Talk

Advanced search

Capsule wardrobe?

(18 Posts)
ChipIn Fri 31-Mar-17 06:39:37

I have a very full wardrobe and only wear about 15% of the clothes in there, on rotation. And even then it takes me ages to get dressed. I've been reading about capsule wardrobes and as easy as they sound, I don't know whether they'll work in real life... does anyone have one and swear by it? Is it really worth getting rid of loads of clothes and buying more? Coming in to winter down under so I do need to update my wardrobe anyway...

Kennington Fri 31-Mar-17 07:29:52

Me: I have a basic capsule uniform and love it
I get dressed up differently for a night out but basically I wear slim ankle grazer black trousers and fine merino knits or silk t shirt plus ankle boots all year

itsacatastrophe Fri 31-Mar-17 07:39:37

Me. I own about 25 items of clothing (last count was 23 but I've purchased and removed a few since). That covers winter and summer clothes plus work and weekend wear. So easy to dress each morning.
I'd recommend you start by buying or borrowing Marie kondo's life changing magic of tidying book and follow her instructions with clothing.

goodpiemissedthechips Fri 31-Mar-17 07:42:05

I like www.un-fancy.com/ which is based on the same premise, I've found it very helpful.

You don't need to take the plunge and ditch a whole lot of clothes right off the bat (how's that for a mixed metaphor?), you can put the extras away in a box and reassess at the end of the season.

KarmaNoMore Fri 31-Mar-17 08:02:27

Search Project 333. It is a good place to start.

I tried it earlier this week just to find out I'm already doing it (although there are a few items I still don't wear).

What did it for me was a Colour Me Beautiful consultation (style and colour) years ago. Since all I buy fits the shape of my body and combines with the colour of my hair/skin. I need to buy less things as I use (frequently) most of what I have.

dinosaursandtea Fri 31-Mar-17 09:18:04

I started doing this a year ago and haven't regretted it for a second. Agree with PP that Unfancy is THE blog to read if you want to get started.

I am the antithesis of a morning person, so I really needed something that was going to make it easier for me to get dressed in my pre-coffee fugue and still look decent. My go-to is long-sleeve t-shirts and a blazer over trousers or skirts with a statement necklace. I have 30 items of clothing including winter stuff and shoes and it's so much easier to get a pulled together look first thing!

Scandicat Fri 31-Mar-17 12:13:16

I'm trying this. I've lost weight and am trying to buy new clothes that are better quality rather than a lot of average stuff like I did before. I'm much happier in myself but feel like I need to learn again what I like to wear now that I'm a different size.

I've looked at un-fancy which I've found helpful. I'm also working through a book called The Curated Closet - there is also a website - not sure if this link works anuschkarees.com. The book isn't a quick fix, its about working out what suits you. I've just done an exercise where I've photographed myself every day for a fortnight and it then asks you questions so you can assess what you are currently wearing, what works and what doesn't. I've found it really interesting.

Kennington - where do you get nice silk tshirts from. I'm looking for some but can't find anything nice.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Fri 31-Mar-17 12:25:18

Apologies for gate crashing the thread but I have a question for those of you that have capsule wardrobe and are happy with it: how much are you into clothes/fashion?

I'm really tempted to give capsule wardrobe a go, I'm normally quite restrained in the rest of my life but with clothes I feel I have loads but continue buying. I get a new item each week on average, sometimes one small thing sometimes more. It makes me happy to have these little updates, but I also sometimes feel guilty at the sheer amount of it...

It sounds like this may not be for me, but if you are into fashion, can you tell me how did you make the shift to restricted wardrobe? How do you make sure you don't get bored of it?

dinosaursandtea Fri 31-Mar-17 12:34:43

I'm REALLY into clothes, and for me the capsule wardrobe helps. It means I can wear stuff I love, classics jazzed up with the odd trend piece, and I don't have a wardrobe stuffed with impulse buys I don't like a week later.

FinallyHere Fri 31-Mar-17 12:36:28

I found the capsule approach much easier after I had sorted out the colours and styles that suit me. I had outside help with this, but know lots of people who worked it out for themselves. Before this, I kept changing my mind about my 'basic' colours. Now I know the colours and style, I have the confidence to buy some more expensive pieces, because I know that they will continue to 'work' with everything else.

As for fashion, meh. I do adjust a bit, but only ever within the shapes and fabrics that work for me. Some seasons, I buy loads because 'my' colours are everywhere. Other times, I just ignore new clothes and use my existing wardrobe. Over the years, I have built up outfits for every occasion, so I never need to buy something urgently. Bliss, actually.

isambardo Fri 31-Mar-17 12:51:39

I like a capsule wardrobe because I don't like fashion and clothes shopping and I'm not great at styling. If you enjoy clothes I think you'd be bored and wouldn't have a capsule wardrobe for long.

KatyS36 Fri 31-Mar-17 13:13:18

I've decided I have four capsule wardrobes. My work clothes and casual clothes are very different but I'm happy with that. I couldn't wear a hoody to work and for me blazers just feel wrong out of work. Likewise I have separate summer and winter wardrobes for both. I can't tolerate long sleeves when warm, but need them in winter. I not rigid about pieces crossing over (jeans are both summer and winter casual) , but thinking about my wardrobe in this way for me makes a lot of sense. It slipped means I get a new wardrobe twice a year when I swap clothes out of storage and so don't get bored. Katy

ChipIn Fri 31-Mar-17 13:20:32

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's good to know they do actually work and aren't just life-hacks that have no place in real life... I will end up with two wardrobes as there's such a big difference with summer and winter temps but coming into winter I can get started with that!

FiddleFigs Fri 31-Mar-17 14:09:52

I'm currently reading "The Curated Closet" by Anushka Rees, which is about creating a capsule wardrobe but has you think a lot about your personal style. I also recommend a book called Over-dressed, if you wish to be cured of adding to an already full wardrobe - it's about the social cost of cheap fashion (in a nut-shell, buy less but buy better).

Good luck - there is something very liberating about having a smaller wardrobe to work with.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Fri 31-Mar-17 14:27:18

The trouble is I don't buy cheap! I mean, it's mostly mid-range like COS, Stories, Muji, H&M Premium collection, Toast, APC and Sessun in a mix of sales and eBay, so it's good quality and rarely super trendy.

I cull couple of times a year and donate to friends and charity shops and I actually do wear most of the stuff I own. But storage is an issue. And guilt!

Kennington Fri 31-Mar-17 14:42:06

I get silk t shirts and shirts from the outnet, other stories and whistles.
Plain grey or black for me.

Scandicat Fri 31-Mar-17 14:46:14

Perfect. Thanks Kennington

PaperdollCartoon Fri 31-Mar-17 16:16:44

I've moved towards this. I still have too many clothes and need to streamline more, but I stick to a particular colour palette I know suits now. I need to lose about a stone, hopefully over the next couple of months, and then I'll streamline further when I know what looks right at that weight.
I wouldn't say I'm particularly stylish, but I do like to look put together. Less choice in the morning helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now