Talk

Advanced search

Quick tips to make you feel / look better on miserable days

(23 Posts)
MuckedUpAgain Sat 01-Apr-17 13:27:45

...when you feel like you can't even leave the house.

I feel too anxious to go out today and part of that anxiety is that I feel I look awful.

Logically I know people won't look or care, but what can I do to feel better- has anyone else ever felt like this & do you have any suggestions?

CarrieWatermelon Sat 01-Apr-17 13:29:59

Nice hot shower first and some nice scented body lotion so I feel fresh and lovely.

Wear something I feel physically comfy in - comfy jeans and a slouchy jumper.

Bit of foundation or bb cream and some lippie. Or if I cat be arsed with make-up, some big sunglasses grin

You'll feel better when you're out, OP flowers

thethoughtfox Sat 01-Apr-17 13:41:08

It's the weather for sunglasses!

MuckedUpAgain Sat 01-Apr-17 14:04:42

Thank you. None my clothes are comfortable right now - all too tight- I'm desperate to lose weight.

mbinsider Sat 01-Apr-17 14:17:52

Have a shower, and a face mask! Sunglasses always help.
More permanent solution: Eyelash extensions! Really make difference for me. Here's everything you need to know:
mbinsider.com/eyelash-extensions-everything-need-know/

If you often get eye bags or dark circles (I do because I'm a mom), so tear through HA injection are great and last up to a year.

hollieberrie Sat 01-Apr-17 14:29:08

@mbinsider ooh where did you get your tear trough fillers done? I really want to do this, its the main thing letting my face down..

OP, when I feel awful I go low carb for a few days (helps me drop a few pounds quickly), wear outfits I feel comfy but good in (usually something like slim leg jeans, a dark plain top, a long necklace & converse), whack on some extra make up, big sunnies and go. Big sunnies are def the main thing - previous posters are right grin

user1490538976 Sat 01-Apr-17 14:33:28

I have a go to outfit that I know I feel good in ..for me it's boring and basic but I always feel nice
Dark indigo skinny jeans
White top
Some form of shoe
Bright red bag(how can you feel blue with a bright handbag)

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 01-Apr-17 14:34:43

Long Term/Short Term

Today - if you don't leave the house, put on an intensive conditioner (you can use your bog standard one ) wrap in clingfilm, towel/turbie wrap

Double cleanse, apply face pack

Get out your razors/wax/epilator/Veet ....whatever you use

Body scrub - you can use salt or sugar in a light oil or some shower gel

Scrub
Shower
Rinse hair
Rinse face pack
Depilate
Nice body lotion if you CBA

Water- lots of water

Longer term - those clothes. Do you want to keep them or dump them?
If you don't want to keep the clothes, have an online browse.
If you do, well, you need to rethink YOU

Eyelash extensions? Lot of money to have something glued to your face ( Mink??? Seriously? ) that will in all likelyhood ruin you lashes.

Save your money and get them dyed (or ask someone with a steady hand to dye them for you)

Book a haircut. Instant moral boost.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 01-Apr-17 14:37:43

I am starting as of today back on my Wheat Free (I have IBS and have to be careful. I don't eat bread but I do have the odd pasta or pizza type) It makes me tired , bloaty and meh to have wheat.
I don't do Low Carb, still have rice ,oats, corn (like corn tacos) but feels loads better if I cut the wheat out.

Worth a try?

DefinitelyOdd Sat 01-Apr-17 15:12:56

Op, this was me yesterday. So I decided that I wasn't going to force myself out while I felt like a troll from lord of the rings.

Instead I:
Had a bath and kept topping up the hot water
Put a intensive hair mask on
Did a double cleanse
Shaved all the winter hair away
Did a face mask and pore strips
Put my fancy body lotion on
Put my Bridget Jones esque jimjams on
Watched netflix and ate icecream

As a result today I am completely able to face the world. Sometimes we just need a day of pampering I think.

GuyMartinsSideburns Sat 01-Apr-17 18:58:39

I've been feeling super shit lately too op. I've got 2 pairs of jeans I fit in comfortably so I'm living in those and it's doing my head in. I'm also growing out a pixie cut blush bad times haha. The first day I had a cry and felt sorry for myself, then had a walk in the afternoon. Next day a friend came round for a coffee and a natter, we talked about ways to feel less shit. Today I decided to get back on low carbing, and started the 30 day shred. I was going to go for a run too but I've cricked my neck! So I've just had a hot bath, I'm going to use a body lotion next and once I'm dressed in something comfy I will cleanse my face properly and maybe have a cup of tea in the garden in the last of the days sun.

Later when the kids are in bed I'm going to tidy the lounge, light a candle and poss get an early night. New day tomorrow flowers

I'm also going to order some big sunglasses grin

mbinsider Sun 02-Apr-17 14:27:10

@hollieberrie where are you based? Perhaps it's better to PM me.

Snorfig Sun 02-Apr-17 15:06:44

I suffer with terrible anxiety and paranoia during my period. Today I looked in the mirror and hated what I saw, felt embarrassed . Tired, fat, blotchy, weird hair.
Then I forced myself into my running kit and went out in the sun for 40mins, followed by a whizz round H&M whilst still riding high on my endorphin buzz. Bought some cheap and cheerful sale items to perk me up. Would you believe it, when I looked in the mirror a couple of hours later I saw a slimmer, happier person looking back at me. So much of it comes down to self-love and self care.
Easier said than done, and I know it's not possible if you suffer with any physical limitations or disability. But it worked for me today.

dementedma Sun 02-Apr-17 18:34:52

Shit weekend here. So,Garnier moisture bomb face mask after Nip and Fab face scrub. Hot bath. Hoof file on troll feet,cut toenails, painted toenails and rubbed in coconut oil. Shaved legs. Washed and conditioned hair. Local charity shop yielded a gorgeous purple wrap dress(£4), and supermarket yielded ok pair of grey linen-look trousers for work(£14). Feeling better....

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 02-Apr-17 18:41:47

Another one who felt crappy yesterday. I had a huge, long bath, did a facemask, pedicure and manicure, nice perfume, tinted my eyebrows and eyelashes. Didn't get dressed or go out, just put on fresh pyjamas. Felt so much better for a day of lying around and just taking time to look after myself. I think it can be good to have a day of rest.

ReluctantlyRedundant101 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:27:18

An expensive lipstick! At the minute for me its a charlotte tilbury one. It lovely to use and I wear it as a reminder that I'm worth having nice things on days when I feel crappy
flowers for you - so many people feel the same

EleanorRigbysNeice Sun 02-Apr-17 20:34:13

Then in that case OP, DONT LEAVE THE HOUSE! I'd do nothing for the day (sometimes it's very necessary). Settle into a good book in clothing you are comfy in. There are days when I just feel utterly drained and emotional (DS very ill at the moment) and frankly, it takes all my time to do the "absolute musts".

Then, maybe tomorrow, if you feel better....get out for a walk in the fresh air. Treat yourself to a new lippie (something brightening) or an intensive hair conditioner. Nothing wildly expensive but just a little treat.

Softkitty2 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:39:08

I lack sleep because I have a baby that doesn't sleep. I find that taking time to do my make up makes me feel better, I focus on my undereye and slap on correctors and concealer..

Clothes wise I have been purchasing timeless pieces that do not need to be changed every season.. Button down cotton tops and a pair of good jeans or trousers with a smart pair of trainers

Makes me feel put together even when I feel weary on the inside

JemimaMuddledUp Mon 03-Apr-17 04:55:38

I've spent the weekend feeling meh. Have a cracked rib which is making me feel like a cranky old granny (and which is why I am on MN at 4am), I've also put weight on over the winter.

Last night I enlisted my DD's help and had a pamper session. Deep conditioned my hair, shaved my legs, exfoliated and moisturised, used an acid peel on my face, painted my nails a lovely spring shade of pastel pink. I planned my outfit for work today - a Boden dress which is very flattering and hides my wobbly bits. Now feel much better. Also plan to wear big sunglasses grin

FrustratedFrugal Mon 03-Apr-17 05:51:24

Start your morning with a cappucino. Shower, blow dry hair, pick a flattering lipstick shade.

Long-term work: meditation exercises, cognitive behavioral stuff, journaling, finding time for things that you love to do, getting immersed in them, regular, anxiety-busting exercise and lots of vitamins and protein.

These have worked for me!

bluejelly Mon 03-Apr-17 08:10:24

Some great suggestions here. If you can go for a walk in nature - even the local park - I guarantee you will feel a bit better. The sun is out, spring is in the air. There are things in the world bigger than ourselves smile

ladygracie Mon 03-Apr-17 08:21:04

P

MuckedUpAgain Mon 03-Apr-17 17:25:49

Some great suggestions here - thanks. Intrigued by ladyGracie's though..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now