Talk

Advanced search

Can I wear COS if I'm not tall and thin?

(12 Posts)
PaperdollCartoon Fri 31-Mar-17 17:25:52

Doing some annual leave internet 'window' shopping and stumbled into COS. Quite a few bits that look lovely, but the only people I've ever seen wearing COS in real life are very tall, thin and attractive friends. I'm 5"2 and a size 12, not fat but squishy working on losing a stone. Being short makes me rounder at this size! I'm not massively booby but I do have much more than the models.

If you're not tall and then either how have you got on shopping there?

wiltingfast Fri 31-Mar-17 17:27:41

YES! Love it. Am 5'3" and s 12

Pistachiois50pmore Fri 31-Mar-17 17:30:39

Hmm I'm 5'10 and curvy and it works for me, which suggests that most of it is geared towards taller people. It often skims over lumpy bits and emphasises other features like legs or wrists, which suits me.

HOWEVER! If you take six things into a Cos changing room then you will hate two, be confused by two, and love the other two. This applies to everyone. What is terrible on me might be amazing on you. And until about year 2 of regularly shopping there it will be impossible to predict which is which. So I think you really need to get to a store if poss, or be prepared to do a big online order and potentially send all or most of it back.

Ethelswith Fri 31-Mar-17 17:30:56

My lovely friend who is about 5'4 and takes the largest size COS makes looks absolutely wonderful in this

www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Dresses/Dress_with_stitched_detailed_hem/46881-64060001.1#c-24479#Rel?PC=

I think some of the boxy styles only work if you're willowy, but the ones with a waist can be great.

Pistachiois50pmore Fri 31-Mar-17 17:31:51

BTW a Medium in Cos is a 14-16 (http://www.cosstores.com/gb/Customer_Service/Size_guide_-_Women) so you really don't have to be thin!

PaperdollCartoon Fri 31-Mar-17 17:43:55

Thanks all! You give me hope. Also not averse to getting things taken up to get them the right length, but cuts can be troublesome.

Yes Pistachiois I am thinking I might fall between 2 sizes which is a bit difficult. Is the M an ACTUAL 14-16 or EU sizes that come up small?

Pistachiois50pmore Fri 31-Mar-17 17:51:04

Sizing true to size verging on generous. It's true to size on the waisted stuff... on the boxy tent stuff, it's true to size if you accept that it's "supposed to be like that".

PaperdollCartoon Fri 31-Mar-17 18:07:53

That's helpful, thank you

mrsrhodgilbert Fri 31-Mar-17 23:00:28

I think the sizing is very random. I'm a 14 but sometimes have to take the largest size. I agree about having to take an armful of items to try on. I wouldn't dare do mail order, it's very hard to tell what will look good or indeed fit. But I'm only 5'5" and I love it and the new Leeds store has done very well out of me.

CarrieWatermelon Sat 01-Apr-17 10:59:04

I'm a tall, size 12 hourglass shape ...and Cos looks horrendous on me.

But I have a short and very curvy (guessing a size 16/18?) colleague and she looks fabulous in Cos. It really suits her. She ears dark tights and heels with those short, boxy dresses they do, or fitted trousers with the long tops which look shapeless and baggy on me, but amazing on her.

Def worth going to a store and trying stuff !

AFierceBadRabbit Sat 01-Apr-17 14:26:14

I love COS and have quite a few items, but I do choose them carefully and to flatter my body type.
I am 5'4 and by most people's standards I'm probably 'thin'.
Some of the XS stuff buries me, so the thin myth is unfounded as it would be much better if i had more ample bosoms and wider shoulders, I think.

Skirts do seem to swamp me, even in the smallest size (26 waist) but I dare say would look better if I as tall.

I tend to purchase mainly tops, knits, shirts and accessories for this reason. The quality always pleases mesmile

So yes, maybe ideal target is tall but the thin part---- not so much. I have no idea why peole think tall and thin is some sort of ideal bodytype. There's nothing remotely wrong with it of course, but I often think many of the models on websites are wearing much smaller samples than suggested (or the clothes are pinned to hang correctly in photos) as the stuff often buries me.

hettie Sat 01-Apr-17 14:39:20

I finally bought something from there today. I have always thought I should like the clothes (I like a bit more interesting tailoring/detailing) but whenever I've tried something on I've been a bit meh...
I'm 5' 4 and a size 8/10, and some of the stuff has swamped me. I bought a white shirt with tie neck, a navy slash neck top and a cream t-shirt .....None of it very exciting, but nice quality and detailing. Apart from a pencil skirt I'd give the skirts and trousers a miss and the oversize boxy jumpers look crap on me....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now