Talk

Advanced search

Make-up for fifty-ish frump?

(22 Posts)
floraeasy Fri 31-Mar-17 16:59:38

Looking for a bit of help if you can spare me a bit of time, please smile

I am overweight (dieting).

Very pale skin. Not too bad with wrinkles. Probably 'cos I'm overweight!

I do get crinkles round eyes and mouth when I smile though.

My skin is PALE. VERY. Also very rosy cheeks!

I currently use:-

Olay primer
L'Oreal True Match foundation
L'Oreal True Match powder
No 7 Pop 'n' Glow Blusher

Really not happy with any of it!

My foundation looks chalky and a bit drying in my eye crinkles.
Powder heightens eye wrinkles too. Think I need to quit powder habit.
My blusher is much too bright.

I could do with suggestions for the following

Fake tan for pale skin
A blusher for pale skin that doesn't make me look like a clown
Make-up that does not make my thin, dry, pale skin older-looking

I am not good at make-up. Sometimes I think I look okay but then I see myself in sunlight and the horror! My make-up never looks well applied.

I live hundreds of miles away from a department store which I could get a makeover.

Always wear some, but in the same old rut I've been in for years.

Thanks all!

clangermum Fri 31-Mar-17 17:09:23

Hi floraeasy could I join in with another fifty-ish request along similar lines, which might be helpful?

I would love to do a short make-up course but would probably die of embarassment if doing it 'in person'.

I know there are thousands of online tutorials so it's hard to know where to start. Could someone recommend something online that goes through the essentials from the beginning? Or is more relevant for the - ahem - more mature?

floraeasy Fri 31-Mar-17 17:16:12

Oh please do, clangermum - the more the merrier! We could even end up helping each other!

floraeasy Fri 31-Mar-17 17:17:30

Yes, I'm quite shy too and can't see me doing anything "in person".

I've definitely lost my mojo. I used to be a bit more experimental when I was a young woman about town, but you can get away with more then, can't you? I don't want to look too daft and desperate, but I definitely need an update and all the help I can get, really!!

ilovecherries Fri 31-Mar-17 18:14:11

On YouTube its worth watching Hot and Flashy (Angie) and sugar puff and fluff (Nisha). Angie is about 54 I think, Nisha a little younger. Both are into Botox and fillers as well, so you won't end up looking exactly like them, but both do excellent make up tutorials. Lisa Eldridge is a pro make and artist.

SingingSilver Fri 31-Mar-17 18:34:17

Don't worry about fake tan too much for the next couple of months.

I am also very pale and agree that True Match is chalky. A good one I keep going back to is No7 Stay Perfect. They colour match you, but if you are Rose Ivory in True Match you might get on well with Calico. It's warmer.

Cream blushers work better than powder on mature skin. Bourjois Cream Blush in 01 is excellent. Very natural and you can build it up.

floraeasy Fri 31-Mar-17 21:21:04

Oooh thank you for those tips.

I was wondering if my True Match problems were my own ineptitude, but if you have also found it chalky. I'll try No7 next. Thanks!

I'll get that blusher.

Also, thanks for the tutorial tips on youTube.

I can see I have a lot of work to do smile

PollyPerky Fri 31-Mar-17 21:46:45

why not go along to a counter for a make up lesson? Bobbi Brown is good and non scarey.
Stop thinking you are over the hill at 50+. You aren't. It's all in the mind.

babybarrister Fri 31-Mar-17 21:54:57

Armani foundation is your friend

dementedma Fri 31-Mar-17 21:57:05

Urban Decay eyeshadows are very good. Am fifty something and find them flattering and with staying power.

Rallyaddict Fri 31-Mar-17 23:09:59

I'm 52, with dark hair, pale skin, rosy cheeks and blue eyes. I use Clarins foundation - the Skin Illusion one in Nude. It's light and a lovely colour for me - not too yellowish. I'd second the suggestion about Bobbi Brown - i've had a couple of make over sessions with them which have been v helpful and zero pressure to buy. I have blusher from them and most of my eye stuff.

In the summer, I use a very subtle Clarins Golden glow that you mix with your moisturiser that very gently tans your face/neck - the effect is subtle and can be built up gradually according to preference. Once I have a tan, I move more into coral lip colours and gold/browny eyes, and I have a lovely Guerlain bronzer that can be used too.
In the winter, it's blue pink lips or berry tones plus grey/plum eye colours.

Rallyaddict Fri 31-Mar-17 23:12:34

I'd also suggest rethinking your moisturiser as any make up will look better on well moisturised skin that isn't too thirsty. Again, I use Clarins as that works for me.

Following advice on here I now use a Paula's Choice exfoliator and I've been pleasantly surprised by how much brighter and clearer my skin is looking now.

N0tfinished Fri 31-Mar-17 23:46:54

Estée Lauder Perfectionist is my fave foundation. Very smooth & doesn't cling to dry patches or settle in lines. Tons of shades too, and they're always generous with samples when I go to counters.

For lighter days I love Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue. Sheer coverage but lovely on dry skin.

Bare Minerals also have a new bronzer out (Invisible Bronze) that's very flattering. I'm quite fair & got the shade fair/light. It's soft so you can go wild & it won't look OTT.

My favourite blushes are by a brand called The Balm (Debenhams).

Kennington Sat 01-Apr-17 07:26:49

It doesn't sound like you need much blush. How about an illuminator. These are great and give a dewy look.
I think a hair tint - balayage also might be good for you too.

Softkitty2 Sat 01-Apr-17 07:31:08

Go to the estee lauder, bobbi brown or laura mercier counter and look at their products, they do bb creams which are tinted and give your skin a dewy moisturised look. I agree about not using a bronzer but an overall face/finishing powder that you apply to the areas where you would contour..

Also try an illuminating primer that just gives you that glow

If you have fine lips, use a liner

Groom eyebrows and tint them

clangermum Sat 01-Apr-17 08:10:48

Thanks for all the tutorial tips - that's our weekend sorted floraeasy

I would also second an eyebrow tint. I had mine done at a salon for a while, then switched to a home kit - eyelure - which, once I got the hang of it, works well for me

ACloudCoosHi Sat 01-Apr-17 08:20:20

I agree with going down a primer route.

I wear the Garnier tinted BB cream. It's a very light primer and foundation mixed together. It comes in a light and dark option. It's not expensive.

Also, well done on the diet front. I carry probably a stone (+) more than I should, but my face looks considerably younger than some of my skinnier friends. My DM said you have to chose between your face and your body!!

Wincarnis Sat 01-Apr-17 08:20:53

In the same boat (but with freckles, no rosy cheeks). Have tried many foundations to find one that covers up the bad bits, doesn't sit in the wrinkles or give a strange 'sheen' (bare minerals, looking at you)

Currently using Elizabeth Arden flawless finish sponge on cream makeup, vanilla shell. Not very 'trendy' but it does the job nicely !

CWBB Sat 01-Apr-17 09:40:24

Another vote for Boots No 7 - I like the Instant Radiance foundation which goes on smoothly with medium coverage. I top this up with the matching stick concealer over blotchy areas. The colour matching gadget they use seems pretty reliable and is quick and painless, you dont need to hang around for ages while the assistant plasters stuff on your face (which I hate!).

PollyPerky Sat 01-Apr-17 11:38:41

The Boots colour match only works if your skin fits with the shades they offer. Even the palest shade they do (calico) is too dark for me. It looked grey and far too pink toned.

veryveryquietly Sat 01-Apr-17 22:09:37

Agree w/ previous posters that you may need to step up your moisturiser, and that will help with makeup application. What's your current skin care routine? You don't have to adopt a giant 7 step routine, but a better moisturiser (and sunscreen!) can make a huge difference.

Also, if you do apply powder to set your foundation, are you brushing the excess off? It's easy with a powder puff to load it on, when powder should be used pretty sparingly. Either press it lightly on with the puff then use a brush to get the excess off - or apply with a brush. The Real Techniques powder brush is nice, or the Eco Tools brand - you can get them both at Boots.

Please don't worry about the issues of going to a dept store counter, even if you're shy. Since it's far away though, do you have a trustworthy friend you could take, and make a day of it? Agree v much with those recommending Bobbi Brown for this. (You can even book an appointment online at their website for the store of your choice - don't even need to use the phone.) Bobbi Brown counters are always good for this kind of thing as the philosophy is natural but better, and they also have a really wide range of foundation types and shades so you can get exactly the right one. It's not cheap, but in your cosmetics budget, best to spend more on foundation to get a good quality and perfect shade match, whereas there are very affordable, great mascaras, blushes, eyeshadows, and lipsticks at Boots and Superdrug.

My mom always said, spend more on getting the right bra, and all your clothes will look better. Same goes for foundation and makeup.

MinnieF1 Sat 01-Apr-17 23:27:27

If you're as pale as I am, calico from no 7 will be too dark so I'd definitely go in store and get matched.

Rimmel do some pale shades but they're quite pink toned.

I think peachy-coral blushers look really flattering on pale skin. Benefit coralista is my favourite. Collection do a pale pink copy of a Bobbi brown shimmer brick which is also lovely (but very glowy so apply sparingly!). If you were wanting to spend a bit more, I'd recommend going to either a Nars, Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown or Estée Lauder counter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now