Talk

Advanced search

Folliculitis (I think)

(17 Posts)
ShoutOutToMyEx Fri 31-Mar-17 12:26:50

I've been suffering with red bumps and ingrown hairs after I shave my legs for years, but it seems to have really got worse in the last 12 months.

I saw my GP and she said it looked like folliculitis - some people just get this, apparently, and all she could suggest was not shaving.

I don't really want to start waxing - I hate that in between bit when you're too hairy to wear skirts/shorts but not hairy enough for another wax!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me that don't involve not shaving? I've tried using single blade razors, exfoliating before shaving, exfoliating after, I moisturise every day... has anyone found away to avoid the dreaded red bumps?!

It's really getting me down because I actually like my legs - probably the only part of my body I'm confident about - and want to get them out!

Thanks so much for any advice smile

lollypopcorn Fri 31-Mar-17 12:44:18

If it's folliculitis you should have been prescribed antibiotics. Care with shaving can help avoid getting it again but you don't need to avoid it altogether and that won't make it go away now. Folliculitis is an infection and you shouldn't have just been fobbed off. (I say this having had it twice.) sorry but I think you need to see another GP.

lollypopcorn Fri 31-Mar-17 12:45:15

And actually I'm not sure it is folliculitis - that causes lumps/boils. It's also contagious so if your GP does think you have it it's not ok to just send you away.

PenelopeFlintstone Fri 31-Mar-17 12:49:29

Anything with salicylic acid is meant to be good, or other cosmetic acids. I actually noticed the other day that I have 500ml of canine ear wash shock and salicylic acid is the active ingredient. I'm thinking about wiping it on my arms and knees with a cotton wool ball grin

ShoutOutToMyEx Fri 31-Mar-17 12:55:00

Thank you lolly. She did fob me off, a bit. I even brought along photos from when it's been really bad, and she didn't even want to see past the first one. No mention of antibiotics at all. Google tells me there are non-infectious types, but I'm going to make another non urgent appointment I think.

ShoutOutToMyEx Fri 31-Mar-17 12:56:01

penelope let me know if that works! I'll try anything at this point!

PenelopeFlintstone Fri 31-Mar-17 13:00:04

There's a website, and forum maybe, all about it. Google and you'll find it straight away. I haven't seen it for ages but when you look at it it'll provide huge perspective. It did for me, anyway.

SilentlyScreamingAgain Fri 31-Mar-17 13:19:53

I think there are at least two types, fungal and bacterial. On the off chance that it's the fungal type, Head and Shoulders, lathered and left on for a couple of minutes, works almost instantly, the redness and itchiness die down within a couple of hours.

I imagine it wouldn't do any harm if you've got the other type.

RoganJosh Fri 31-Mar-17 13:22:38

I scrub with a very rough scrubby sponge every day which helps a bit.
Mine has been exacerbated by skinny jeans I think.

ShoutOutToMyEx Fri 31-Mar-17 14:14:57

Thank you everyone, this is all good stuff smile

Softkitty2 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:06:12

Exfoliate lightly everyday? Also, apparently folliculitis could be a sign of diabetes.

ShoutOutToMyEx Fri 31-Mar-17 15:34:54

Oh god really?

aniceearlynight Fri 31-Mar-17 21:42:32

Bit random I know but our cat has it and vet prescribed antibiotics and told me to wash the affected area every day with hibiscrub - that pink surgical handwash. Apparently it has some active ingredient that can help.

Hulder Fri 31-Mar-17 23:24:09

Can you afford laser? Or at least a home IPL device?

I used to get loads of ingrown hair and dreadful itching after shaving and laser has been an absolute godsend for me.

PenelopeFlintstone Sat 01-Apr-17 11:36:39

I've just realised everything I've said above is for what sufferers call KP - short for keratosis polaris. Have a look at that online.
Another thing people use is cream with urea in it, such as Eulactyl Heel Balm and similar. I'd go easy with it on my arms and legs though.
Your bumps aren't generally infected are they?

ShoutOutToMyEx Sat 01-Apr-17 21:50:04

Mmm, they often have a white head like a spot.

Washed my legs with head and shoulders today!

hollieberrie Sat 01-Apr-17 22:36:08

I get the fungal kind. Head and shoulders works as does hibi scrub. I had to stop shaving though, sorry OP! When it's really bad I get a course of oral antifungal tablets from my gp or self medicate with Canestan tablets from the chemist

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now