would say avoid shampoo as far as possible and co-wash (wash with conditioner) instead. I use Palmers Co-Wash and my hair is infinitely better as a result. I only use a shampoo maybe once a month if that now...

RunningMommy Sat 01-Apr-17 15:53:59

If you look up Curly Girl Method you'll find loads of advice re methods etc

wendylondongb Mon 17-Apr-17 16:40:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now