Talk

Advanced search

Nose piercing advice please [sad]

(24 Posts)
AyeAyeFishyPie Thu 30-Mar-17 21:03:18

I got my nostril pierced in October. It developed a small bump so I continued with saline soaks and it healed beautifully. On Saturday just gone I tried to take it out for the first time. It came out fine but putting it back in hurt and i struggled (its a screw and i just couldn't get the technique). It developed like a film of blood over the piercing. I took a shower, tried again and it went in. It bled a tiny bit. It hurt a lot but stopped after that day. Now there is a bit of white stuff coming from it. I'm cleaning it twice a day again but my skin is a bit dry. Do you think it is infected? It's not hot or painful. What can i do? So upset because it had healed so well!

TIA.

AyeAyeFishyPie Fri 31-Mar-17 16:44:41

Hopeful bump?

BusterGonad Fri 31-Mar-17 16:58:03

I had mine done years ago, I tried twice, it never healed! I can't help really except to say mine always went manky! 😟

Onemorewonthurt Fri 31-Mar-17 17:13:16

I had mine done about 3 years ago now, I also developed a small bump and I'm sure it was infected at one point to.
It's only really been the last 12 months or so that I can take it out and put it back with no discomfort. Previously if it came out when I tried to put it back in it was as if it healed slightly really quickly!
It's absolutely fine now, definitely took more than 12 months to heal properly, just keep cleaning it when possible yours should be fine too!

PegEgg Fri 31-Mar-17 17:43:53

Ok this is a bit....left field....but are you breastfeeding by any chance? I had a similar incident with mine and yes there was a bit of infection but applied a few drops of breast milk for a couple of days and it healed up beautifully. Bit niche!

AyeAyeFishyPie Fri 31-Mar-17 18:50:44

Lol PegEgg sadly not!

NeonGod73 Fri 31-Mar-17 18:55:40

Overcleaning can be a problem. I used to clean mine only once a day and I used chamomile tea. It healed beautifully and I could put a new jewel in after 2 months.

FunkinEll Fri 31-Mar-17 19:25:10

I had almost the exact thing happen. I had mine pierced the first week of November. Changed it for a ring in February. It was traumatic to say the least. I went in cycles of it getting a bit better then a bump forming every few days. I decided to take out the ring and stick a stud back in and now it is great (I only know because the stud got pulled out when I was having my eyebrows threaded a few days ago). I think for me it was the ring that was rose gold whereas the stud was gold so the copper was making my skin react plus I think I might have been a bit hasty with changing it. I also found just rinsing it in the shower daily with normal water (recommend by piercer) stopped it getting quite as angry. I have some horrible pics. I almost pulled it out completely at the worst point.

FunkinEll Fri 31-Mar-17 19:26:09

Not sure what happened to my paragraphs

ahamsternest Fri 31-Mar-17 19:40:20

If it's not hot, red and pussy it's unlikely to be infected but it may be inflamed. I would do salt soaks as hot as you can tolerate and don't fiddle with it. The bumps tend to come and go.

ShelaghTurner Fri 31-Mar-17 19:42:25

I don't know but I've had mine pierced for 21 years and it's only in the last year that I can take it out for more than a day or so and not have it close over! It's been very high maintenance but I still love it wink

MadisonAvenue Fri 31-Mar-17 20:18:07

I'm not sure, if it's not hot and red it doesn't sound infected. Maybe just inflamed from you having difficulty with the stud.

Mine failed to heal. I used to have to stick micropore over it when I went to bed so that it wouldn't fall out if knocked in my sleep. It was absolute agony to put it back in if it did.
One day, about eight months after it'd been pierced, I knocked it and lost the stud on Tesco car park so I had to go and buy a replacement straight away. I tried and tried but there was no way that it was going back in so I admitted defeat and gave up on it.

SallyGinnamon Fri 31-Mar-17 20:21:15

You've deliberately injured yourself in a very sensitive area with mucous membranes. Your body is trying to heal it!

AyeAyeFishyPie Fri 31-Mar-17 20:32:20

Borders - I know, worst luck!

SallyGinnamon Fri 31-Mar-17 21:24:49

Can you not just let it go and wear pretty earrings instead. Earlobes are mainly blubber!

ADisappearingDreamOfYesterday Fri 31-Mar-17 21:49:07

I've always used surgical spirit on piercings (I know they say saline these days but SS is what I started with years ago grin) and it works a treat.

What kind of jewellery are you wearing? I find titanium the best, some stuff advertised as gold/silver etc is just poorly plated which isn't good (especially for nostrils which are sensitive).

I also think rings or hoops are less irritating than studs as they don't get as pulled as much, IMO anyway. Are you also using a thin gauge, I have more luck with 0.6 rather than 0.8.

A lot of people don't like hoops though, if you have studs the Andralok type ones are good, or L shaped - not the straight ones with the bulbous ends, they aren't good.

Once you get the knack and it's clean and not sore, it should be much easier.

ADisappearingDreamOfYesterday Fri 31-Mar-17 21:49:48

"Bulbous ends"

<sniggers childishly at own post>

thegoatwhogotthequiche Fri 31-Mar-17 22:35:57

What are you washing it with? the last piecing places that I went to advised using salt water.

One of the places also advised looking after your immune system too, so eating well. I also always make an extra effort to take vitamin C and zinc tablets before, and while the piercing is healing which I am convinced helps things.

AyeAyeFishyPie Fri 31-Mar-17 22:48:37

Thanks all. I am soaking it in very weak, hot saline solution. I am going to revisit the piercer on Monday. It's a bit red but the dry skin has cleared up and much less stuff coming out of it!

FoodGloriousFud Sat 01-Apr-17 08:56:57

Used cool boiled water not hot water to clean. I would also change to a titanium stud without a screw as all the moving trying to screw the ball on will be agrevating it. I've had mine done 14 years with no issues doing the above :-)

isupposeitsverynice Sat 01-Apr-17 09:00:16

My very pierced friend also swears by zinc supplement for healing.

QuizTeamaAguilera Sat 01-Apr-17 09:02:57

I've had mine pierced about 4 years with few problems, but a few weeks ago it went very sore, with a bump next to it. I'd had a cold and must have caught it while blowing my nose.

I boiled water, poured into a clean mug, lots of salt in - then waited for it to cool a bit before soaking cotton wool balls in it and kind of squeezing them over my nose piercing for about 5 mins, so it got completely rinsed with the hot salty water. It was all back to normal within 2-3 days.

thegoatwhogotthequiche Sat 01-Apr-17 10:23:13

This aftercare info here is very good. They recommend not using cotton wool as it can break off and stay behind in the wound...if anyone is near Bournemouth it is a great place to get a piercing!

AyeAyeFishyPie Sat 01-Apr-17 17:03:27

Thanks everyone! I've been following most of the advice on here - weak saline (i think the dryness comes from being to strong). Will grab some zinc though! Fingers crossed it settles - I love it so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now